The Great River Road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
I'm riding the GRR and Natchez Trace from Seattle this summer. At my age this could be my last long ride. I would like to get as much out of it as I can, so any help about them and other places along the way worth seeing will be greatly appreciated.

Anyone been to some of the civil war sites? I'm trying to get as much information as I can both from the

web and from forum members will be a great help.

Regards RoadTrip

Tip #1 is to read the excellent Ride Report by hppants titled "Civil Rest". It has some nice pics of some things toward the Southern End of the Natchez Trace.

I have some info on the Natchez Trace in my last Ride Report titled "Just Me and Pop". We took the Natchez Trace all the way from its southern end to its northern end. It is not an exciting road, unless you are willing to break the speed limit on the extreme northern end. It is very beautiful, slow paced and enjoyable with lots of historical pull-offs.

I live within 10 minutes of the River Road on the East Side just outside of Baton Rouge. If there is a way to coordinate our schedules, I might be up for riding a few miles with you. Please feel free to PM me at any time, I can help with things on the extreme southern end of the Big Muddy.

Things that stood out for me on the Natchez Trace:

Burial Site and memorial for Merriwether Lewis:

No Traffic:

The Country Store in Lorman Mississippi, less than 3 miles from The Trace:

The Southern End:

I'm also up for some personal tour guide service if you give me some lead time. I'm wondering how you planned to get to Natchez - where are you planning to jump on the R/R?

Last edited by a moderator:
GRR is an excellent ride. That is the route Spanky and I took from LaCrosse last year heading to EOM. Took it all the way to Memphis and then turned east. We also rode the northern end of the Trace heading to Nashville. Reminded me of the BRP in Southern Virginia.

I had another thought - are you sure you want to do this during the Summer? BELIEVE me when I tell ya that it's friggin hot down here. I know I know - you've probably seen 100 degree temps. Maybe you've even ridden in those temperatures out west. But our 92-94 degrees, with 60% humidity is absolutely brutal. You probably think I'm smoking crack, but honestly, the best time to come down here and ride is ... well, now. It will stay pretty good until early May. Then it will be sauna city.

I'm sure the north end of the GRR is horrible now, but I thought I'd throw that out there.