Took the plunge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many, and maybe most of us replace the stock screen sooner or later. Same with the stock seat. Lots of threads about those, too. There are plenty of other mods* you'll be tempted to do eventually before you're done and they all can help with your comfort and safety. This is a good place to look to research all that, so make yourself at home. Welcome.

*Think: handlebar risers, front and rear auxiliary lighting, highway pegs, top case or luggage rack, etc. etc. etc.

I read this forum quite a bit when I was shopping and negotiating and everything I read was very helpful. I was aware of the mods that some of y’all have done. I am impressed with the amount of customization. Went out to the Texas hill country yesterday and noticed that the handling felt a little loose in the corners, so that is my first on my list to get fine tuned. I really liked the Red color before, but after a wash and wax I like it even more. My bikes stay garaged, but I’m not sure she spent much time inside before me. If I only knew how to post a picture I would be happy to share ☹️

What are your thoughts regarding addressing the "loose" handling in the corners?

Big difference from the ZRX, no? It's a big heavy bike, but she looses about 100 pounds after 20 mph. Wind protection is deceptive. You are going MUCH faster than you realize. Please keep that in mind. I've ridden hill country many times. There aren't many "gotcha" decreasing radii curves over there, but to be clear, when countersteer comes to shove, the FJR is heavy and requires commitment.

3 weeks after I bought my first FJR, I crashed it because I was OVERLY confident. I don't want that to happen to you.

Just a warning to check what year FJR someone is riding when they recommend a windshield. There are aerodynamic differences between different Generations of the FJR, so a shield that works great on a Gen I (2003-2005) might not be so great on a Gen II (2006-2012). Note that windshields are not interchangeable between different Gens either.

Handling loose in the corners? Check tire pressure first, 'cause it's easy and cheap to fix -- and may solve the problem. Should be tighter than 42 psi in each; I like 44 in the front.

I'm also 6'3" tall and I just bought a National VStream windshield from RevZilla and It helped with the wind and it works great.

I'm also 6'3" tall and I just bought a National VStream windshield from RevZilla and It helped with the wind and it works great. I ride a 2007 FJR

Let me see if I can explain more about the “loose” comment. It seemed that the front was “light” going into the corner and I was leaving the apex of the turn a little wider than I wanted. I don’t know if it was more of a function of the suspension not being fine tuned for me or that I was getting the feel of the bike, or a combination of both. I’ll definitely check the tire pressure though.

I have read good things about theVStream shield.

Let me see if I can explain more about the “loose” comment. It seemed that the front was “light” going into the corner and I was leaving the apex of the turn a little wider than I wanted. I don’t know if it was more of a function of the suspension not being fine tuned for me or that I was getting the feel of the bike, or a combination of both. I’ll definitely check the tire pressure though. I have read good things about theVStream shield.
The VStream is great...until it gets hot. I put the stock screen back on for the summer because I overheat otherwise. I'll deal with the wind.

As far as the wide turn, part of that may be suspension settings, and part of it is the weight of the bike. IIRC you are coming from a smaller, lighter bike? If so, then hppants comment about committing to a turn is very true. I rode for years and consider myself an experienced rider, but the FJR required some re-learning on my part. Since I bought my FJR, I have adjusted my suspension settings at least three times and have finally found a good compromise setting for most ride conditions. The bike is very compliant now, but I always need to be aware of the weight in approaching corners. It's gotten way way easier now than when I first got the bike.

Regards,

Dan

You are coming from a bike that turns better than the FJR. Rake and trail specifications do not lie. Add the fact that your FJR weighs in at a ton more, and I would suggest you give it a bit more mileage before you start throwing money at it. Concentrate on riding the curves with the "outside, inside, outside" method. Try to find your slowest speed before you find the apex, hold the throttle neutral at the apex, and apply the fuel just past the apex. This will settle the chassis through the turn and offer you better control. I know that you know this - but with your ZRX, there was a larger margin of forgiveness in this.

Edit - it just occurred to me that the ZRX might be carbeurated. This is significant. Your muscle memory may have you applying the throttle a smidge too soon because on the bike with carbs, it takes a split second for them to react to your input. With fuel injection, the reaction is instantaneous. Coming from a carbed bike to the FJR myself, I do remember this transitions, expecially in the twisties.

Check your pre-load (start with 3/4" sag difference between unloaded on the center stand and with you on the pegs off the center stand - you need a helper). Set the front tire at 40 psi. Rear at 42. I'm assuming that the bike still has the stock POS Bridgestones on it. And now they are 4 years old and if the bike sat outside, with the temperature swings, they are starting to get a bit hard. Check the sidewalls very closely for some microscopic cracks. Look at the profile of the tire from the top for even a hint of scalloping. If either side is even the slightest bit squared off, then I guarantee you that is the problem.

Adjust tire pressure and front pre-load.

Ride it more under a variety of conditions.

Play with the dampening during the day under (as close as you can figure) similar conditions.

After that, if you feel you must try something, I'd try a new set of tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Commit fully to the turn, bend your elbow so your chin is on your wrist, and trust your tires. It will get better with more FJR saddle time.

Momma Yama has made this bike big and bad, and she will easily hustle down the road once you two get familiar with each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions on the handling especially to hppants and Uncle Hud. I raised the air pressure in both tires running about 42 in each now and also tightened up the rebound damping. With those adjustments and about 150 more miles in the saddle today, she feels a ton better in and out of the corners.

Welcome, if your last weekend in June is open check out the Black Hills Roundup II, Spearfish SD. Fifty plus of the finest FJR reprobates will be here for great fellowship and wonderful roads in the Black Hills.

Latest posts