Test rode BMW R1200RT today - impression

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to disagree about the test ride. I had about 45K on an ST1300 with the bar risers, custom seat, and all the little things we do to personalize our bikes to make them fit perfectly. I loved that bike, I had every intention of riding it to at least 150K.
Then that damned SkooterG showed up with a Demo Truck. I rode the 2014 ES and within 2 miles I knew that my beloved Honda was not going to be with me much longer. Really, before I ever shifted into 3rd gear my mind was set on a new FJR. Some bikes are just that way. Or maybe some riders are just that way.
You missed my point. It's not that liking a bike on a test ride will fool you, it's that you might not like a bike on a quick ride that will really grow on you over the long haul.

If I had test ridden my FJR, I probably wouldn't own it now. The handling felt just plain weird when I first rode it and I wondered if I had made a mistake. When you test ride a bike, it almost always feels wrong because it isn't the one you spent years getting used to.

You missed my point. It's not that liking a bike on a test ride will fool you, it's that you might not like a bike on a quick ride that will really grow on you over the long haul.
No, my reading comprehension is pretty good. I think you missed my point.

For me the FJR was The Perfect Bike from the first moment. Not everyone feels that way, I get that.

Do keep in mind that the folks who shopped both bikes and bought the BMW are just as positive as we are that they picked The Right Bike. The wonderful thing is that they did pick the right bike and so did we. We all like what we like.
Please keep in mind Consumer Reports said BMW owners are more loyal to thier motorcycles than Harley riders by about 1 or 2 percent. Good grief.

I agree with Redfish, we all like our bikes. BMW owners are simply more fanatical than most about their machines.

If money was no object I might own a R1200RT because I like the lighter weight machine. I believe the luggage capability is better than the FJR. Some where I once read a BMW RT would be a great ride with a FJR engine installed. The BMW reliability sucks so I like my FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have not purchased my Tenere if I would have based my purchase on my first ride. It was not a wiz-bang first ride that knocked my pants off but I sure grew to enjoy the Tenere for what it is.

I'm actually in the BMW/FJR dilemma right now. As a longtime BMW dude (R75/5, R100GS, (2) R1100S, R1150GS, R1150RT), I'm currently without a bike for the first time since I was 11 years old. I think the new RT is too ugly to own, and I was kind of waiting on the new BMW R1200RS, so I went down to Ft. Collins yesterday to check one out. The bike was lovely and fit me well, but there were four flaws (to me) that I couldn't overlook: 1) with bags and the "Touring Package," it was over $22k otd. 2) It had a 4.8 gal tank (WHY!?). I live in Wyoming and ride in Montana a lot where the big towns followed the railroad, and the range between refuels back in the day was 100 miles, so most of the big towns are 100 miles apart (on the nose). I need a minimum 200+ mile range, and a 4.8 mile tank on a loaded bike in the wind, fighting the altitude, is something that would produce a bit of anxiety for most of my rides. 3) The wind protection/buffeting felt like something that would require numerous windshields and various mods to fix. 4) 125 hp.

So, when I got home, I called the local Yamaha shop where I knew there was a 2014 ES, but it had sold two weeks ago (my mistake). He's going to do some looking and call me today. I had a red RD350 back in 1973, so the red really sings to me. I'd be ok with the new shiny black whatever it's called. So I'll know more later today. Btw, I actually tried to buy an FJR back when I bought my 2004 RT, but FJRs were pretty hard to come by at that time.

Well, since this is an FJR forum and I am who I am...

Before jumping in get some real world info about cost of ownership, long-term reliability, and just how that legendary BMW dealership support goes if you don't do all your maintenance and repair within their network.

IMO: Buy in is high

ROI: Isn't that great based on buy-in and maintenance.

Reliability: Far too many failure reports out there of the type that leave you stranded. I actually had a group (6 or so) BMW owners hanging around kicking tires at a RTE who all agreed that the stories about dropping everything to help a traveling rider typically start with a call to their local servicing dealer to confirm whether or not they are a "good customer".

Dealership Network: Thin (see reference for using them or being snubbed in an emergency)

I had an R1150RT, and still own an R75/6. Handling, ergonomics, and wind protection, BMW was hands down better, in my experience. Purchase price is higher, but resale is much higher, so I consider that aspect a wash. Reliablility, service and parts availability, and power, FJR is far ahead. Longer warranty is available for the FJR, and damn near for free. They are not the same bike. The RT was a tourer that handled like a sport bike. The FJR is a sport bike that has storage like a tourer, but not the ergonomics or wind protection. I loved my RT. But too many things broke, and it was a nightmare worrying about getting caught needing a repair or part on the road and finding no BMW dealer anywhere in the area. When I take off on my 2014 FJR, I have not a care in the world. I don't worry about a break down period. On top of that, service is around every corner should I need it, and hell, it's under warranty for another 4 and 1/2 years if something does happen.

I'm actually in the BMW/FJR dilemma right now. As a longtime BMW dude (R75/5, R100GS, (2) R1100S, R1150GS, R1150RT), I'm currently without a bike for the first time since I was 11 years old. I think the new RT is too ugly to own, and I was kind of waiting on the new BMW R1200RS, so I went down to Ft. Collins yesterday to check one out. The bike was lovely and fit me well, but there were four flaws (to me) that I couldn't overlook: 1) with bags and the "Touring Package," it was over $22k otd. 2) It had a 4.8 gal tank (WHY!?). I live in Wyoming and ride in Montana a lot where the big towns followed the railroad, and the range between refuels back in the day was 100 miles, so most of the big towns are 100 miles apart (on the nose). I need a minimum 200+ mile range, and a 4.8 mile tank on a loaded bike in the wind, fighting the altitude, is something that would produce a bit of anxiety for most of my rides. 3) The wind protection/buffeting felt like something that would require numerous windshields and various mods to fix. 4) 125 hp.
So, when I got home, I called the local Yamaha shop where I knew there was a 2014 ES, but it had sold two weeks ago (my mistake). He's going to do some looking and call me today. I had a red RD350 back in 1973, so the red really sings to me. I'd be ok with the new shiny black whatever it's called. So I'll know more later today. Btw, I actually tried to buy an FJR back when I bought my 2004 RT, but FJRs were pretty hard to come by at that time.

Hmmmm, then I must be a pretty dang good customer then! :) ...since I do my own work, and haven't been back to the dealer for anything bike related, I'll keep my status and be happy with it.

Anyone on the fence, forget the 2 bangers. THe smoothness of the 6 will dream you away from everything else period.

K, back to 1200RT yap...

I'm going to disagree with my friend Top_Speed on part of his last post. While I am sure the big inline 6 is everything he says it is I still find the old boxer to be a relevant motor. If I were to be seduced by a BMW I would very likely go with the R1200RT. I like the lighter weight and the "nostalgia" factor of the twin.

Of course I like Harleys too so my opinion may not count for anything anyway.

None of which matters because my '15 ES is one set of tires away from being Just Right.

Well, the dilemma is officially over. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2015 ES from Lyle Krause at Black Hills Powersports in Rapid City, SD. Funny, but I bought my first brand spankin new BMW (R100GS) from Lyle back in 1992 when he owned the only BMW shop in South Dakota, so it's all good. When he sold his shop and retired, he just couldn't stay away from motorcycles, so he sells some bikes and golfs mostly, and he cut the best deal by far. There were a few 2014s in the area, but Kyle smoked them, so I'll be picking up my liquid graphite bombshell on Saturday morning; then, of course, I'll start my break in ride through the lovely Black Hills before heading south to Laramie. Life is good.

If I had test ridden my FJR, I probably wouldn't own it now. The handling felt just plain weird when I first rode it and I wondered if I had made a mistake. When you test ride a bike, it almost always feels wrong because it isn't the one you spent years getting used to.

No, my reading comprehension is pretty good. I think you missed my point.

For me the FJR was The Perfect Bike from the first moment. Not everyone feels that way, I get that.
No you still aren't getting it. I am not talking about only an FJR. YOU might ignore a bike after a test ride you would have liked with a longer exposure. As for your point, if anyone thinks that an FJR handles perfectly must have been riding some pretty weird bikes.

Okay. You are right I don't get it. I thought that if I liked the bike during the first test ride that was a good thing. I thought that if everything felt natural, comfortable, and gave me confidence that was a good thing.

I understand that sometimes bikes are not love at first ride. I can understand that after a bunch of modifications any bike can be fitted more or less to suit the taste of the owner. I get that.

And yes, I have been riding a weird bike. It was a Honda ST1300 and I loved it too. It was also love at first ride.

If you think the FJR is so bad, get rid of it. Get the hell away from it. Sell it to someone who likes it. Then you can stop running it down on the forum dedicated to it.

Well, the dilemma is officially over. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2015 ES from Lyle Krause at Black Hills Powersports in Rapid City, SD. Funny, but I bought my first brand spankin new BMW (R100GS) from Lyle back in 1992 when he owned the only BMW shop in South Dakota, so it's all good. When he sold his shop and retired, he just couldn't stay away from motorcycles, so he sells some bikes and golfs mostly, and he cut the best deal by far. There were a few 2014s in the area, but Kyle smoked them, so I'll be picking up my liquid graphite bombshell on Saturday morning; then, of course, I'll start my break in ride through the lovely Black Hills before heading south to Laramie. Life is good.
Great choice, hope you have many safe and enjoyable rides on your new machine.

I'm going to disagree with my friend Top_Speed on part of his last post. While I am sure the big inline 6 is everything he says it is I still find the old boxer to be a relevant motor. If I were to be seduced by a BMW I would very likely go with the R1200RT. I like the lighter weight and the "nostalgia" factor of the twin.
Of course I like Harleys too so my opinion may not count for anything anyway.

None of which matters because my '15 ES is one set of tires away from being Just Right.
I'm a torque head, what can I say
smile.png
and, I just didn't like the micro vibration of the opposer's, the new water cooled version is better in this area however.

For lightweight fun, I have my F800GT (450lbs).

20140402_183734_zpsf1831b8b.jpg

Latest posts