The 9th State

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the great RR Pants.

The photos and verbiage were fantastic!
smile.png

Mighty fine job, sir! You're right; that 9th state is really important.

Thank you for reading my report, and your usual warm replies.

Twigg - my tank bag is a Cortech Tri-Bag that I purchase "hardly used" from CAJW for what can only be described as "highway robbery". It is enormous and quite versatile. I left the top section at home, opting to bring only the larger lower section with the clear map pocket snapped on top of it. A few observations:

- The magnets are very strong, it's not going anywhere, but the Velcro between the magnetic base and the lower section (whichever one you pick) was a little limiting to me. So I added a couple of Velcro strips there to reinforce the connection between the magnetic base and the lower section.

- With the bag fully loaded, the side pockets do stick out a lot more than my previous bags and at times in the twisties, when I was concentrating on my form, my knees would occasionally touch the bag. That startled me at first, but I got used to expecting it and it went away.

- For my GPS, I use a ram bone with a 3" ram dog bone. With the tank bag loaded, I can still set the GPS in my normal riding position (I'm 6'-0"), but I think I'll pick up a longer RAM dog bone (6"), which will give me better views with this tank bag.

- This thing hold so much stuff, when re-fueling, you cannot simply "slide" the tank bag over. You have to physically remove it from the bike. That is not an issue except one has to be very conscientious about where the bag is placed, and more so, checking for any magnetic metallic shards or grit that the bag picks up during its removal, lest you do not scratch up your tank upon re-installation.

I wondered about it at first, but it holds way too much and is incredible accessible and convenient to get to the stuff I really want to get to on the road (instead of fumbling through the top box or saddle bags). So I will use this on tours, and keep my other smaller tank bag for day trips at home.

Cav47 - SWMBO is also a teacher of 21 years. I wrote my punctuation disclaimer because I knew when she read it, she would not hold back on commentary. Perhaps as a teacher yourself, you understand the unbelievable frustration she is going through now? Quite frankly, her plan was to go 25 years, but as I see it, she may not last 25 more days.

FJR Ready - A fall ride from MA south to Appalachia would be fantastic. You could just chase the color until you run out of it.

Intech/Geezer - my apologies for not introducing myself in MV. Many conversations were ongoing at the same time, and I stuck my (HUGE) nose in whenever I thought it was appropriate. I have to admit, I was impressed with the size of that rally - 80+ bikes is a big gathering. I was also impressed with the length of time many of you have known each other.

R/H - my friend, we had a great ride. I wish I could convince you and your dad to try camping with us. It's a little more work, but very rewarding and by in large, very comfortable with the right gear. For the cost of 2 nights motel, you can have everything. IOW - if you try it one trip, and don't like it, you haven't lost anything money wise. Do please consider it. I'd really enjoy featuring you and your dad on one of these ride reports.

Lagerhead - Really, I don't think you can find a bad road between Nashville and the Parkway (excluding the slab, especially I-24 and I-40 - holy crap is that thing scary). The rural countryside in northeastern Tennessee, southwestern Virgina, northwestern North Carolina, and southeaster Kentucky makes for an amazing and wonderful bike tour. I will be back - regularly.

Niehart - appreciate the explanation re:dried corn. On this trip, we also observed cotton, soybeans, and tobacco - all ready to be harvested. The resources of this country seem endless, although I know that is not really true.

Cheers, my friends.

Intech/Geezer - my apologies for not introducing myself in MV. Many conversations were ongoing at the same time, and I stuck my (HUGE) nose in whenever I thought it was appropriate. I have to admit, I was impressed with the size of that rally - 80+ bikes is a big gathering. I was also impressed with the length of time many of you have known each other.
No apology necessary. If I remember correctly I was inside having my SOLO cup refilled at the bar. Perhaps we'll meet at the next EOM.

Like Greg said, no big deal. It is all these people that keep me coming back! Always enjoy making more acquaintances at the meets. As for appropriate, you must not have met Andy(Bikergeek) There is nothing appropriate about that guy!

Can you guess which one Andy is?

AWESOME, awesome, aWsoMe!

Man, you guys did camping right! Not sure I could of come to point where I would of stacked all that firewood on my Beemer, but you guys sure did it up right! Thanks for adding in all the FP as well!

Yeah, that 'field corn' has to get the moisture out hence the long standing times. 14.5% moisture (or less for burning stoves) is needed to preserve from spoilage. Basically it gets moldy, and a high level of toxins forms if it stays hi-moisture in bins/storage. If you've ever noticed those big Blue air-tight silo's (Harvesters) that some farmers have, well that's for hi-moisture corn with stalk, called corn-ensilage [in-sill-idge]. It basically ferments the corn but keeps it preserved by the acidity levels. Hey, I'm definitely not a farmer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;) .

Anyway I really enjoyed your report! Refreshing reading somebody else's for a change too! ....Great Job, Great Effort u put in as well. :)

It was nice meeting you at EOM 'pants!

Y'all are way to gracious to Pants. I taught him everything he knows. ;)

Btw, we did have a fantastic week of riding, camping and feasting. Almost everything in the RR is true.

O'man.. I am so liking your report... Camping is one of my favorite things to do and the ride was fantastic... you are welcome to post ride reports anytime....

Nice to have met you at the EOM. Thanks for another great ride report. Unfortunately, I probably gained 5 lbs just reading it.