thermostat replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorcop2396

Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the thermostat n my 06' where is the thing and is there anything I need to know before I jump into the deep end?

Thanks for your replies

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to help by listing clear, concise steps.

1. Remove plastic to gain clear access to thermostat.

MassDamage.jpg

2. Remove bolts and clean up gasket.

3. Re-install.

There! My work is done.. Next question?

Good luck - once you get to it, it will be easy.

dcarver, also looks like a good opportunity to disable the windshield auto-retract while you are at it. :rolleyes:

Your thermostat is circled in red:

MassDamage.jpg

Using a pic of an '07, which is the same mechanically, your goal is to make the change by removing the black panel in the small blue circle:

100_0395-1.jpg

You may also have to remove the side panel in the large blue circle. IIRC the plastic rivets in this area push in the middle and then pull out.

You REALLY want to get the thermostat out by just removing these two pieces of plastic, the rest of the plastic around the thermostat is connected to the front cowling. You could remove some screws to loosen that plastic up, but removing it would be a major pain for a thermostat change.

Ignore the red circles in the last pic, that was for a previous smartass reply, trying to set my karma back to zero!

Last edited by a moderator:
also, reassembly can be sped up with duct tape and fast weld. I'd include a pic of my scoot but, it's not friday yet.

Looking at the pics of carvers bike I'd say it gets a bit frustrating doing this job so, hide the hammers.

Gezz carver ya gotta learn to control your temper ;)

Just curious why the stat replacement?

:jester: