TireGuard TPMS 2-Wheel System ???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a set and I don't use them anymore.

Waste of money.

One transducer was faulty from the beginning and sent the lot back for replacement.

I had the fitters at work calibrate the transducers and they were basically useless, way off.

It would be better to get a set of right angled valve stems and a good quality tyre gauge.

Cheers

PS I had the screw on valve cap types

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this but it's called a tyredog. It works great. They recommend you install solid tire valves because they do pull a rubber one on an angle because of the centrifcal force. I use dyna beads to deals with any balancing issues. Another thing that helps is using nitrogen to fill your tires. It doesn't leak down like air and holds presure more constant than just air.

Here's what i learned about nitrogen:

Air is 78 percent nitrogen, just under 21 percent oxygen, and the rest is water vapor, CO2 and small concentrations of noble gases such as neon and argon. We can ignore the other gases.

There are several compelling reasons to use pure nitrogen in tires.

First is that nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term. Racers figured out pretty quickly that tires filled with nitrogen rather than air also exhibit less pressure change with temperature swings. That means more consistent inflation pressures during a race as the tires heat up. And when you're tweaking a race car's handling with half-psi changes, that's important.

Passenger cars can also benefit from the more stable pressures. But there's more: Humidity (water) is a Bad Thing to have inside a tire. Water, present as a vapor or even as a liquid in a tire, causes more of a pressure change with temperature swings than dry air does. It also promotes corrosion of the steel or aluminum rim.

If I ever need to top off a tire when I'm out on the road, I'll always briefly depress the tire chuck's valve with my thumbnail and vent some air. If my thumb gets wet, there's water in the line. Some gas stations don't do a very good job of keeping the humidity out of their air system. I don't even like to use a water-based tire-mounting lubricant unless I can let the tire bake in the sun for a couple of hours before I air it up and seat the bead. I've dismounted tires (not mine) that had several quarts of water inside—probably from a compressed-air hose that collected water and was never purged properly.

How is water relevant to a nitrogen discussion? Any system that delivers pure nitrogen is also going to deliver dry nitrogen. Filling tires with nitrogen involves filling and purging several times in succession, serially diluting the concentration of oxygen in the tire. This will also remove any water.

I went to Costco were i bought some tires and they filling em for nuthin. :clapping:

I almost forgot: I lost my receiver and had to get a new one from Hong Kong. They had me send the transmitters back and sent me a new system for $60. I thought that was cool. Gonna use the key chain thingy to attach it to the wires on my handlebar next time, and not trust velcro alone. $60 mistake.

Have it and use it, almost every day, for almost a year now, with no problems. +1 on getting the solid/metal valve stems. If your stems are borderline, these will definitely affect them, and not for the better. Balance the wheel with it on the stem, if you like.

+1 have used this on all my bikes for years with no issues. I did a balance with them and some without a balance and couldn't tell the difference. My set is off by about .2 on each tire - pretty good. Either that or my tire guage is off! Nice to simpy push a button and check pressures before you are off. I recommend the Tiregard to anyone looking for a TPMS. This system is easy to install/use and has the tire temp.

Close up of unit mounted with velcro on left side of dash.

tg1.jpg

Distance shot - love the small size

tg2.jpg

+1 have used this on all my bikes for years with no issues. I did a balance with them and some without a balance and couldn't tell the difference. My set is off by about .2 on each tire - pretty good. Either that or my tire guage is off! Nice to simpy push a button and check pressures before you are off. I recommend the Tiregard to anyone looking for a TPMS. This system is easy to install/use and has the tire temp.
Close up of unit mounted with velcro on left side of dash.

tg1.jpg

Distance shot - love the small size

tg2.jpg

THANKS GUYS.......

I have the Doran TPMS it works great and can be mounted on the inside or outside of the tire and comes with both straight or 90 Degree steel valve stems. The reciever unit is hard wired which I prefer over battery. I also have Smart Tire TPMS on one bike and the DORAN system on the other both work fine but the Smart Tire system is no longer being made.

I have this but it's called a tyredog. It works great. They recommend you install solid tire valves because they do pull a rubber one on an angle because of the centrifcal force. I use dyna beads to deals with any balancing issues. Another thing that helps is using nitrogen to fill your tires. It doesn't leak down like air and holds presure more constant than just air.
Check this out:

https://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007...-nitrogen-.html

probably not worth the extra $$

I just did some quick math and figured this out. (Assuming that the oxygen is preferentially leaking from the tire)

1) fill tire with air = 78% Nitrogen, 21% O2, 1% other stuff

2) allow all Oxygen to "leak" out = -21% gas loss, tire now contains nearly pure nitrogen (at a lowered pressure)

3) refill with air again = 95% nitrogen in tire

Essentially, if oxygen is the primary cause of pressure loss, then each time you pump them back up, the N2 concentration increases.

I have the Doran TPMS it works great and can be mounted on the inside or outside of the tire and comes with both straight or 90 Degree steel valve stems. The reciever unit is hard wired which I prefer over battery. I also have Smart Tire TPMS on one bike and the DORAN system on the other both work fine but the Smart Tire system is no longer being made.
+1

Been using the Doran for 4 years now and not one issue and very accurate to any gauge I use on the tires.

I have one in the box waiting on me to install on the FJR this week yet.

I also install their stems which they include.

1) A TPMS that isn't in your primary or secondary visual field is next to worthless. A tire can deflate from a puncture faster than you can pull out a keyfob.

2) If it's not waterproof, it can't go on the dash or out in the open. This may not apply to you, but it sure does to me.

That said, I have a TireWatch system that's no longer in service. Even their claims of 'water resistant' were bullshit, and their display unit is 'sealed' with an o-ring in the battery compartment.

Whatever you do, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use an angled RUBBER valve stem on your bike. ONLY use the solid valve stems as sold by Premier Cycle, Bike Effects, etc. It matters.

Whatever you do, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use an angled RUBBER valve stem on your bike. ONLY use the solid valve stems as sold by Premier Cycle, Bike Effects, etc. It matters.
Anyone have experience with straight rubber valve stems?

<!--quoteo(post=789279:date=Sep 16 2010, 07:49 AM:name=ngarider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ngarider @ Sep 16 2010, 07:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=789279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whatever you do, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use an angled RUBBER valve stem on your bike. ONLY use the solid valve stems as sold by Premier Cycle, Bike Effects, etc. It matters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Anyone have experience with straight rubber valve stems?
I am using the OEM straight rubber stems and have not noticed any issues. However, when I get my new tires on, I will get straight metal stems.

Check this out:

<a href="https://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/10/tires-nitrogen-.html" target="_blank">https://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007...-nitrogen-.html</a>

probably not worth the extra $$

I just did some quick math and figured this out. (Assuming that the oxygen is preferentially leaking from the tire)

1) fill tire with air = 78% Nitrogen, 21% O2, 1% other stuff

2) allow all Oxygen to "leak" out = -21% gas loss, tire now contains nearly pure nitrogen (at a lowered pressure)

3) refill with air again = 95% nitrogen in tire

Essentially, if oxygen is the primary cause of pressure loss, then each time you pump them back up, the N2 concentration increases.
+1! If you have easy access to N2, then so be it, but if you have to pay $$ for it, no way. I follow the reasoning above; if it's only the O2 that leaks out, then at some point you'll have a almost pure N2 mix. Dunno, I don't seem to leak down all that much when I check tires.

I did have access to N2 at work and took the trouble of doing it for a time but didn't really notice any difference either in how the tires would need to be refilled or any handling.

Butt, if it makes ya feel better, go for it!!