Tire PSI Rise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real question not answered is why will a under inflated tire will rise PSI to match a correctly inflated tire? Be it 2 wheels or 4 as Fred shared in his 4 wheel experience.
I though that was answered already. The tire with the lower initial pressure tire will run hotter, which will raise its pressure up more than a higher (correctly) inflated one. Being that you have a TPMS installed, if you picked up an IR temp gun (a handy tool to have anyway) you could run experiments on this yourself.
Must have missed that but it makes sense.

I wish Smart Tire still made theirs as they show temp rise also. When I had the opportunity years ago to get a set I was running Ride On religiously. I liked that they were attached in the center of the wheel with a worm clamp. Still inside and if something went south you had to shed the tire to get to it.

That is why I run the Doran and they can also be mounted internal but I choose to keep them outside.

At any rate I think I am ok with my PSI rise as I have seen it in this area on all bikes and tire combos I have run. I think it is a very important to know how much PSI or temp rise you are getting on your tires and something that is overlooked on mileage reports on tires.

I also think it will tell you if 39 or 40 or 42 PSI is working for you, your riding style, and load on the bike. It is all we got to make sure we are taking care of our tires.

I know there is more to tire life then PSI but I think it starts there.

The real question not answered is why will a under inflated tire will rise PSI to match a correctly inflated tire? Be it 2 wheels or 4 as Fred shared in his 4 wheel experience.
I though that was answered already. The tire with the lower initial pressure tire will run hotter, which will raise its pressure up more than a higher (correctly) inflated one. Being that you have a TPMS installed, if you picked up an IR temp gun (a handy tool to have anyway) you could run experiments on this yourself.
Must have missed that but it makes sense.

I wish Smart Tire still made theirs as they show temp rise also.
Me, too. The SmarTire system took all of the guess work out of things. Yes, it would show you the current temperature and pressure. But even better, it would take the tire pressure, compensate for temperature, and show you any actual pressure loss or gain. So while you would see a expected, normal pressure gain caused by the heat (tire friction or ambient temperature), you would also see a plus or minus difference from the expected air pressure at the current tire temperature. Giving you a big clue whether any air is actually leaking out of the tire.

And they took it off the market. The bastids! :glare: