Throttlemeister needs help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Bones

Reaction score
I searched the board but couldn't find the right post already so at the risk of getting flamed, here goes!

Ok so I installed a throttlemeister but am having problems with the tension. The instructions says the throttle lock should engage by rotating the lock. I can't get the tension correct. The lock is either tight pinching and holding the throttle at my desired speed and I must physically turn the throttle back to closed where it then sticks, or the lock gently touches the throttle but not enough to hold the throttle. The end weight lock doesn't "engage" by rotating, in fact there is no "engagement" at all. It is either always on or always off due to tension.

As much as I read the instructions about taking the time to adjust and 1/16 inch distance, it seems to be all lock or none at all for me.

I have the heavy bar ends with the insert FYI

google is your friend; the forum search feature not so much

?????? site:fjrforum.com

so google search "throttlemeister adjustment site:fjrforum.com"

or just "throttlemeister site:fjrforum.com"

hope this helps

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

To adjust I usually crank the TM to its full lock position and tighten/loosen the screw at the end with an allen key for the desired tension YMMV

Dr. bones,

As I found out myself the installation of the throttlemeister is very finicky. I must have adjusted that screw over a dozen times before I got it right. Be mindful that as you are tightening the allen screw that the mechanism tends to go in (closer) a little bit. Keep at it and you'll find the right setting - once you do make sure you use loctite!

To adjust I usually crank the TM to its full lock position and tighten/loosen the screw at the end with an allen key for the desired tension YMMV

So are you saying that on the highway you have a allen wrench and are tightening while driving, then untightening when into city traffic? Is that safe? I thought the throttlemeister was supposed to screw itself tighter as you rotate the bar weight, thereby engaging the friction. Then rotate opposite to disengage.

Thanks to all, keep the advice coming!

Mike in Nawlins - I love your posts, have been reading up on your adventures, keep at it!

I spent a good hour trying to get the tension correct. You have to pick a position either locked or open while adjusting that works and then hold the unit while tightening the allen bolt (with loctite). The unit will tend to either open or close while you're tightening the bolt if you don't hold it and then your adjustments are all out the door. Easier to show then write about...sorry.

That said, I evidently didn't use enough of the supplied locktite b/c about a week after adjusting the unit it started to spin past full tight this morning on the ride into work. Will have to start over again this evening but I'm hopeful.

The other issue with the factory heated grips in cutting down the friction sleeve. What a pain...but again I'm hopeful that after this evening's adjustments I'll be happy.

I've been back and forth with my throttlemeister. I didn't really get it right until I understood how it works. Take your unit off and hold the inner sleeve while you rotate the outer piece. You'll see how turning counterclockwise pushes that inner sleeve out, to where it can press on the throttle sleeve.

With the inner sleeve fully retracted, screw the allen screw all the way down tight. Now, when you rotate the outer piece, it will push in to engage your throttle sleeve.

After I put on V-strom handguards, my throttlemesiter no longer would reach, so I had to get a nylon spacer from the hardware store and relieve one side of the hole to make it fit agains the throttle sleeve properly. Now it works fine.

From your description of your problem, it could be that the throttlemeister is too close to the throttle sleeve. Maybe you need to put a spacer in there to hold it back a bit. Or maybe there's some fudging space to push the throttle assembly farther onto the handlebar.

Don't waste your locktite until you've got it all working right, because you'll be taking it apart and reassembling a few times before you get it right. Be sure to locktite it at the end, though.

It's worth the effort. Throttlemeister makes long rides much easier.

ok, I had the shop look at it when I had a new tire put on. Who knew the left and right sides were different? duh! That's why it wouldn't engage, 'cause they were backwards installed by ME!

Works now, thanks for all your support!

ok, I had the shop look at it when I had a new tire put on. Who knew the left and right sides were different? duh! That's why it wouldn't engage, 'cause they were backwards installed by ME!
Works now, thanks for all your support!
OH MY GAWD!!!

If only you'd waited 'til Friday to post this.

I'm cleaning up spewed Dos Equis after reading this. What a waste. :p