Tire pressure gauges

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obsess much? Just wondering how many check their auto/pickup tires as compulsively as is described here. Geez....
Built in tire pressure monitors. Came with the Ridgeline. Wife's car was the one that needed them checked often. Can't recall how many times I have come home and noticed a tire on her car that was low. Now the sequoia that she has has the TPMS built in. They are sensitive enough.

Bikes will have a version of them built in by 2020 is my guess.

You'd have to be pretty OCD to choose a bike based on the fact it had TPMS, even if aftermarket kits weren't available!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a female voice? That would be nice on those long trips.
rolleyes.gif

But really, I kind of hate to depend on a battery operated thing when a good non-battery-dependent substitution can be had. I'll also stand against the (probably) majority who are so in favor of 90o stems. I don't find it any easier at all to get a gauge or an air hose on them than on a short straight one. With the gauge, I think the easiest way to do it is to use one with a right-angle fitting on the end. That way I only have to slide my fingers under the brake rotor to press the chuck straight down onto the stem. and not try to get my whole hand under there. And most of the battery units at least look like they'd be very hard for me to get my hands into position either to get a clear fit on the stem or to read the result. I like this kind.

6b62_35.JPG

Got me 6 dial gauges 'n they all read different, so I got me a digital gauge which is most accurate. Butt, I always keep a dial gauge on the bike, cuz I've seen the battery die on a digital.

My gauges are a claw hammer and a Milton Pencil 50 psig tire gauge.

I always whack the tires with the hammer before I roll back out of the garage. This is my quick yes/no indication.

I use the pencil gauge every fortnight or so and usually add a bit of air as necessary.

rolleyes.gif

But really, I kind of hate to depend on a battery operated thing when a good non-battery-dependent substitution can be had. I'll also stand against the (probably) majority who are so in favor of 90o stems. I don't find it any easier at all to get a gauge or an air hose on them than on a short straight one. With the gauge, I think the easiest way to do it is to use one with a right-angle fitting on the end. That way I only have to slide my fingers under the brake rotor to press the chuck straight down onto the stem. and not try to get my whole hand under there. And most of the battery units at least look like they'd be very hard for me to get my hands into position either to get a clear fit on the stem or to read the result. I like this kind.

6b62_35.JPG
I split the diff on the angled stems. An angled one on the front I found to be a royal PITA so I went back to a straight one. On the rear I prefer it facing left. I'm right-handed but for some goofy reason I have an easier time using some things, like a tire pressure gage, left handed.

The stick one I have has a (I'm guessing) 60 deg head on it. I just rotate it up so the stick pops out kinda parallel to the rim. The hardest part is reading the d**m thing without glasses.

rolleyes.gif

6b62_35.JPG
Naw, it's a male voice, alas, I wish I could choose a British female one! I use one of these dial gauges in my track bike kit. I like the pressure release button feature since when I start with the cold setting and put my warmers on, inevitably I have to lower the pressure to my preferred hot setting before going out on track. As for the battery operated ones, I have the Roadgear one and a cheapy, both have been working for years on the original batteries.

I put t-valves on, to better accommodate my FOBO TPMS (if you don't have TPMS, I highly recommend FOBO. I was drinking espresso at 4:05am this morning, picked up my iphone and learned that my rear was 2 lbs low, all from my recliner). I found that it's so much easier to check and adjust pressure with the t-valves (given clearance issues), I should have put a set on sooner, just for convenience.

I would vote against built-in TPMS...... lessons from Kawi and BMW, sensors expensive and last only a couple of years. Better aftermarket options have sensors with replaceable batteries (e.g., Garmin, FOBO, Hawkshead) and not tied into your ECU.