The 2014 FJR1300 - Woo-hoo!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine has a 2008 BMW R1200RT with electronic suspension. He loves it. I rode it and found it very interesting and very effective. The main benefit for him is that a few button pushes fine tunes the bike for when he has his wife on the back or when he is solo. Neither he nor I can outride the capabilities of that bike or its ESA. I am sure there a folks on this forum that would be held back in some way by the electronic suspension. Since I am not a professional, it enhanced my riding experience. YMMV.

Oh, I have no intention of polluting this excellent thread with BMW, the Beemer is the only electronic suspension system I have any experience riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may have already been explained, but does anyone know exactly how the ES work?. Does it utilize some type of air pump with electric motor to increase air pressure in fork/shock. I guess I'm asking; how complicated is this type system and how potentially problematic could it be if there was a malfunction? I too would like to see Yamaha go to inverted fork arrangement on both models.

Well - this makes me curious, and I look forward to the viewpoints of how the new FJR's ES turns out from owners in the future, but it begs a question for me...

If the Electronic Suspension turns out to not be all that hot from the reviewers, and true performance enthusiasts...... with the non ES suspension bikes being avail, I can easily see that the rear upgrade will be a non issue for those looking for tried and true already avail aftermarket options (Penske, Wilburs, Ohlins et. al.), but what can be done with the inverse forks ?!?!?!?!?

With the regular forks now, the valve adjuster is right at your fingertips on the top of the shocks on the triple tree - what will we be looking at for adjusters for these inverse shock layouts ??!?! Do they make such products for this layout already ?!?!?

Obviously we'll have to see how yamaha designed them first.... but I hope they leave the door open for aftermarket options.....

Thoughts ?

It may have already been explained, but does anyone know exactly how the ES work?. Does it utilize some type of air pump with electric motor to increase air pressure in fork/shock. I guess I'm asking; how complicated is this type system and how potentially problematic could it be if there was a malfunction? I too would like to see Yamaha go to inverted fork arrangement on both models.
I have never heard that air pressure is involved, just small electric motors that compress the shock spring to change preload and other motors in the shocks and forks to change the oil flow in the damping circuits. I would hope that the motors would just stop in some default position if there is a malfunction.

Well - this makes me curious, and I look forward to the viewpoints of how the new FJR's ES turns out from owners in the future, but it begs a question for me...
If the Electronic Suspension turns out to not be all that hot from the reviewers, and true performance enthusiasts...... with the non ES suspension bikes being avail, I can easily see that the rear upgrade will be a non issue for those looking for tried and true already avail aftermarket options (Penske, Wilburs, Ohlins et. al.), but what can be done with the inverse forks ?!?!?!?!?

With the regular forks now, the valve adjuster is right at your fingertips on the top of the shocks on the triple tree - what will we be looking at for adjusters for these inverse shock layouts ??!?! Do they make such products for this layout already ?!?!?
I think Traxxion will have AK-20 kits that will drop in and will be fully adjustable with rebound damping on the cap of one fork and compression damping on the cap of the other fork. The cost will probably be about $1200. I wonder what happens to the various displays if the the ES is disconnected...will you be able to turn off the error message?

Not to be negative before all is known, but that sounds very complicated especially when it's time to change a seal in the forks and the guts have to be removed. Hopefully it will be a great system. Yamaha has a good reputation and ill designed suspension would be a nightmare for owners. Maybe there is some reliability feedback from Europe to provide an answer on this topic.

Yamaha has a ton of experience with USD forks. That's what's on my 06 FZ1 and they are completely adjustable independently, and seem to work just fine for the street. Years have proven them to be very reliable on the street and track. The biggest advantage to having USD forks is the improvement in handling largely due to reduced unsprung fork weight and flex.

The automotive manufacturers have tons and friggin' tons of experience with active suspensions, and yes, they do mostly incorporate very small electric motors to make fine adjustments. MCRIDER007 is spot on with that. Active suspensions take a beating and keep on ticking. No system is ever going to be completely immune to wear, tear, and eventual failure to varying degrees.

I know, in general, the more complex any system becomes, the greater the cost to repair it, but having seen these things work with very few problems on cars for decades now, I personally don't believe there is much reason to be concerned any more about them on the new FJR than any other system on the bike ...given they get regular maintenance, and aren't severely abused.

Shaft bikes can't wheelie anyway, right? LOL!!!

-R

I think Traxxion will have AK-20 kits that will drop in and will be fully adjustable with rebound damping on the cap of one fork and compression damping on the cap of the other fork. The cost will probably be about $1200. I wonder what happens to the various displays if the the ES is disconnected...will you be able to turn off the error message?
I doubt that anyone who has the ES version would be thinking about up-grading their suspension anytime in the near future. Now if you are 250+ pounds-------????
smile.png

I doubt that anyone who has the ES version would be thinking about up-grading their suspension anytime in the near future. Now if you are 250+ pounds-------????
smile.png
Yeah, I completely agree, but there are always the guys that will just have to try to make it even better. It's a pretty heavy bike... at some point you are going to be asking too much of the tires or the road surface. I think I'd let the bike do its thing, if it were mine.

-R

I'll letcha know how shitty (said with sarcasm) the electronic suspension is as soon as it arrives.We just ordered two (yes two) ES models!!!!!!

Wowsers!! Congratulations Iris and Jim!! Going from matching Bass Bote Blue to matching Heart Throb Red in one fell swoop!! Awesome.

I hope that you have as much luck, incredible journeys and all around fun on these two new Roho Feejers as you had on the last ones.

:thumbsup:

I'll letcha know how shitty (said with sarcasm) the electronic suspension is as soon as it arrives.We just ordered two (yes two) ES models!!!!!!
Very cool. I am envious. Did you trade in those blue ones?

Gawd...The bike's not even here yet and we're already bitching?? Jeeze girls. Some people would bitch if you gave them a million dollars.

What kind of outright prices have those looking at buying a '14 seen so far? I have checked with one place (in WI) and was quoted $14.5k for an "A", $15,400 to go with an "ES". (Add tax, registration, doc. fee).

Gawd...The bike's not even here yet and we're already bitching?? Jeeze girls. Some people would bitch if you gave them a million dollars.
I wouldn't bitch if you gave me a million dollars. I'd buy a 2014 FJR ES

Well, as long as you delivered the money directly to me. In exactly the bills I requested. And you couldn't tell anyone about it. It would have to be done on exactly the day I want the money. Otherwise I might bitch.

Of course the ES might be junk. The electronic suspension might not make me as fast as Lorenzo and Rossi. It might not last for 200,000 miles. It might cost twice as much to repair. So, I might have to bitch about that too.

For pricing, your first step needs to be a call to the Gold Standard: D&H Cycle in Culman, AL. You might be able to beat their pricing somewhere else, but it's not likely.

And I bet the ES suspension will be the dog's danglies!. Especially for the majority of folks who don't know how, or don't want to manually adjust a suspension.

I can't wait to try one.

Very Kool!

Congrats Iris and Ed on having identical twins
smile.png

We're all envious and jealous.
Jim. The blue twins, Iris in white on the left, and Jim tipping his white hat on the right. Once again Iris didn't get her WHITE bike but hey, Red ain't too shabby.

_MG_5057a_resize.jpg

Latest posts