That rear rack that comes on the FJ - what's it for?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
So is the rack that comes on the back of the FJ just grab handles, just waiting to be removed when you add a top case? Is there anything that can mount to the 'rack' in the back?

Well there's a number of options to choose from. Here a link for just a couple. You can add a backrest with a larger plate to carry thing on as well as a mounting plate for a Givi Topcase. Look in the forum classified section and you can find some other great options. Like the hand made Racks by the forums very own fabricator / painter named Garauld.

Clicky

Clicky Here

Grab handles stay put no matter what you choose.

You can use the search method listed in my sig line below and see all that comes up.

Happy hunting! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there's a number of options to choose from. Here a link for just a couple. You can add a backrest with a larger plate to carry thing on as well as a mounting plate for a Givi Topcase. Look in the forum classified section and you can find some other great options. Like the hand made Racks by the forums very own fabricator / painter named Garauld.

Clicky

Clicky Here

You can use the search method listed in my sig line below and see all that comes up.

Happy hunting! :yahoo:
if you can add a givi plate, why would you remove it to add a givi rack to put a plate on???

Whut? Yew din't git thuh super-secretal handbook wuth them pitchers uh how tuh use et rack? :dntknw:

Tew bad fer yew! :huh:

Ackshully, wunna thuh firss thangs I tooken offen mye FJR en went tew uh Givi rack.

The Givi Topcase needs a mounting plate secured to the bike. Then it has a quick release to pull it off and take it with you when you need to.

Oh and just ignore that Gen1 guy :rolleyes:

if you can add a givi plate, why would you remove it to add a givi rack to put a plate on???
Givi's plate doesn't fit the stock rack, although there are a few 3rd-party plates which adapt the stock rack to Givi boxes. Mainly, the Givi rack is stronger, being steel instead of plastic, reflected in the stated weight limits: Yamaha states 7 pounds for their case on the stock rack, Givi states 13 pounds for their cases with their rack.

As for the grab handles, they are actually part of the rear subframe structure. The rack is actually behind the back of the metal frame, so any weight it carries, whether just something strapped on with bungie cords, or a real top case that's mounted, is carried by the rear bulkhead, and the grab rails are weighted in tension to carry part of that load.

There are any number of owners who've installed specialized cargo arrangements which involved removing the rack and grab rails who can give you scary pictures of the rear bulkhead cracking.

boxonsubframe.jpg

Thanks Wfooshee for an excellent description of the Givi and the extra caution about overloading. Man I'm glad they don't make naked FJR's though. :D

Thanks Wfooshee for an excellent description of the Givi and the extra caution about overloading. Man I'm glad they don't make naked FJR's though. :D
The original rack is eye candy! I use a homemade 1/4" welded plate aluminum rack 12" x 16" and it ain't sexy!

The diagram above doesn't account for rider weight! I've "super loaded" the rear end a few times, and have never seen the front end get squirrelly. The aluminum subframe does have a weight/break limit however. :(

YMMV :D

The Givi Topcase needs a mounting plate secured to the bike. Then it has a quick release to pull it off and take it with you when you need to.

Oh and just ignore that Gen1 guy :rolleyes:
Asides from thet, I don't be usin' noe rack atal upon my FJR no more. Kindy meks it a mute korshen fer me.

Butt...win I did ewes wun, it were a medal thing thing from Givi.

Seriously, the OEM rack is limited because of its dimensions, style and weight limit. It does, however, provide excellent grab rail handles for a pillion.

IMO, the Givi series of top cases are more user friendly than the OEM Yamaha top case.

As will all decisions, YMMV.

Signed:

Member in good standing of the Super-Secret Gen I Society

Seargant-at-Arms for the Super-Secret Gen I gathering in .........

Thanks all, especially Wfooshee. It makes sense to me now.

OK, ordered the givi rack and the V46N case. Thanks guys. I am looking forward to being 'narrower' on weekend rides and to being able to fit my roadcrafter suit in the GIVI.

I realize this is an old thread, but what is a good number for a weight lmit with Garauld's rack? I was thinkin' 50 lbs... :D

I realize this is an old thread, but what is a good number for a weight lmit with Garauld's rack? I was thinkin' 50 lbs... :D
Garaulds rack will take 50 easy. The sub-frame it's mounted to will not. Well, at least not for long.

Can somebody link to the subframe cracking? How does it do that if it can hold a passenger? The flims plastic rack yes, but the subframe?

The cracks develop in the rear bulkhead of the subframe. The vertical bulkead gets torqued by the load of a top case. If the load actually breaks the grab rails, then nothing else is holding the top case except the rear bulkhead of the subframe.

Some threads with pics:

Click 1, Click 2, etc.

Passengers don't hang out there behind the subframe like the top case does.

Look at my pic in post 6. That piece that turns up at the back end is what cracks or breaks.