Test drove the BMW K1600GT Sport-Touring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, now ain't that purdy!

victory-vision-tour-01.jpg

I like the little things like the modular helmet that's left open so the lines blend in with the bike. Now that dude is styling.

I think I'm in love. Everyone that knows me recognizes that I'm style driven and would rather go naked than have my accessories not match my outfits. I think I've finally found the style that goes with my personality!

Oh wait, it's not April 1st?

If you cross a Gold Wing with a FJR you would get the BMW K1600GT. The only thing more ugly than this side shot of the Victory is a front shot.

The only thing more ugly than this side shot of the Victory is a front shot.
I'd say it's a toss-up... :unsure:

vision_ness_p2.jpg

... And I realize it's personal taste, but I don't find the k1600 GT all that attractive. Kinda prefer the look of the R1200RT. Still too damn much $$ tho'

... And I realize it's personal taste, but I don't find the k1600 GT all that attractive. Kinda prefer the look of the R1200RT. Still too damn much $ tho'
I find that all of the overly expensive bikes look really bad to me. ;)

I think some old dude named Aesop called that sour grapes. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's a matter of opinion, and maybe it's just me, but NO WAY is that better looking than the FJR.

It's a LONG way from the front fork to the grips. Look like plow handles, sort of the like on the Goldwing or the ST. I like to be a little more "on top of it" than sitting so far back.
Your looking at the GTL which is supposed to have the HB back for more of a straight up ride. The GT is more like the FJR with a slight forward lean. Wonder if BMW pays for public ed-you-ma-cation? :)

Looks is always a matter of opinion and this is an FJR forum so I already know what most will say/think. It's OK really, I was the exact same way and still think my Feejer looks pretty cool. I have now seen the light however and when the GT (not the GTL) sat next to my FJR... sorry charlie, my FJR lost in the looks dept easily. Hey, but it should of! FJR platform is old compared to the little more than 1 year christened K1600's. I actually could tell this right off the bat by quickly looking front to back (the xenon adaptive headlights to the LED taillights). The technology and innovation rolls big time on these BUT it should at the price too (definitely expected!).

Some won't or can't progress to change (like ALL of my HD's friends who still are stuck on that old retro look!). I'm sure if MamaYama would drastically change the FJR there would be a ton of revolting going on here :lol: "Gen1 is best, Gen2 sucks, Gen3 really sucks! ...oh how easy it is to predict this! :yahoo:

So actually the K1600GT looks grew on me fast and it sure helped to hop on it and feel the difference. Not a 'Red' fan but even this one looks sweeeet...

1298914506bmw_k1600gt_and_k1600gtl_-_first_ride.jpg

BMW_K1600GT_010.jpg

2011_bmw_k1600_gt_and_gtl_13-4cabecea3a16a.jpg

Now switching gears and thinking with my "other" head... which one will this hottie want to pop her overgrown ass on? :lol: (I just had to match up the above sweet pics with another dream ride!)

391276409_oNySc-L.jpg

KJ, regarding the last picture, be sure to pick the one with the lowest maintenance costs.............. I'm voting bike!

KJ, regarding the last picture, be sure to pick the one with the lowest maintenance costs.............. I'm voting bike!
Yeah, no chit. First thing she'd want is a diamond pin for her bellybutton, then a tramp stamp over her ass, and finally, a new car for her secret boyfriend.

Stick with the bike.

Good advice Ray! And Howie are you speaking from experience :eek: but ya gotta admit she sure looks like a real fun ride! :yahoo:

391276409_oNySc-L.jpg

Well I use to think BMW's were expensive till I met Beemer Tiffany! Now I know they are :dribble: AND- as RayRay said (above^) I probably can't fit in or afford her maintenance plan.... BUT! If I had Don S' money however I would have one in a Beemer-blink of an eye! :bleh:

I through in the towel, couldn't take it anymore...

Not quite inked (but 99% done) wrote-up the deal for a loaded 2013 BMW K1600GTL but with the taller GT seat and option to get the (GT sportier style) shorter h/bars (these stick out towards driver too much for me as pic'd below).

I'm just waiting on the October(fest) announcement of the optional LED Headlights for winter/spring del'd 2013's. I'm sure it's not going to be cheap (haha, not sure if that can even be used in a BMW sentence) but if I go this far I might as well see what it costs to do the whole deal with these new headlights. It already has the adaptive Xenon low beam and angle eye LED's so this is going to very interesting how/where these are incorporated as headlights.

(for me) The GTL is just a much better deal dollar wise vs. the GT considering if you buy just the top case (rip-off priced at $1580) just by itself almost equals out the entire deal to step up to the GTL and you have some additional trim and of course factory low mounted LED Foglights (upwards of $500 as an option also). Dealer agrees "if you want the top case, go to the GTL and sport it up from sport/TOURING to SPORT/touring".

So I will "Sport-up" this GTL with the factory taller seat (no charge from BMW... miracle!), shorter handlebars (so they do not poke out towards driver for a more sportier lean forward ride (more FJRish).

drive-bmw-k-1600-gtl-img05_gallery_image_large.jpg

Congratulations on your new BMW K1600 Top_Speed1, you will absolutely love it! We AZ Beemers now have 15 K16's in our club, 9 GT's and 6 GTL's. Deutschland Uber Alles, Schatzie!

DSCF0175.jpg

SethandDoninAnacortes-1.png

P1020647.jpg

P1020657.jpg

P1020658.jpg

P1020659.jpg

P1020661.jpg

P1020665.jpg

Good advice Ray! And Howie are you speaking from experience :eek: but ya gotta admit she sure looks like a real fun ride! :yahoo:

391276409_oNySc-L.jpg
She doesn't look showroom new. Been ridden hard, put away wet, been through several owners.

Nice paint job though.

The girl looks nice on the other hand.

Thanks guys, I'd feel alot better if I didn't just lighten the bank account 30-Gold however! //---swallow---\\ :ph34r:

@Don S.

I still wanna make a "tropiece en el sur a Mexico" with you sometime. No need to put on the propeller hats as Fred mentioned (Fred u r a funny mofo! :) I actually expected a pic of some BMW guy w one on? (disappointed!). So no hats, I'm just a regular work hard everyday, play hard in between kinda guy :)

So Don, I got 2 ask a question (cuz I know you light your Gars with $50 bills and I wish I could someday too) BUT why a Givi topcase on your Beemer? Isn't that like having a Ferrari and hanging one of those pine tree air fresheners from your rearview?

DSCF0175.jpg

Thanks guys, I'd feel alot better if I didn't just lighten the bank account 30-Gold however! //---swallow---\\ :ph34r:

@Don S.

I still wanna make a "tropiece en el sur a Mexico" with you sometime. No need to put on the propeller hats as Fred mentioned (Fred u r a funny mofo! :) I actually expected a pic of some BMW guy w one on? (disappointed!). So no hats, I'm just a regular work hard everyday, play hard in between kinda guy :)

So Don, I got 2 ask a question (cuz I know you light your Gars with $50 bills and I wish I could someday too) BUT why a Givi topcase on your Beemer? Isn't that like having a Ferrari and hanging one of those pine tree air fresheners from your rearview?

DSCF0175.jpg
Buenos Dias KJ, 1) Your propeller hat is in the mail (it was originally Fred W's back when he rode Beemer!) along with your Wehrmacht marching songs play book and a discount coupon fur und Bleu und Weiss Roundel tattoo for your ass! 2) Up until a few months ago I had cinco motos in my garage, the Givi 55 liter rotated between those machines. Now the 55 just rotates between Gisele mein K16 und Miss Lucy Liu my 2003 FJR; my BMW GS has the Vario top case. I still strongly feel that the Givi topcase is superior to both the Yamaha and BMW topcases, had a Givi 52 liter topcase on before for many years and never have had a single problem with Givi equipment. 3) Kicking around a January ride to Dos Cabos en Baja California Sur, we would have our Significant Others (for SkooterG that means RadioHowie!) fly into La Paz and then would party on the beaches at Land's End for five days. And Yes, my Ferrari Daytona indeed does have a pine tree air freshener hanging from the rearview mirror (I have a strawberry scent in my 911S)! NOTE: There is the 52 liter on Lucy back in November of 2004, SkooterG's bike is ahead of mine waiting to be fueled at the gas stop in Catavina, Baja California Norte. THIS WAS BACK WHEN GREGGIEM WOULD RIDE HIS MOTO TO MEXICO WITH HIS PAPA CHUY INSTEAD OF BEING A BIG PUSSY MAN!

Baja015.jpg

KJ: HERE IS A PHOTO OF SKOOTERG AT LOS BARRILES ON THE EAST CAPE OF BAJA SUR PENINSULA BACK WHEN HE HAD HAIR ON HIS ASS!

Baja101.jpg

Thanks Don, but I can't take Fred's hat! wtf? he'd kill me :trinibob: so keep it on ice for him. I'm sure if Mama doesn't produce a new FJR sometime soon he will want to (re)enter the "Deutscher Engeneering" world.

B60225.jpg

Latest posts