Time for a new GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
The old Garmin is out of date and due to be replaced. Just wondered what everyone is using these days, also mounting so you can actually see the darn thing in daylight. Appreciate any and all replies in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... I"m still using the "old Garmin" ;)

But just put a new battery in it, and it's still doing fine. Wasn't that much money and easy to do, although Garmin never designed them to be replaceable.

Mounting was easy using the triple tree stem nut (after market one, already drilled) and a ram ball mount. Then of course get the correct Ram Ball "Cradle" for your GPS.

If you don't already know, Ram Ball stuff is much less expensive then I first thought it would be, and there's so much of it, it's actually a bit daunting to get a handle

on all the options one has.

Unfortunately, Garmin has chosen not to use sunlight readable displays on the Zumo series ans washout is a common complaint. The Zumo 220 and 350 are for many a serious disappointment.

Mounting to the ride is not complex - you can get a pre-drilled triple-T mount from MCL (Motorcycle Larry) for about $20 and Ram-Mount will sell you everything else you need/want - and they have a great wizard to walk you though the bits and pieces you may need - or, there are a number of posts on the board with links and specific part numbers if you care to search.

Been using the Zumo 660 for 3 years and have been reasonably happy with it. Had a couple of screwy updates but now all works fine for me.

Others may disagree but that's for another day.

Dave

Bramfrank, puzzled by your comments about Zumo not being readable in bright sun. I've never had a problem with my 660 except for adjusting it so the sun doesn't reflect into my eyes. I use a ram ball mount threaded directly into the existing hole in the left handlebar and a shorty ram connector thingy.

But just put a new battery in it, and it's still doing fine. Wasn't that much money and easy to do, although Garmin never designed them to be replaceable.

Mounting was easy using the triple tree stem nut (after market one, already drilled) and a ram ball mount. Then of course get the correct Ram Ball "Cradle" for your GPS.

If you don't already know, Ram Ball stuff is much less expensive then I first thought it would be, and there's so much of it, it's actually a bit daunting to get a handle

Which Garmin and which battery? I think I'm having issues with the internal batt in my Zumo550 and was wondering if anybody on this forum had replaced one.

Check out the Garmin Montana. It's got a noticeably brighter screen, and very customizable. If you don't need XM radio or weather or an MP3 player, but just a good GPS, its a winner. Easy to customize too. This is the favorite of the ADVider crowd.

Here are some links to get you started:

The place to start to learn what the Montana can do.

The massive 373 page and growing Montana threadon ADVRider.com

Which Garmin and which battery? I think I'm having issues with the internal batt in my Zumo550 and was wondering if anybody on this forum had replaced one.
First, run the battery dead then recharge overnight (several hours). Then removing the battery, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser on both battery and GPS, spray a contact cleaner with lube, wipe off the excess with a lint free cloth, reassemble. You could slightly pry the GPS contacts for a little more pressure, but be careful. Next, you want to do a master reset (you will lose user data, i.e., trip logs and settings).

You could have a problem with your cradle being intermittently powering the GPS, so with the contact cleaner with lube, generously coat the pins on the cradle and work the pins up and down several times with a popsicle stick to work the lube in. Then, pencil eraser on the bottom contacts of the GPS and spray a little lube on there too. Do this a couple of times a year.

My battery is from 2007.... bought a spare for just-in-case a year ago when I was having problems (cradle).... haven't needed it yet.

I think my Zumo 550 was from 2006, so in 6 years I've replaced the screen digitizer twice and the battery once. Now that's 25k+ miles a year of riding over the last 3 years, so it gets used a lot. All those parts plug n play and no rocket science training needed. Even a patriot can do it.

Mine is just a simple Nuvi. This is the little kit from Amazon I used:

Nuvi Battery

It's a 1250 Mah, and the oem is only 500. It was very easy to replace and it's now doing great. Searching Google one should find a kit for their individual Nuvi Models. I'm kind of a cheap skate but consider a GPS essential for traveling, more than anything would be 'nearest gas' (especially on a bike), and nearest lodging is big too.

Just carry a plastic baggie in case of rain... works for me.

Check out the Garmin Montana. It's got a noticeably brighter screen, and very customizable. If you don't need XM radio or weather or an MP3 player, but just a good GPS, its a winner. Easy to customize too. This is the favorite of the ADVider crowd.
I'll add another vote for the Garmin Montana. I bought one a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it so far. It replaced a Garmin Quest 2 that I've been using since 2006. The flip-up antenna connection on the Quest had worn out, so the unit was having a tough time receiving the GPS signals. When it did receive the signals, the processor was so old and slow that it just couldn't keep up anymore. The screen refresh rate was incredibly slow. Once I programmed a route on the Quest (very easy to do, btw), it would take several minutes to calculate a solution. It was time for a new GPS.

I don't like the Garmin 550/660/665 series. They are way more GPS than I need. I don't need XM radio, weather, bluetooth, or an MP3 player. I just want it to be able to navigate. Plus, I have 2 buddies that have had the 550 and 665. From my limited experience with them, they suck. They've been very unreliable, needing multiple replacements from Garmin. The screens aren't that great in bright sunlight. I rarely use MapSource/BaseCamp to program routes...while out on a ride, I always program routes on the GPS itself. On the 550/665, programming the route is a real pain in the arse. Clunky user interface, way too many steps required to add waypoints for a route. The responsiveness of the touchscreens just blows...very difficult to scroll around the screen. Maybe they both have bad digitizers? Also, they have extremely limited battery life. I swap my GPS between three bikes, and I really don't want the hassle of hard-wiring GPS power on all three machines (I'll admit that I'm really lazy). I need long battery life.

All of those factors turned my attention to the Montana. I read the huge thread on ADVrider and placed an order for one. I got the base unit, the 600. The 650 comes with a 5MP camera, which I have no use for. It only comes loaded with a basemap, so I also ordered City Navigator North America mapset. Not a dealbreaker for me. The thing is huge compared to my old Quest. Huge screen compared to the Quest as well. It seems to be very rugged. The unit can be mounted with the screen in portrait or landscape mode. I thought I'd prefer portrait mode, but I actually keep it in landscape mode all the time. The screen is quite bright, very easy to see in bright sunlight. In dimmer lighting conditions, the backlight makes the screen easily readable. I keep the backlighting as dim as possible (or off) to conserve battery power, however. Battery power is another neat feature of the Montana. When you open the battery hatch, you can see 2 power options. It comes with a rechargable lithium-ion battery pack, which should be good for up to 16 hours. If you run that battery dead for some reason and can't recharge it, you remove it and put 3 AA batteries in the same compartment. The AAs should last up to 22 hours. Last week I rode from Palm Springs to Durango CO, 687 miles in about 11 hours...the li-ion battery was down to 30% when I rolled into Durango. Nice. I don't have to hard-wire anything. Did I mention that I was lazy?

The Montana is also really easy to use. The touch-screen is very responsive...works great for scrolling around the map with gloves on. Programming a route on the unit is SO EASY. Way easier than the 550/665. Plus, as Hudson mentioned, the screens are very easily customized. The icons can be moved around wherever you want them. The commonly used ones I moved right to the top. The never-used icons (geocaching, hunt & fish, area calculation, etc) were moved way to the bottom pages. Very cool. I never thought I'd say that about a Garmin GPS.

Here's a page with some useful info: Garmin Montana Wiki

It's a neat GPS. I only have about 4000 miles with it, but so far I really like it. Sorry for the long-winded post!

I'm pretty sure I'm done with standalone GPS units. I bought a new one a couple of years ago with LMT - sounds great right? Unfortunately it died a few months ago (will not acquire satellites) so the "lifetime" part of LMT was true, just not my lifetime but the short lifetime of a crappy unit.

I'm going to stick with the iPhone version I'm using now (Navigon (now a Garmin company) in a watertight Lifeproof case) so I get phone, music and navigation in a single package.

The old Garmin is out of date and due to be replaced. Just wondered what everyone is using these days, also mounting so you can actually see the darn thing in daylight. Appreciate any and all replies in advance.
What is your "old Garmin?"

I've had my Zumo 550 for ... uh ... something like 4 - 4 1/2 years now. All in all it's been decent - it's gotten me lost in 41 states and 2 Canadian provinces. Here lately, it's been acting wacko - kind of like a bat-shit-crazy woman, only different. I'm gonna replace the screen this winter - hopefully it's just got some crud in the cracks, if you know what I mean. Otherwise I man have to pony up and get a new GPS which I'd rather not do if I don't have to.

Oh - and rayzerman has a nifty little sun shade thing for his 550 that's mounted on his dash shelf. Could something like that be of benefit for you?

Anyone know why Tom Tom decided not to bring their updated Rider to the US? I've got the older version and it's still working--the thing is built like a brick, but I'd like to upgrade someday. Here's the one you can get across the pond:

Series-Motorbike-RIDER.png

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/customised-navigation/motorbike-rider-series/index.jsp

That Garmin Montana looks like maybe a nice option...

My two cents worth.

Despite negative feedback from the forum, I bought a Zumo 220 at the beginning of the year with a 'lifetime map upgrade' option (not sure if it refers to my lifetime or the unit's :) ?)

Through downpours and blazing sun the unit has worked faultlessly. Bluetooth communication, via a Sena SMH5, is excellent. I didn't think I'd like the voice yapping inside my helmet, but the 'voice in my head' has saved several missed turns. I have the included holder/charger mounted on a RAM ball attached to my brake lever clamp.

zumo.jpg

Al.

My two cents worth.

Despite negative feedback from the forum, I bought a Zumo 220 at the beginning of the year with a 'lifetime map upgrade' option (not sure if it refers to my lifetime or the unit's :) ?)

Through downpours and blazing sun the unit has worked faultlessly. Bluetooth communication, via a Sena SMH5, is excellent. I didn't think I'd like the voice yapping inside my helmet, but the 'voice in my head' has saved several missed turns. I have the included holder/charger mounted on a RAM ball attached to my brake lever clamp.

zumo.jpg

Al.
The Life Time Maps is always for the life time of the unit. Garmin should make that obvious imho, think it is if you buy it additionally, but if it comes with a new unit they may not spell it out that well.

A previous poster was knocking the NUVIs as unreliable etc. Not the case with mine. Have had the 760 (think it is) for about 4 years, still going strong. A new battery installed recently but nothing else needed.

Other reasons I decided to not buy a new one: My old Nuvi has bluetooth, FM Radio Broadcast ability, and MP3 player, along with audio out jack. Many of the new ones don't have these features, or at least not until you get into the very high priced ones.

Well, I;m running with a Garmin 1490LMT, got that as a refurb from Fry's for $100, am very happy with it, only down point, the free traffic advisory function, runs through a super bulky cable, which doesn't fit in the AUX Box on the LHS Fairing.....

I'm running it center (see the pic) on a MCL raiser plate and a RAM mount installed, I've got a anti glare frame for cheap and have had no problems running in da sun light at all. I don't like the LHS or RHS position, as I would have to look away. Center disables that for me.

8090620062_98d7001085.jpg

Here are some links to get you started:

The place to start to learn what the Montana can do.

The massive 373 page and growing Montana threadon ADVRider.com
I've had a Montana since Spring on the Super Tenere and hate the thing almost as much as using my Gummint issued Blackberry.

The Montana's upside has been that screen size and legibility are fantastic. The waterproofing is good.

BUT

I've suffered through the dreaded white screen of death, the loose battery is now fixed with a foamie earplug, and the current replacement unit is one is about to go back, because the screen becomes unresponsive when warmer than about 75-80f. Better not stop for gas if it is running on switched power from the bike, because when the screen is unresponsive, it powers back up on the home screen of icons that you can't make work.

Even when working correctly, the zoom in/out icons are too small for my gloved finger, so that about half the time when trying to zoom, I'll place a location marker pin. Then you need to escape out and re-zoom from scratch. It gets so frustrating that I hate to touch the thing.

And if Garmin is THE big company in GPS navigation, how can they not have learned from Google Maps, Bing, or any other map outfit about human interface in their software?

And I've got the Garmin AMP mounting bracket. What idiot thought that an appropriate level of theft protection is an anti-tamper screw and bit, instead of any type of actual lock? What makes it worse is that the turned aluminum housing for the anti-tamper bit is quite nice and surely cost twice what a lock would have.