The Jerkiness of Jerky Motorcyle Throttles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorcycle", even on tight canyon roads with walls on one side and drop-offs on the other side!!!!! LOL

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorcycle", even on tight canyon roads with walls on one side and drop-offs on the other side!!!!! LOL
Brilliant, freaking brilliant . . . you should write lyrics for showtunes . . . very helpful thank you. I see that you don't live in SoCal, so probably never make it to the Rock Store on the Saturday am session . . . you don't have a Gen 2 . . . and you probably don't have the G2 throttle tamer either . . . .

As an aside to the other, "Why don't you just twist it harder?" crowd, probably wasn't mentioned before . . . but, being rear-ended on the freeway several years ago by an under-insured fellow who was texting while driving has left me with a whip-lashed neck which has exacerbated grip strength and neurological tingling more with this FJR throttle than was ever evident on my 86 Konk. If I had only knowd beforehand perhaps I would have opted for another option.

This is where I am, looking for some insights/assistance on the G2 Tamer to offset the heavy spring on the Gen2 throttle . . . if there is nothing helpful to add . . . please shop on . . . .

Gx

if there is nothing helpful to add . . . please shop on . . . .
Brilliant, freaking brilliant . . . you should write lyrics for showtunes . . . very helpful thank you. I see that you don't live in SoCal, so probably never make it to the Rock Store on the Saturday am session . . . you don't have a Gen 2 . . . and you probably don't have the G2 throttle tamer either . . . .
As an aside to the other, "Why don't you just twist it harder?" crowd, probably wasn't mentioned before . . .
[unhelpful]

Nut busting, sarcasm and eye poking is a heck of a way to ask for help.

[/unhelplul] shopping on . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in the Thousand Oaks /Westlake Village area for over 15 years and have ridden all the canyon roads, PCH and many many of the Mtn roads in So. Cal area. Great riding and fun twisties especially with the FJR!

Brilliant, freaking brilliant . . . you should write lyrics for showtunes . . .
For everyone's edification who though this was "out of the blue".

Sounds like someone needs a Snickers bar...and to go for a ride.
rolleyes.gif

Back to the jerkiness of the jerky throttle...It's been covered many times before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one if you decide you can't live without it.

Make me an offer I can't refuse.

...I tried to get LACyclesport to "release" the throttle spring one turn, but they claimed that would be a "violation" against the manufacturer's code or something ....

Gx
Unwind it yourself, it's not hard. Did it on both my Gen 2 bikes, no issues, just a noticeably lighter, therefore more easily controllable, throttle. No inspection by any authority would find it, unless you had one of the very rare bikes that wouldn't close the throttle properly on the remaining spring. Then it is a bit of a bear to wind it up again, but it can and has been done.

...I tried to get LACyclesport to "release" the throttle spring one turn, but they claimed that would be a "violation" against the manufacturer's code or something ....

Gx
Unwind it yourself, it's not hard. Did it on both my Gen 2 bikes, no issues, just a noticeably lighter, therefore more easily controllable, throttle. No inspection by any authority would find it, unless you had one of the very rare bikes that wouldn't close the throttle properly on the remaining spring. Then it is a bit of a bear to wind it up again, but it can and has been done.
@mcatrophy:

Thanks for the post . . . may or may not get there on the DIY . . . that looks like one of those jobs that appears "easy" but just waiting to lull the operator into submission and sping itself apart . . . .

Gx

Gx
@mcatrophy:

Thanks for the post . . . may or may not get there on the DIY . . . that looks like one of those jobs that appears "easy" but just waiting to lull the operator into submission and sping itself apart . . . .

Gx
Couple of links that may help:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/18322-photos-of-how-to-get-under-the-tank/

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/19642-throttle-spring-releaserelief/?do=findComment&comment=241594

I tried to get LACyclesport to "release" the throttle spring one turn, but they claimed that would be a "violation" against the manufacturer's code or something ....

Gx
@mcatrophy:

Gx
Couple of links that may help:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/18322-photos-of-how-to-get-under-the-tank/

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/19642-throttle-spring-releaserelief/?do=findComment&comment=241594
@mcatrophy:

Thanks for the links . . . took a fast look through both of them . . . looks like something to do with regular maintenance cycles . . . .

Gx

"T" Mode on the Gen III, soft and smooth.

Dan
 + 1 on that Dan. My 06, I had to do the throttle tube replacement and do the single turn release on the throttle spring. The 15 using the touring mode for cruising around is very smooth and nice for two up.

Ed

Yeah.  My '09 CA bike was nearly unrideable until I listened to BanjoBoy and got me a PCFC smugmuggled into the state and installed . . . .  Thread is still "relevant" to Gen2 bikes, but might be that the really herky-jerky effects that happen on bikes like mine is due to CARB regs on the mapping.  Still trying to "bond" with the "new" bike . . . .