Time to soak my clutch!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisflock

FJR nose gunner
Reaction score
I swung by the dealer where I originally got my FJR this weekend (Vetesnik), and talked to them about my stiff shifting. I've been getting some clunking and lurching when putting the bike into first, particularly when cold. When I told the dealer that my clutch was recently replaced by my local dealer, he seemed to know the problem right away...they didn't soak my clutch plates before installing.

Since this dealer was far away, I can't really leave my bike there for a couple days for them to work on it, and I don't trust the local dealer not to break my bike (again), so the guy at Vetesnik suggested I soak the clutch myself. Now, I'm not too worried about this procedure, but I want to double check with the wisdom of those who've gone through this before.

I'm going to assume that the clutch cover gasket is going to need to be replaced, so does anyone have any recommendation for an online place to order it from? Vetesnik didn't have it in stock, so I figured I might as well order it online and have it mailed straight to me.

The procedure seems straightforward, remove the side cover, remove the bolts holding the pressure plate on, remove all the clutch plates. I've done that on a ninja 250, so that doesn't worry me too much. I take it from the parts diagram and some posts I've read online that the innermost and outermost metal plates are unique and need to go back in the same place, but the rest of them are the same, is this correct? Also, the dealer told me that with the middle plates it doesn't matter which side goes toward the engine and which side goes out, but to put them all in the same orientation (he mentioned one edge of the plate would be rounded off and one edge sharp.) Does this sound correct

Any recommendation on how long I should soak them for reasonable benefit? Is there any advantage to soaking them for say, a full 24 hours vs just overnight? Should I clean them in any particular way before soaking?

Thanks,

Chris

I swung by the dealer where I originally got my FJR this weekend (Vetesnik), and talked to them about my stiff shifting. I've been getting some clunking and lurching when putting the bike into first, particularly when cold. When I told the dealer that my clutch was recently replaced by my local dealer, he seemed to know the problem right away...they didn't soak my clutch plates before installing.
Since this dealer was far away, I can't really leave my bike there for a couple days for them to work on it, and I don't trust the local dealer not to break my bike (again), so the guy at Vetesnik suggested I soak the clutch myself. Now, I'm not too worried about this procedure, but I want to double check with the wisdom of those who've gone through this before.

I'm going to assume that the clutch cover gasket is going to need to be replaced, so does anyone have any recommendation for an online place to order it from? Vetesnik didn't have it in stock, so I figured I might as well order it online and have it mailed straight to me.

The procedure seems straightforward, remove the side cover, remove the bolts holding the pressure plate on, remove all the clutch plates. I've done that on a ninja 250, so that doesn't worry me too much. I take it from the parts diagram and some posts I've read online that the innermost and outermost metal plates are unique and need to go back in the same place, but the rest of them are the same, is this correct? Also, the dealer told me that with the middle plates it doesn't matter which side goes toward the engine and which side goes out, but to put them all in the same orientation (he mentioned one edge of the plate would be rounded off and one edge sharp.) Does this sound correct

Any recommendation on how long I should soak them for reasonable benefit? Is there any advantage to soaking them for say, a full 24 hours vs just overnight? Should I clean them in any particular way before soaking?

Thanks,

Chris
When I had the clutch problem on my 07, the dealership's service dept soaked the friction plates in oil overnight. Haven't had a problem since. :D

Some of the small paint marks on the plates are hard to see. It seemed like they wiped off so I would be careful of that. I did mine without taking off the cowling, just loosened it, it would be easier it it were off. I also loosened the plastic side panel to be able to get the clutch cover off. I did put on a new gasket but IIRC some have used the old one. Mine stayed in good condition but I did not want to take it apart again if it leaked. I soaked the plates about 20-24 hours. I have put on about 100-150 miles since and it is an unbelievable difference. Hopefully it stays that way.

Danno

I did mine last week. I didn't need to replace the gasket as the old one was fine. Of course I had bought a new one which is probably why I didn't need it but if I hadn't I probably would have needed it. Murphy's law.

I also took off both the side cover and the front cowling.

I only soaked my plates for about an hour. I'm very impatient.

Clutch is definitely better. I can actually move the bike now, cold and in gear with the clutch pulled in. Couldn't before.

Oh if only someone on this forum had already posted a nifty how-to on the subject!
Oh, I forgot, "irony" is not my strong suit. Ah, well.

billfjr's clutch soak
That's just what I was looking for. When I did a google search, I found a bunch of threads about 'I just soaked my clutch and it works great' or 'My bike made a funny noise when I ran over a walrus," and some body replies 'try soaking your clutch', but didn't find the 'how-to'

Maybe there should be a link to that 'how to' in the Bin 'O' Facts on the Gen II?