Top Trunk on Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LAF - Agreed that the Admore light kit on the Givi is pretty compelling.

The mounting system is pretty stout as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SR357 mounting bracket has two bolt locations under the pillion. I have a Corbin Smuggler trunk on order (now you want to talk about an overpriced bike accessory!) and wonder if this will interfere with the mounting of the smuggler. Anyone have experience with this?

SR357Mount_zps29775ea8.png

Also, the SR357 is made to replace the OEM grab bars. I will be running without the top-case most of the time, so this is a consideration. The OEM grab bars look better IMO - form over function.

p1010602e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok - through the magic of the search button, I found out that the SR357 will interfere with the Smuggler.

I think I will roll with the E228 plate, allowing me to keep the OEM grab rails.

Going with the E55 Monokey with Admore light kit in matte black.

I can always get a shell and have it painted later I suppose.

It's really the Admore lights that sold me - just gotta have em.

Although it isn't as stout as the SR357, the E228 will work fine for the trunk mount. To minimize the risk of rear subframe damage, be respectful of the max loading, especially with the E55. I mainly use the trunk for items that take a lot of room but don't weigh much...

BTW -- Have the complete Admore kit in my V46 Tech Case, you'll like it a lot!

--G

Ok, it's all done (sort of). Here as some pics of the Shad SH48 on my Gen3. I decided not to do the top cover at all and instead I removed the side panels of the case and sent them to Gary (Garauld) for painting.

Colorite, Gary's source for paint, doesn't have the '13 color down correctly at this moment as it lacks a lot of the greenish undertones of the distict factory paint. Kind of BS really when you consider it's $140 a can! Gary said that once he gets the matching paint he'll repaint them.

But the pics don't show the difference of paint that much and someone wondering how it'll turn out can get a good idea from them.

FJR%20Shad%20SH48-1.jpg

FJR%20Shad%20SH48-2.jpg

FJR%20Shad%20SH48-3.jpg

FJR%20Shad%20SH48-4.jpg

I'd like to add that I'm very happy that I cancelled the original factory case and went this direction instead. The locking mechanism is much more user friendly with it's ability latch and unlatch without the key. Also the space works much better inside the case. I can get two full-face helmets inside with ease (on XL and one L). The quality is excellent.

Thanks to all the forum members who beat some sense into me! Much appreciated.

Great looking rig CopB8! The Shad backrest looks great - better than the Givi I think and the color on the sides is a great detail.

Great looking rig CopB8! The Shad backrest looks great - better than the Givi I think and the color on the sides is a great detail.
Thank you. I really like how it turned out. My wife says the back rest comfort and position is FAR better than the stock units I had on my '04.

Shoulda had him paint the fender......
R
Hmmmm....that never even crossed my mind. Did you do that? Have any pics?

CopB8 - I am all over the map on changing the color of the front fender. I really like how Fairlaner's bike has turned out overall - excellent. But like you with all of the other other black accents on the bike, including the soon to be released Canyon Cages, I am leaning towards leaving it as is. Fairlaner's original motivation to change the color was due to the flat color of the fender picking up road dirt and oil and messing up the finish. I also have a Givi top box that I am considering painting. It is textured though and am not sure how it will look.

Ok, it's all done (sort of). Here as some pics of the Shad SH48 on my Gen3. I decided not to do the top cover at all and instead I removed the side panels of the case and sent them to Gary (Garauld) for painting.
Colorite, Gary's source for paint, doesn't have the '13 color down correctly at this moment as it lacks a lot of the greenish undertones of the distict factory paint. Kind of BS really when you consider it's $140 a can! Gary said that once he gets the matching paint he'll repaint them.

But the pics don't show the difference of paint that much and someone wondering how it'll turn out can get a good idea from them.

FJR%20Shad%20SH48-1.jpg

FJR%20Shad%20SH48-2.jpg

FJR%20Shad%20SH48-3.jpg

FJR%20Shad%20SH48-4.jpg
That's a BEAUTIFUL bike. I love it!