That one hole on the FJR handlebars...RAM Mount? (About time I discovered this.)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two-Wheeled Tourist

Reaction score
Quick 5-minute farkle on my '07 FJR after playing in the motorcycle store I work at (which is going out of business and liquidating all its in-store stock). I'm probably pretty late to the party on this finding, but I did enjoy doing this writeup and trying out one of my old cameras with it yesterday.

2013-07-31+18.23.47.jpg

Here's the writeup on it on my blog: clicky. This is an independent experiment and I bought the stuff for myself. Anyway, enjoy.
smile.png

Several Motorcycles have that "hole". Its a mirror mount hole, but since the mirrors are on the fairing its not used. The FZ1 has the same thing.

And you can always drill and tap the same spot on the right handlebar and have 2 places to mount things.

Several Motorcycles have that "hole". Its a mirror mount hole, but since the mirrors are on the fairing its not used. The FZ1 has the same thing.
I figured it was a remnant of another use. Funny how easy it is to readapt it. Oh, universal holes.

Cruise control, heat controller and radar detector remote.
pad1.jpg

Img_6318sm-1.jpg
Nice setup. I like the place of that heat controller rather than the lower position on the fairing. I didn't go with the electronic cruise control, the Brakeaway works well for me.

If your bike is old enough (like mine) it has a mirror hole on the right side, but it's left-hand threads, so that RAM ball won't fit.

Anyway, I have a Garmin 2820 on a RAM ball in the hole on the left grip.

The 2003 had a mirror mount hole on both sides.....and you can get an adapter to fit without modifying the threads.

https://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30

And you can always drill and tap the same spot on the right handlebar and have 2 places to mount things.
So that adapter has left hand threads for the 03' hole on the left handlebar?

There was not much information at the link on Larry's site.

I ended up making a 1-off bolt in the machine shop at work back in 02'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Alan, I like your setup. I so wish that I had cruise control!

"My" 2003 FJR had the same thread direction in the left and right hole....they were both right hand threads.

I dug up a couple of pics from my 03....

221731_10150564074410005_965059_n.jpg

231123_10150595900115005_8269830_n.jpg

So that adapter has left hand threads for the 03' hole on the left handlebar?

Quick 5-minute farkle on my '07 FJR after playing in the motorcycle store I work at (which is going out of business and liquidating all its in-store stock). I'm probably pretty late to the party on this finding, but I did enjoy doing this writeup and trying out one of my old cameras with it yesterday.
2013-07-31+18.23.47.jpg

Here's the writeup on it on my blog: clicky. This is an independent experiment and I bought the stuff for myself. Anyway, enjoy.
smile.png

I have a Gen III. Can someone tell me which ram ball fits here? Is it the 3/8", 16 thread pitch, 1" ball? Thanks.

I have a Gen III. Can someone tell me which ram ball fits here? Is it the 3/8", 16 thread pitch, 1" ball? Thanks.
Imperial? I don't believe so. Metric? Yes.

I believe it's 10mm x 1.25 pitch (I didn't have fasteners of this pitch in my bin and had to go to the fastener store....brake calipers coincidentally appear to be the right pitch). I know because I loaned Warchild a RAM mount (not quite the one you have) and needed a fastener to secure it on his '13. We used a 16mm long bolt with a lock washer.

I do think the ball itself is the ubiquitous 1" type.