Test riding '09 KLR 650 tomorrow

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrchooser

Reaction score
Coming home from mailing off a seat to a forum member and I spot a sharp Kaw dual sport leaving Planet Motorsports here in town. Hey I been wanting check one those out so I turn around and go in. As luck would have it a used 09 is on the floor with 1100 miles, still several months of warranty left.

Set up an appointment tomorrow for a test ride and was wondering if anything I should look for on this particular model ?

Checked out the motormag articles on the KLR that Kaw pointed me too and of course very positive, but when aren't they ?

Is this a bike that could make a Copper Canyon run such as Beemerdons has going ?

Lots of dirt around here I look longingly at while on the FJR but that ain't happening, figure to make it happen with this if its worthy.

Going in with a '05 M50 as a trade. Nice bike, hate to lose it if the Kaw ends up being a mistake. Any input would be appreciated before I possibly pull the trigger tomorrow.

I am concerned about the listed weight I saw in the spec sheet - 432 lbs. Previous dirt bikes were 250 2 strokes so this seems a bit hefty for dirt work to me.

Thanks

I just picked up a drz400s fer ride'n aound all the dirt here.( love'n it by the way,can squeze out over 70mpg) It's not a distance dual-sport, the KLR will easly do the distance but it would not be near the dirt duster the suzook is. If I was gonna go far the KLR is the frugal way to go!

You will get lots of opinion on the KLR. While it doesn't do any one thing great it does a lot of things really well and it has been in production since 86 with very few changes. The after market for farkles is endless. It will do Copper Canyon with ease. I am sure Beemerdons will chime in and tell you all about his mexico mule.

Could it do Copper Canyon sure. Are there better bikes for a CC trip sure. Your right about the weight if kinda beefy but if your a beefy guy with long legs that could be OK. If your looking for a bike you can ride a long ways on the highway and hit some fire roads even some two track the KLR would be good. If you want to do mostly trails the KLR might be too big and heavy. I really like my '01 KLR but I'm looking for something smaller for Copper Canyon next year.

I'm 160 lbs. in Busta mode with a 33 inch inseam so the weight is a concern. I did see a DRZ400SM ? in front of the place that was real sharp and quite a bit smaller appearing. Looked too nice for the dirt though I'd sure like to rip it around town.

My use around here would be mainly two trackers made by Amish buggys and the dirt roads they split off from. Lots of asphalt in between, as well as runs to & around town.

Last edited by a moderator:
As said before the KLR brings out a lot of opinions. It looks like I'll be taking my fastest black color 2009 KLR650 to CC with BeemerDons. Since I'll be riding it from Oregon to Arizona to start the journey, it will work on the highway. IMHO, it is a balance between street and dirt with an emphasis on street (the weight helps with crosswinds for example). But a few modifications make it a very capable two track bike and more (depending on rider skills). Many have gone around the world on them. Very easy to work on.

Things to look for: If the bike went over without NERF bars on, look for radiator damage under the left cowling. Ask if the doohickey was done and see if the PO left a receipt as proof. Weak points are the rear brake mount, rear brake reservoir, and subframe bolt (can crack if under a lot of weight and stress). Some burn oil if you run at high RPM for extended periods (you'll see some soot at the exhaust). The oil filter cap easily cracks and some casings have lousy castings and there is a minor oil leak at the oil filter.

2008+ models have an upgraded shock, shift and brake levers, fairing (more street oriented), brakes and other more or less minor changes, and a big 6+ gallon tank as a stock item.

Upgrades needed: Subframe bolts, Rear brake mount and guard, NERF Bars, aluminum skid plate, Thermo-Bob (coolant regulator). If you head for real dirt, gravel, mud etc. get some knobbier tires like D606. Mine run up and down muddy logging trails, gravel, etc. easily. Most of these are $50-$150 fixes. The NERF bars range in price and weight.

Nice-to-have farkles: Custom seat and suspension, no matter what bike you are talking about. I upgraded the shift pedal, but I probably didn't have to, a brake snake, Gel battery to replace the wet cell stocker. A tool tube is a good idea. Some swap out the sprockets to raise or lower gearing. A bigger sidestand foot is good. Luggage is cheap. The thing I really like is innovation and cheap farkles that work are reveared on this bike.

Tons more farkles available depending on needs, tastes and money.

I find the faster you go the more stable she is. But in very slow tight stuff she is a pig. Bt I admit I like this bike a lot.

I'll post links to some threads later. I hope you get what suits your needs.

EDIT: Some links in my KLR journey. Some might be of more use than others to you.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=118950&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=119022&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=119596&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=119860&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=119961&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=119853&hl=

And of course you found Beemerdons Copper Canyon thread and some of my modifications and KLR questions/answers are embedded in that. Two spots are left open, by the way!

Thanks Shiny, really helpful post though much of its greek to me.

Whats a doohickey ? Sounds important. The bike has KLR fabric and thin plastic saddlebags and trunk the dealer set on it, wants 340 additional for them. Are they worth having, they sure don't add much weight ?

Thanks Shiny, really helpful post though much of its greek to me.Whats a doohickey ? Sounds important. The bike has KLM fabric and thin plastic saddlebags and trunk the dealer set on it, wants 340 additional for them. Are they worth having, they sure don't add much weight ?
Here is a short thread that has an excellent explanation by Wyman on KLR650.net

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.ph...light=doohickey

An excerpt:

"while the 08/09/10 balancer lever is more robust than the previous versions, its very sloppy fit on the balancer adjustment shaft is problematic...AND the OEM tension spring, in most, in my limited experience, cases provides little if any tension and is at its limit of use...

installing the EagleMike balancer lever (Doohickey) AND HIS torsion spring will give your KLR the correct parts to keep the balancer chain in proper tension over the course of the engine's life...

IMHO, and those of other notables here, it is a REQUIRED mod as the results of failure are quite dramatic and catastrophic..."

That forum and ADVrider.net are excellent resources.

Eagle manufacturing makes VERY high quality replacement parts for the KLR at reasonable prices and from personal experience I can tell you Mike will call you back 7 days a week if humanly possible to help you.

https://www.eagle-m-e.com/

I forgot to answer about luggage. I don't know enough about the luggage on that bike to give an opinion. But I will say there are tons of used gear suitable or modified for the KLR. I put a $60 GIVI knockoff trunk on mine from Newenough.com and bought a couple used tankbags for $75 total. There are nerf bags, aluminum panniers and guards/mounting plates that run from $500 to thousands. And there is a guy on the net who does custom cordura bags/liners/tents/tent bags/tool bags, you name it -- to any dimension for any purpose (I have one of his creations -- truly outstanding), and prices are reasonable.

If you want the luggage, buy it. If you aren't sure, know that there are tons of options out there. Soft luggage comes on/off easy but not as durable or as waterproof. Aluminum is rugged but expensive and can break your ankle in a fall, I'm told. There is Wolfman waterproof luggage made for mid-size dual sports like the KLR that are pricey but well respected.

Hope some of this is helpful. But bottom line, if the bike doesn't feel right for you, get another one. I love mine, but you don't have to ;) .

Let us know what you decide and let me know if I can help by this thread or PM. Many here own KLR's and have much more experience riding them.

EDIT: If the luggage is the OEM small cases and trunk, they are generally considered crap for what you pay. Though some like them.

Nice to be able to go in with my eyes open now. The ride tomorrow decides whether it comes home with me or not though nothing I've heard here puts me off .

I'll pass on that luggage if I do decide to pick it up, the side cases are the small OEM, the truck bag too though its much larger than the sidecases. I wasn't impressed by them other than their light weight and I did think the price a little steep for what they are.

Thanks again for the inputs,alternatives,links, and things to look out for. Being an informed noob is so much better than being an eager consumer.

Maybe you will get this before you go...

After having a big dual sport like the R1200GS and feeling the weight of that pig off road and always worried about having the windshield smack me in the forehead after a jump and then the time it turtled on me while traversing a gully it went bye-bye. Weight is a big thing off road. Especially when it comes to sand. A co-worker here at the KLR and that was his main gripe about the bike was the top heavy weight and the soft springs in the forks. You seem pretty light so this may not be a problem for you but something to check out in the future. Used to ride with a group up here in the angeles and all the KLR guys had their forks re-worked.

NOW, since you have a long inseam check out this monster:

https://ktm.com/690-Enduro-R.100707.20.html

She is 300 lbs wet. They make kits for it that will convert it to a saddle bagger. Handles extremely well off road and has gobs of power for the street. Slipper clutch for when you motard it out and take it to the track. Comes, as KTM says, "ready to race". No performance or handling mods needed.

Don't miss the BMW even a little.

Stayed up til 4:30am going through all the links ShinyPartsUp provided. ! Felt pretty confident I knew what I was getting into by that time. Thanks Shiny !

I decided it was just too heavy for me and was biased 70% towards road work, 30% towards off-road. I need just the opposite around here since my riding areas are relatively close by.

Go back to the dealership to tell them as much and find they have a mud covered '05 KTM 400EXC Racing stored outside with several other used bikes I hadn't known about yesterday. Several hundred dollars cheaper & 180 lbs lighter. Biased much more in line with my needs. Test ride impressed me.

Down side it has no steering head lock nor ignition switch. Not missing , they never came with them ! Mind is churning up some work-arounds but I'm thinking of going back for it.

Thanks for the inputs guys, really impressed with the knowledge and willingness to share it !

The KLR is still very tempting, it really has a lot going for it. Since I'll be riding alone 99% of the time I didn't want to be dependant on the Amish coming along to help me get it back on its feet when I eventually tripped over a wagon rut.

Been several years since I've played in the dirt on anything but an ATV. Once I get my dirt skills & confidence back I'll be giving the KLR another look.