The 2014 FJR1300 - Woo-hoo!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there are only three '14 FJRs in the country right now. Two A models, and one ES. I believe all three will be at the AIMExpo in Orlando this weekend. One A model will be used as a demo, and an A and the ES will be on display inside.
I also heard but haven't verified that Yamaha is only bringing in a 'handful' of the ES models. Those dealers that will get one should know they have one coming.
I don't understand why Yamaha would market the ES so much and then bring in only a "handful" unless they are still in development and/or Yamaha does not have that much confidence in the reliability. I have done numerous internet searches looking for an actual review of Europe's AS models and haven't found a thing even though they were supposed to start delivery last April.

I think there are only three '14 FJRs in the country right now. Two A models, and one ES. I believe all three will be at the AIMExpo in Orlando this weekend. One A model will be used as a demo, and an A and the ES will be on display inside.
I also heard but haven't verified that Yamaha is only bringing in a 'handful' of the ES models. Those dealers that will get one should know they have one coming.
I don't understand why Yamaha would market the ES so much and then bring in only a "handful" unless they are still in development and/or Yamaha does not have that much confidence in the reliability. I have done numerous internet searches looking for an actual review of Europe's AS models and haven't found a thing even though they were supposed to start delivery last April.
Post #299 on page 15...

They didn't release them for sale until summer so this was the first review I've seen of Europe's AS.

I have a friend with AS model. He got in in August actually he has approx. 8.000 km on it. It is his 1st FJR and he loves the bike. I played with suspension setting with running engine, but did not have a chance to ride it.

On our last ride I made some pictures:

1m0s.jpg

lpft.jpg

Post #299 on page 15...
They didn't release them for sale until summer so this was the first review I've seen of Europe's AS.
That is NOT a review, its just a general overview of the ES and didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from Yamaha's press releases.....I want to know how well the ES actually works under real world riding conditions, preferably from someone who is not dependent on advertising revenues to pay the bills.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I put my deposit down after the first round of orders the dealer said that he had ordered one for another customer, and one for stock. He was going to order a third for me, but should be ok since he got two on order before. No mention of delivery date though.

I saw the new FJR at the San Mateo show yesterday. The important things are obviously the electronic suspension. The guy from Yamaha said that there have been a bunch of changes in the engine, different cylinder liners, balance shafts and a few other things. The cases on both the left and right are different. He says it has less vibration and more power. The cruise control can now be set at up to 100mph, up from the 80mph last year. The red color is really nice, not a bright red, but lighter than the maroon.

I may be looking at replacing the 2006 soon.

Tom

Just spit balling here - but Yamaha needs to go bigger. The K1600 is not going away and frankly Yamaha could do a better job. I am a looking for a bike that I can take from Dallas Texas, to Bar Harbor Maine, Vancouver BC, Key West Florida and San Diego CA - What I call a Four Corners Motorcycle. The 2013 FJR, as fine as it is - is not the bike - yet. Yamaha is the Toyota of Motorcycles - its time they became the Lexus of Motorcycles.
No offense, but go buy a K1600GT. I don't want the FJR to become like that pig. For me, with a few farkles, it will do a Four Corners ride easy-peasy, and then do it all over again. I don't want it to become a Lexus! But this isn't really a thread to discuss what we want the FJR to be. We have plenty of those around here and each person wants the FJR to be something different. If you don't like the FJR enough as-is, there are BMWs, ST1300s, C-14s, VFRs, Triumph Trophies, and I am sure a plethora of other fine motorcycles out there to choose from.

This thread is about the changes (or lack thereof
smile.png
) to the new 2014 model FJR.

BTW, interesting that you mentioned 'Toyota'. I bet most are not aware that Toyota owns xx% of Yamaha, and Yamaha owns a smaller xx% of Toyota.
Perfection for me would consist of a point more compression,10 degrees more cam timing and 2 mm larger throttle bodies which all together would add another 10 horsepower and since the FJR is the lightest of the ST's it would be da rocket of the bunch. The handle bars could also be raised another 1.5 inches and back a couple which would make it the cat's meow but I would settle for the horsepower but of course I'll have to settle for my black 08 with Staintunes because Yammy isn't doing anything but adding farkles.

The guy from Yamaha said that there have been a bunch of changes in the engine, different cylinder liners, balance shafts and a few other things.
A little bit of smoke there.......... cylinders have always been ceramic coated, and they said they added that in 2013 too, doubt the '14 is different. Admittedly, the industry is using newer ceramic coatings........ don't really matter to us........

Perfection for me would consist of a point more compression,10 degrees more cam timing and 2 mm larger throttle bodies which all together would add another 10 horsepower and since the FJR is the lightest of the ST's it would be da rocket of the bunch. The handle bars could also be raised another 1.5 inches and back a couple which would make it the cat's meow but I would settle for the horsepower but of course I'll have to settle for my black 08 with Staintunes because Yammy isn't doing anything but adding farkles.
Funny, this thread is about the 14 FJR...which SkooterG mentioned in the quote that you quoted...and btw, I'm sure the Yammy designers have eeked out all the HP/torque that they need want on this very affordable motorcycle. And as far as raising and making the handlebars higher and rearward...sure fine for you, but not for me. That's why there is an aftermarket.

I think the GEN 3 was a great design change to a great motorcycle.

There are grumblers and whiners in every crowd.
biggrin.png

I'll add to the whines and grumbles.... I soooo waaannt....ONE....no wait.. TWO!

That way I can compare the 09 to '14 and then be able to have some ponies whenever other people come to visit and we can all take a ride.

Edit:

Oh, yeah, grumbles... I hate it how it just sits there, begging me to ride it all the time. It stares back, making me feel guilty for taking the car, yet again. Another peeve is that it wants me to twist the throttle more, to the detriment of my wallet.

It's never satisfied with the miles I put on it. It never asks for ultra-premium fuel....

I'll add to the whines and grumbles.... I soooo waaannt....ONE....no wait.. TWO!
That way I can compare the 09 to '14 and then be able to have some ponies whenever other people come to visit and we can all take a ride.

Edit:

Oh, yeah, grumbles... I hate it how it just sits there, begging me to ride it all the time. It stares back, making me feel guilty for taking the car, yet again. Another peeve is that it wants me to twist the throttle more, to the detriment of my wallet.

It's never satisfied with the miles I put on it. It never asks for ultra-premium fuel....

I also like the idea of having a spare bike for friends and family to ride. I'm thinking that if I get a new FJR I will likely keep my well used '05 for that purpose.

I also like the idea of having a spare bike for friends and family to ride. I'm thinking that if I get a new FJR I will likely keep my well used '05 for that purpose.
Thanks Greg! I'd love to try out that new '14 of yours!

Just spit balling here - but Yamaha needs to go bigger. The K1600 is not going away and frankly Yamaha could do a better job. I am a looking for a bike that I can take from Dallas Texas, to Bar Harbor Maine, Vancouver BC, Key West Florida and San Diego CA - What I call a Four Corners Motorcycle. The 2013 FJR, as fine as it is - is not the bike - yet. Yamaha is the Toyota of Motorcycles - its time they became the Lexus of Motorcycles.
Naw....bigger means HEAVIER...one of the main reasons I bought the FJR is becasue it's lighter than any major sport/tourer in the game. 600 and some pounds is the heaviest I want in a motorcycle.

The FJR at it's weight is still fun in the twisties, any more weight and that diminishes the heavier the bike.

Thanks Greg! I'd love to try out that new '14 of yours!
You are welcome to visit any time, but I'm thinking that the '05 will be the spare bike available for guests.
tonguesmiley.gif

Besides, I'm waiting for the '15 so I can have a yellow one.
punk.gif

Right now the fiche shows the shock grouped with all the sub components like the remote reservoir, the stepper motor and the motor drive assembly. Later, if just the shock is offered without the other components the price will be less. As it stands, shock = reaction at cost.

Hopefully this shock can be rebuilt. It would be insane of Yamaha to put a $2.3k shock on the bike knowing it will need replacement several times over the life of the motorcycle.

Right now the fiche shows the shock grouped with all the sub components like the remote reservoir, the stepper motor and the motor drive assembly. Later, if just the shock is offered without the other components the price will be less. As it stands, shock = reaction at cost.
Hopefully this shock can be rebuilt. It would be insane of Yamaha to put a $2.3k shock on the bike knowing it will need replacement several times over the life of the motorcycle.
Has that ever stopped a vehicle manufacturer before?? That may end up being the case, but the aftermarket will step in and find a work around...