To YES or not to YES...that is the question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone give me a name and contact email for D&H Cycle? Didn't see it on this thread. Just picked up a used 15ES and want to purchase YES for it. Bizarre story about that purchase to follow. Thanks.

Don't attempt to email them. Pick up the phone. Tell them you want to buy YES coverage for your bike and they will set you up. They are family run business and do not have a big presence in cyberspace.

Phone number and hours here: D&H Cycle

whoknewit posted: Can someone give me a name and contact email for D&H Cycle? Didn't see it on this thread. Just picked up a used 15ES and want to purchase YES for it. Bizarre story about that purchase to follow. Thanks.
1. Google knows everybody's address and phone number.

2. Bet they charge you $389 like they charged me two weeks ago.

3. Always interested in bizarre stories, SO HURRY UP AND POST IT.

4. Congrats on your new bike! See you at Hooterville next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not big on extended warranties unless they are a bargoon..... Example, in Canuckistan, extended warranty can be $840 to $1,400 depending on whether you choose 12, 24, 36 or 48 months (it used to be more a couple of years ago). If you can fix stuff yourself, not worth it IMHO. But, in the US, it's so cheap, even I'd do it as it would be basic insurance. The poll indicates most don't have to use it, a testimony to the reliability.

Contrast that with a Honda ST1300 where a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty is included... but an ST is priced higher than an FJR

^^^^ Are those Canadian dollars and metric months?
coolsmiley02.gif

(And since I already have 20,000 MILES on my 2015 FJR, I figure the YES might get some use.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, C$. I figure factory warranty should take care of most repair risk, but a one year warranty is kinda short..... YES is a no brainer for you 'Mericans.

I bought Y.E.S. from D&H for my 2006 AE and for my 2009 AE. I never used either one, but I thought that I would benefit when I sold or traded the bikes.

I did not. In both cases, I traded to Yamaha dealers, and their preference was to screw Y.E.S. and also screw the used bike customer by selling them a new extended warranty for more profit. So ... I cancelled the contract both times and got a refund from Yamaha.

Now I have bought another '09 AE from a Mom & Pop dealer that does not have any specific franchises up in Wisconsin, and he touted the presence of the Y.E.S. warranty. I was able to get it transferred into my name at no cost by a local dealer that I've bragged about in another thread.

I have to admit, after the trouble I've had with the '08 FJR AE (it has been getting "fixed" at the selling dealer, a Yamaha franchise holder, in another state), I was glad that the '09 had the Y.E.S. plan, and it was probably a factor in my buying that bike from the guy in Wisconsin. But I did not pay any extra for it.

I am pretty much convinced that Y.E.S. is like other farkles.

You buy it.

Maybe you use it and gain some pleasure or benefit.

When you sell, maybe you sell more quickly ..... or NOT. It is unlikely that you will get more money for the bike by including the farkles, so you might as well strip them off and sell them separately. In the case of Y.E.S., you might as well cancel the contract and get your refund.

Like a lot of other guys here, I think it's worth buying Y.E.S. on the new FJR because there are a lot of high dollar parts.

The dealer that has been trying to diagnose and repair my '08 FJR AE (on his clock and his dime), has now tried over $3500 worth of parts, to no avail. Things like MCU, ECU, Shift Motor, Meter, Harness, Subharness, etc. etc. are all priced as though the bikes were from Italy or Germany. They have 10s of hours into their diagnostic activity, all with Yamaha's consultative help.

$389 is cheaper than even one single repair would be if it were needed.

I think Y.E.S. is a heck of a bargain at the price point offered by D&H, and if I buy a 2015 or 2016 (I'm thinking about it), I will give D&H a call and add that to the price of admission again ... with the full expectation that I will never need it. And if I sell the new bike at some point before Y.E.S. is over, I'll just cancel again and pocket the refund.

Bought it and never used it on my '03. But, I would buy again. I'm still WAY ahead based on the work Yamaha did on my '99 R1. They replaced a frame, repaired the transmission 4 times, replaced the engine cyclinders, rods and pistons at 100,000 miles due to a scored piston, think they also coved a set of wheel bearings and a fork rebuild. But, again a lot of that may not have been covered quite as well at another dealership, they really took good care of me.

Grady

whoknewit posted: Can someone give me a name and contact email for D&H Cycle? Didn't see it on this thread. Just picked up a used 15ES and want to purchase YES for it. Bizarre story about that purchase to follow. Thanks.
1. Google knows everybody's address and phone number.

2. Bet they charge you $389 like they charged me two weeks ago.

3. Always interested in bizarre stories, SO HURRY UP AND POST IT.

4. Congrats on your new bike! See you at Hooterville next year!
1. Found their website (such as it is), but no email address. I sometimes forget that I can use a phone.

2. Yes, indeed $389 from D&H. Renee called me to let me know she got my check. She suggested that I call the dealer I bought the bike from and have them transfer the existing warranty into my name (it was still in the previous owner's name). That way the Y.E.S. warranty would come in my name. A nice touch, she cared about my business. I called the dealer and he had my name on the existing warranty within a couple of hours.

3. Already posted my bizarre buying adventure.

4. Thanks! I was previously unaware of a town in MO called Hooterville. Must visit!