This Freakin' bike....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never speed driving any of my other vehicles. With "this freakin bike" that is almost impossible. Effortless. Fun. My biggest issue with it is figuring out a name for it as my wife insists.........

Mine is a Gen 1 and it is a blast! I have put 14000 miles on her this since I picked her up the end of Feb. I love the sound of the jet engine winding up and feeling the wind rush by. Yesterday I finally went WOT at 15mph and it pulled the front wheel up off the pavement.

I ride with some people in a meet up group on weekends. One guy has a 1800cc Honda cruiser who kept eyeing my bike. At the end of the day he asked me to run against him so I said why not. I let him take off and get 30 feet in front before I took off. Caught up in 2 seconds, backed off and ran beside him, then looked at him and waved bye bye and all he saw was tail lights. Two weeks later he is bitching that there is no way my bike should beat him 0-50 because he has more low end torque......

When I am feeling bad about my wife leaving me I can get on Rachel and those feeling fade as I hit 3 gear, lol.
And Rachel will never fail to roll over when ya need it most.....

The thing I really hate...the "Max speed" on my GPS. Have to clear that one before getting home to the wife.
Meh, just take it on a plane with you one trip and leave it on, you'll get a Max Speed of 500+ then never clear and she'll never know
no.gif

IMG00210_zpsaphjjvwx.jpg

...is going to get me thrown in jail!!!! On my commute home I look down and I'm doing 90 on the 4 lane divided road. It's just too damn easy and fun. Want to go 45? Just twist your wrist. Need to pass this slowpoke? Just twist it a little further. Want to go 90? Just twist it a little more. I swear, I'm not a Squid, but man this thing puts a great big smile on my face. I have never ridden anything like this bike before. I come from smaller bikes; a CB360, RD 250 and 400, CM400T, Shadow 600 and the latest was a Vstar 650. Of course none of them had anywhere near this kind of power.Another thing...a couple of weekends ago I decided to go for a ride and do a little "leaf-peeping" here in the Colorado mountains. I grab a few things, throw them in the bags and off I went. I rode for a few hours, grabbed a motel for the night and then back on the road the next morning. Five hundred miles later and I was home by 5:00 pm. I just love it. I would never even think of doing something like that on most of my other bikes. My past bikes, were either all too unreliable or too uncomfortable to even think about doing something like that on a moments notice. Yea, I did do a cross-coutry on the Shadow, but that was after weeks of planning. And it certainly wasn't what I'd call a comfortable trip.

While at the motel that weekend, I was standing outside having a smoke and just looking over the FJR. To say it is technologically superior to anything else I've ridden is a huge understatement. And mine is just a 2008. Not even a Gen III. I think back and compare this machine to the old CB360 and it just amazes me that I can own something like this. What I have sitting in my garage is so far beyond what was on the tracks in those days, it's just incredible!

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. This bike just makes me grin like an idiot almost every time I ride it. (The other times, it just scares the sh*t out of me, lol)

Burns1
That feeling doesn't go away!

I've been riding FJRs for 12 years.

It's 3:00 am and I just woke up remembering today's ride on one of my favorite roads that is freshly paved.And now I'm laying here unable to get to sleep with one thought on my mind...when the hell is that sun going to come up so I can get back on that bike.

The thing I really hate...the "Max speed" on my GPS. Have to clear that one before getting home to the wife.
I let my youngest son use my poor 4 banger Subaru Outback a few years ago (when there was still snow in Cali) and he didn't realize there was such a function on the GPS that was in there. I had to yank his chain a little when I saw a 100+ max speed on the readout!! A little pissed he'd treat my ride like that, but please that the vehicle would actually go that fast :)