Topbox Owners - Usage?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHFJR

Reaction score
If you own a topbox, how often is your topbox on your bike when you pull out of the garage? Please reference a percentage of time like 25%. Just wondered if most keep the box on only on trips or do a lot of people keep it on at all times. Secondly, when it is off the bike where do you store it? I still have the box mine came in and I keep it in the box on the garage floor. I know not the best palce for it and it gets in the way alot, but I have no shelves in the garage big enough to hold it. Just wondered what others do with theirs!

If you own a topbox, how often is your topbox on your bike when you pull out of the garage? Please reference a percentage of time like 25%. Just wondered if most keep the box on only on trips or do a lot of people keep it on at all times. Secondly, when it is off the bike where do you store it? I still have the box mine came in and I keep it in the box on the garage floor. I know not the best palce for it and it gets in the way alot, but I have no shelves in the garage big enough to hold it. Just wondered what others do with theirs!
90%. Mine's a big-assed GIVI, and not very attractive, but it sure is handy. So much easier to use than the bags. And it goes on and off the bike so easily, carries like a suitcase, and at home I use it as a coffee table. :D

100%

I keep mine on all the time, using it instead of the side cases, which I store off the bike unless heading out on a long trip. Side cases are expensive to replace and the top box won't touch down in the event of a tip-over.

I'd say mine's on 66% (2/3rd's) of the time. Every time the wife or daughter ride, it's their backrest. And depending on what I have to take to work (I have no cage, only the family grocery getter), I'll use it.

When not on the bike, I have a storage cabinet in the garage that it sits on top of along with my spare tires; it's up off the floor and out of the way.

wr

100 % of the time, once you have luggage you'll never be without it, its just to damn handy.... W

(ps I've upgraded to a givi box since the picture in my thumbnail was taken)

Last edited by a moderator:
100%, unless my golf clubs are strapped on in its place. My Givi V46 is part of my safety gear, as it contains the awesome Fred H. LED light kit. The more lights back there (and up high) the better.

Bucking the trend, only 10% on long trips or two up. GIVI 52 with your small rack, I just don't need all that room every day.

Stored up high where it's out of the way.

75%.

Use it extensively during day in day out commuting duty and errand running.

Sometimes take it off for a spirited day ride in the mountains.

100% We only use the bike for long weekends so it gets used every time we ride. The wife now does not like going on the bike without it. (Quote: Incase I act stupid)

100% of the time, w/side bags as well. The bike is my main transportation, so it's handy going to the store, ect. The base was cracked when I bought the bike (at ~4000 m) and was replaced under warranty, since replaced again w/the updated unit.

I have my Givi V46 on real close to 100% of the time and only use the side bags for long trips. It's way easier to use and squeezes between lanes much better on my daily commute than the side bags. It's also the only backrest I have for my wife.

but I have no shelves in the garage big enough to hold it. Just wondered what others do with theirs!
It is time to rectify that problem. ;) How does on own a bike and not have shelves for goodies, supplies and parts? :huh:

5%-10%. Mostly long trips or overnighters to see the kids. I have been known to leave the sidecases of and use the topcase only (but the bike looks sooo much better with the sidecases on).

100%. I leave it on all of the time and store my extra tools and stuff there. Most of the time I only use the trunk and leave the saddle bags off. I only use the saddle bags for trips where I need the extra storage.

95% of the time. My Givi V46 sits nicely on the rack that you made.

The other 5% it sits either on garbage container or a plastic box that I have in my garage.

but I have no shelves in the garage big enough to hold it. Just wondered what others do with theirs!
It is time to rectify that problem. ;) How does on own a bike and not have shelves for goodies, supplies and parts? :huh:

5%-10%. Mostly long trips or overnighters to see the kids. I have been known to leave the sidecases of and use the topcase only (but the bike looks sooo much better with the sidecases on).

I have cabinets, and a few shelfs, but they are just full from other mostly motorcycle gear, like I have 7 helmets (don't ask). Bigger garage is the answer!

100%
I keep mine on all the time, using it instead of the side cases, which I store off the bike unless heading out on a long trip. Side cases are expensive to replace and the top box won't touch down in the event of a tip-over.
gunny! My givi is full of essentials like tools, layers of clothing, gloves, rainsuit, electrics, etc. If I need anything on the road, I expect it to be in my box!

100% Givi E52 and the side bags. I ride to work, my laptop goes in the Givi. At work, lunch, store, friend's house, wherever, my jacket and pants go in the Givi, helmet in the side bag. If I stop for groceries, I gear up, then stuff the goods.

Last edited by a moderator: