To go HighDef or not ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
One of our other bike friends (Viffer rider) just got himself a new 55" LED, 1080dpi TV --- has HD reception via Comcast. The picture is absolutely FANTASTIC. Superbike racing made you think you were at trackside :eek:

Now the question ---- our TV is a paltry :rolleyes: 42" DLP, 720dpi, with regular reception via DISH. If we went HD reception, how much better would our picture be? Noticeable ? Should really get a better TV huh? Trying to talk myself into it but it's difficult to do with a TV we've been happy with --- till last night :lol:

I know you're all just there to help - right :) Many thanks ya'll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had me worried for a minute when I saw the thread title, I thought you were thinking of getting some Milwaukee Iron, Harley Davidson :yahoo:

I don't normally appreciate the finest or latest in audio or visual gadgets, but HD is a must. The difference is amazing.

Go HD, but go with the 240hz, instead of a 120. The TV's ability to keep up with the changing picture is way better.

Honestly, go to a specialty TV place and have them show you the difference. I never knew either until we went TV shopping a few months ago.

You'll have to decide on a mat screen or a glossy depending on your room's brightness. You'll also want HDMI cables for everything, but of you have Dish Network they may provide them for you. If not, get them at BestBuy or Walmart.

Again, your TV shop can tell you all this stuff. Even if you don't buy from them.

Our family TV was black and white until '72, then we got our first color set, I now have HD, standard TV is like black and white, HD is in crystal clear COLOR!! here is another test, have your neighbor kick you in the nuts, thats standard TV, when it feels alot better, thats HD.

FWFE

Go HD, but not 1080. Get the better 2080 or whatever that number is. The TV's ability to keep up with the changing picture is way better.

Honestly, go to a specialty TV place and have them show you the difference. I never knew either until we went TV shopping a few months ago.

You'll have to decide on a mat screen or a glossy depending on your room's brightness. You'll also want HDMI cables for everything, but of you have Dish Network they may provide them for you. If not, get them at BestBuy or Walmart.

Again, your TV shop can tell you all this stuff. Even if you don't buy from them.
I think you mean 240Hz vs 120hz. 1080 is the better resolution. I think all the new LED LCDs are glossy screen.

Go HD, but not 1080. Get the better 2080 or whatever that number is. The TV's ability to keep up with the changing picture is way better.

I think you mean 240Hz vs 120hz. 1080 is the better resolution. I think all the new LED LCDs are glossy screen.
Aw shit...That is what I meant. I knew something didn't sound right, but I didn't know what. Anyway, huge difference between 120 and 240.

Thanks for the fix!

Our family TV was black and white until '72, then we got our first color set, I now have HD, standard TV is like black and white, HD is in crystal clear COLOR!! here is another test, have your neighbor kick you in the nuts, thats standard TV, when it feels alot better, thats HD.

FWFE
:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

Or plasma, which does not show motion artifacts the way LCD screens do. I have a 55" plasma, it's incredible. Plasma has a rep for being dimmer, which I find not to be the case, and it has a rep for burn-in, which is also not the case on newer sets. Plasma is as good as CRT displays for fast-action motion, no slow pixels taking several frames to catch up.

Downside is very reflective screen, so room lights have to be dim and up high. (Not because the screen's not bright, but so they don't reflect in the screen.) And power consumption. You probably won't find Energy Star plasmas; mine is 370 watts.

Mine's also 3D, which is not why I bought it. It was the only 1080p plasma at the store at the time. I didn't want to limit myself to 720, and I didn't see any LCD sets (even 240Hz) that didn't show pixel storms in fast motion. Why go HD if the picture fuzzes out all the time??!?!?!

Then I picked up a couple of 3D BluRays. Way cool. And today, watching ESPN 3D coverage of the Masters. You guys wish you were me. Seriously.

And don't be fooled by some guy telling you that LEDs are better than LCDs: LED screens are LCDs, they just use LEDs for light instead of flourescent edge lights.

But for HD or not: it's not even a question!!!!

Now I'm all for excuses to buy new toys but it may not be worth it. A new lamp can renew a dlp if it is getting dim. As far as 1080p unless you have a blu-ray player very few tv services actually provide a 1080p service at this time. Most HD recievers only broadcast in 720p. If you want a new tv yes it's worth it.

Now I'm all for excuses to buy new toys but it may not be worth it. A new lamp can renew a dlp if it is getting dim. As far as 1080p unless you have a blu-ray player very few tv services actually provide a 1080p service at this time. Most HD recievers only broadcast in 720p. If you want a new tv yes it's worth it.
I have a 40" 120hz 1080p LED i bought cheap and DISH broadcasts 1080i.

The difference between standard and HD signals on DISH is significant and annoying. there is nothing worse than watching a football game on a 720p or better tv and have the pixelating problems blur it out. Even the old CRT tv from the 80's gets a clearer picture from the signal.

They do this to force you into buying the HD channels and more money per month. Do it. You probably wont need a new tv for a while since 720p is still good quality.

The other problem is compression ratios from the signal suppliers. Since the folks on this side of the pond demand 1000 channels of the same crap the signals are severely compressed which gives an OK but not truly great picture. The Europeans need fewer channels and HD channels over there are simply incredible. I was watching the Tour de France one year in HD at home and then left to go to Iceland where I watched the German HD feed on a PAL HDTV in a local bar in Reykjavik.

The color and sharpness of the image compared to my HD LCD Sony was amazing. I am told that in Japan, which uses the same NTSC system to broadcast as we do on this side of the pond, the signal quality is again vastly superior. My understanding for this is that the Japanese take more care in the quality of the broadcast signal than over here where the attitude seems to be just throw some crap out there.

If you don't travel out of the Americas then you don't know what you are missing. Having said all that you do really need to be good to yourself and at least bring in HD channels to your HDTV. It is better than getting a RadioHowie to the sac by the neighbour's kid.

We are old school (i.e. 43" DLP 720p). The switch from SD to HD was significant, even staying with 720p. Not sure if 1080p is worth it ... perhaps on a larger screen. For now, we're perfectly happy with our DLP, smoothness and lack of pixelation and can't justify the cost of an upgrade.