Throttlemeister guys - heavy or not?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russperry

Reaction score
After some weeks of trying to research the various cruise control/throttle lock options I've decided to go for the Throttlemeister approach. So now the question is - go for heavy option or stay with the standard? Is heavier always better in terms of vibrations or is there a different optimum weight depending on each motorcycle, what accessories might be bar-mounted, etc.....?

Basically I would assume that heavier would dampen more of the vibrations but not sure if that is true. Has anyone tried both options and able to directly compare?

thanks

I got the Heavy and I highly recommend watching the classified section. I paid $50 and like it a lot. Haven't tried anything else.

I question how much of improvement the 2oz will make if you think the bars are too buzzy. I do not.

I have standard with no complaints. +1 on picking up either version if you find a good price!

Last edited by a moderator:
The heavy ones came with the bike, and I like them. I don't know that I'd pay full-freight. To me the throttlemeister is harder to use than flipping a lever to lock the throttle. YMMV, but all a throttle lock does is overcome the return spring on the throttle and provides some relief, or a chance to use your right hand for something. You will like having it, but its not the most thrilling farkle.

I picked up an Audiovox cruise control a little while back and no longer need my heavy Throttlemeisters. $50 and they are yours. !! ( SOLD) !!

The heavy ones came with the bike, and I like them. I don't know that I'd pay full-freight. To me the throttlemeister is harder to use than flipping a lever to lock the throttle. YMMV, but all a throttle lock does is overcome the return spring on the throttle and provides some relief, or a chance to use your right hand for something. You will like having it, but its not the most thrilling farkle.
^^this...IMO

I bought a Madco here on the Classifieds recently. EPIC piece of equipment! WAAYY better than the twistlock crap, IMO.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=9691&hl=madco

I have the standard size. I agree with Scotty, I don't think 2 oz will make much difference and the heavy are quite a bit longer. I think the standard looks better on the bike.

Like Tom said, they aren't the easiest to use. I've had them for two seasons and they are still awkward to use. I will say that they are very well made and they do the job intended.

039.jpg

040.jpg

I'm very satisfied with my standard throttlemeister. Had a sizing issue but the company worked with me to ensure I had successs getting it right. A bit akward I suppose, but I only use it for cruising the highways and it works perfectly for me. Sure is nice to rest the right arm and hand. Also in an emergency its very easy to override.

Bill

Another bar-end product is from Manic Salamander: manicsalamander.com The website has some interesting information on how bar-end weights work, or not, plus extensive fitment info. I've got a very nice looking set of weights (not their throttle lock) on my '08 and the quality if firstrate.

pete

After some weeks of trying to research the various cruise control/throttle lock options I've decided to go for the Throttlemeister approach. So now the question is - go for heavy option or stay with the standard? Is heavier always better in terms of vibrations or is there a different optimum weight depending on each motorcycle, what accessories might be bar-mounted, etc.....?

Basically I would assume that heavier would dampen more of the vibrations but not sure if that is true. Has anyone tried both options and able to directly compare?

thanks
The heavier the weight the lower the engine speed your bars will vibrate at. Its a trial and error process as each bike seem to be a bit different. Bottom line is do the the bars vibrate at a speed you spend a lot of the time at? If so then heavier or lighter bar end wights will benefit you.

I'd like to see a video of how to use the throttlemeister. Anyone know of one that shows how to engage it while riding? The ones I found on youtube don't show it very well. I can picture it, but a video would sure be nice.

I'd like to see a video of how to use the throttlemeister. Anyone know of one that shows how to engage it while riding? The ones I found on youtube don't show it very well. I can picture it, but a video would sure be nice.
I hope you are kidding. Clutch and just turn the darned thing.

I have standard black milled. They look good and work as well as these things do.

I have standard black milled. They look good and work as well as these things do.
You might consider the Kenko throttle lock. It has a raised curled bevel that is easier to manipulate than the Throtlemeister. Just as expensive but IMHO better.

Get up to speed, hold the throttle with thumb and forefinger and use the ring and little fingers to roll the bar end counterclockwise (towards you) to engage - do minor adjustments to maintain desired speed - remember that this is not a cruise control but a throttle lock - roll the bar end clockwise to disengage and release the friction lock - or just roll off the throttle - or do them at the same time - nuttin' to it!

No, I'm not kidding. It's a pretty simple concept. But a video showing technique would be cool. The video I seen with two handed engagement looked like the throttlemeister rotated 180 degrees. Geez, that seems like alot of rotation while still holding the throttle at a constant speed.

And I don't get why some of the finishes are so smooth. Isn't that hard to grip when you try to engage it? I would think the one with machined slots and rough texture would be the easiest to engage.

I keep the throttlemeister just-off the lock position. It only needs to turn less than 45 degrees to go from off to full lock. It can also be tightened just enough to relieve the spring pressure, but not lock the throttle, and that works to relieve wrist strain where you don't want to lock up the throttle or release the bars. The advantage of the TM over most throttle locks is that it is not just an on/off device, it can be used to set throttle return resistance, in addition to its use as a lock.