Throttle spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bustanut joker

Reaction score
Ok, I've read it here before but I can't seem to find where, so.. What spring are we talking about removing/clipping to lighten the return of the throttle. :unsure: Any picces?

Yeah I know I'm prolly going to be called a dumb ass :dribble: fer this un, so, somebody do it quick so I feel like I belong again.

:jester:

Search as I might, I can't find the pics in any of my archives. It is a simple procedure, however. There are 3 return springs on the TB's, a center, left, and right, all clustered near each other at the throttle cables. Simply unhook the center one, and let it unwind, relieving the tension. The other two will provide plenty of return tension, and as a back-up, the bike uses a push-pull cable. Ahh, I found it-arrow points to the one to disconnect. You can also see one of the side springs.
spring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that sounds easy enough. I thought that was probably the procedure but I didn't want to try it w/out asking, kinda tight and hard to rewind a spring down there. thanks, fng.. like the moniker :D

:jester:

Gotta admit I just found the right spring the other night. I've looked for it on numerous occasions, but only noticed the right side return and couldn't find where to unhook it. Then the other night I saw the "other" 2 deals moving and found the right one! Just pushed it off of the tab, it unwound one turn and hooked itself back to the tab. Does make a big difference.

I removed two of the springs on my '04. Still has a good return. And my wrist likes it better. Completely removed the springs, not just released. Didn't start out to do that, but I was afraid they would bind.

Some owners are releasing the springs, but keeping them zipped or wire tied at the end so that they can re-connect them. I've been riding over two years sans springs and can't see any reason to do that. YMMV. ;)

After reading this post, I took a close look at mine this weekend. I didn't remove or let mine completely unwind... instead, I had a happy accident. I was looking at it and thought I might be able to pull it off the throttle and hook it to a tang sticking out just to "get a feel for it". However the spring slipped and went past the throttle lip where it is supposed to hook, did a complete revolution (unwinding) and then re-seated itself where it started... only with one less winding in it. (I didn't know this until later) I chickened out and decided to leave it alone... :huh: put everything back together and just about bucked myself off the first time I took it for a ride before I realized the throttle wasn't as hard to pull. :bigeyes: That is when I realized what had happened. It's the only explanation I could come up with. :dribble:

Oh, by the way, I LOVE the lighter throttle! :D

I unhooked the center return spring on my '06 today. It's a bugger to get at, :huh: very little room. Every time I pushed the spring off the tap and let go, it snapped right back to where it was before. :angry: I finally succeeded.

They must have made the spring somewhat idiot proof. Just unhook and let it unwind and recatch itself. I haven't felt the need to loosen up the throttle....feels fine to me...but, then again, I am a strapping young lad at the green age of 34. B)

Thanks for the picture, FNG. It motivated me to locate the area and, using long needle-nose pliers, I was able to "remove" one turn of preload. Actually, I think I removed all of the preload, as it appears that the middle spring doesn't engage until several degrees after the throttle is opened. Whatever. Not only is the throttle tension much lighter, it's also easier to crack the the throttle open from off-throttle position -- much smoother transitions getting back on the gas.

I wonder if disconnecting this spring messes up your throttle body sync or makes the throttle plate angle change a bit.

Yeah, no kiddin about the throttle lock. I was having to constantly tighten it until I loosened the center spring once. So far I like the difference.

GP

Okay, I don't want to sound like a dumb-ass, but I have no choice. After looking under my tank the other day on my '06, I see a big heat shield looking thing. Are ya'll having to lift up one side of that to get to the throttle springs? As I stated in my other post, I'm wanting to be careful here. I appreciate the help.

Okay, I don't want to sound like a dumb-ass, but I have no choice. After looking under my tank the other day on my '06, I see a big heat shield looking thing. Are ya'll having to lift up one side of that to get to the throttle springs? As I stated in my other post, I'm wanting to be careful here. I appreciate the help.
I followed someones suggestion to remove the t-bar under the tank and carefully pull the wires thru so you can get the jiffy pop off. Don't bend it ... it's kinda flimsy. Then you can see the springs they are talking about. A long bladed screwdrive will slide right down there.

:yahoo:

Search as I might, I can't find the pics in any of my archives. It is a simple procedure, however. There are 3 return springs on the TB's, a center, left, and right, all clustered near each other at the throttle cables. Simply unhook the center one, and let it unwind, relieving the tension. The other two will provide plenty of return tension, and as a back-up, the bike uses a push-pull cable. Ahh, I found it-arrow points to the one to disconnect. You can also see one of the side springs.
spring.jpg
I have an 06 that I have been riding for about three weeks and the throttle spring was so tight that the throttle would slip closed in my hand if I started to relax my grip even a little bit. I followed your directions and the photo is perfect - I grabed the end of the spring with a spring hook and let it go, it unwound one revolution and caught on the tab it was originally caught on - Sweet. :yahoo: Thank You Thank You Thank You !!! The throttle is the way it should be. If you are reading this and thinking about doing this I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. I think when the throttle bodies are put together they ( Yamaha ) is putting one turn to many on the center spring when it is installed.

:yahoo:
spring.jpg
I have an 06 that I have been riding for about three weeks and the throttle spring was so tight that the throttle would slip closed in my hand if I started to relax my grip even a little bit. I followed your directions and the photo is perfect - I grabed the end of the spring with a spring hook and let it go, it unwound one revolution and caught on the tab it was originally caught on - Sweet. :yahoo: Thank You Thank You Thank You !!! The throttle is the way it should be. If you are reading this and thinking about doing this I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. I think when the throttle bodies are put together they ( Yamaha ) is putting one turn to many on the center spring when it is installed.
How did you get to the spring? Did you pull the heat shield off? If so, did you have to disconned the wires and fuel line? I have look under there, and it appears that is what has to be done.

Thanks for any advice.

How did you get to the spring? Did you pull the heat shield off? If so, did you have to disconned the wires and fuel line? I have look under there, and it appears that is what has to be done.

Thanks for any advice.

I completely removed the gas tank. unpluged both harnesses ( One green plug and one white - White goes in the middle of the tank but the wire lenghts leave no dought which one goes where ) and removed the fuel line. The fuel line has a plastic snap clip that pops off and then you squeeze the two grey colored tabs and pull - it pops right off and there is almost no fuel spilled, If I was smart I would have left the tank empty but like an idiot I filled it up right before I did this. Then slide the heat shield to the rear of the bike - it fits tight but it will move and right under that is the throttle body assy ( photo posted above ). A spring hook tool works great to pop the end of the spring off the tab. I just got back from a short ride - its only 58 degrees here in Minneapolis but I love it, its much easier to shift smooth and crusing is more relaxed.

Latest posts