Topbox Owners - Usage?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50% or less. I have a yamaha cover and top box and store it on the bike covered. When I ride the local twisties I leave the top box on behind on top of a locker. I still have the cardboard box but have been thinking of getting rid of it for more shelf space. Usually take it (with the side bags) if riding 2 up or if I forsee the need to carry purchases or store riding gear. Becomes a necessity for overnighters/touring. Side bags are always on although I have been meaning to try a local high speed bagless run. :ph34r:

0% usage. :blink:

Call me paranoid, but I never liked that PortaPotti perched on the ass-end of my bike.

I've now adapted its mounting plate to take the BMW Soft Case that I used to have on my old K-RS. I can even lock it in place and it carries virtually the same amount of stuff without the megabulk. It has side pockets and a carry sling. Teerex happy! :lol:

SoftcaseBMW.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
100% of the time. I put my riding gear in the top box (pants, jacket, gloves, boots), the helmet fits in the right side case. The left one is for additional storage if needed.

For me, taking the top box off the bike is like taking the trunk off the cage. I feel naked without it (not a pretty sight).

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost always have a briefcase, rather than the Yam topcase. Once the topcase base plate developed the first cracks, it began to sit on a garage shelf 98% of the time, unless I need the volume.

What took its place is an old briefcase that I mounted so that it can be removed with a single pin. Not quite as stylish and color-matched, but it holds anything I need and is on the bike every day for commuting.

Bob

I've got a Givi. I use it 100% of all LD trips- 20% of local rides. It hangs by the handle on a bike hook in the garage. I store the side cases on hooks also.

If you own a topbox, how often is your topbox on your bike when you pull out of the garage? Please reference a percentage of time like 25%. Just wondered if most keep the box on only on trips or do a lot of people keep it on at all times. Secondly, when it is off the bike where do you store it? I still have the box mine came in and I keep it in the box on the garage floor. I know not the best palce for it and it gets in the way alot, but I have no shelves in the garage big enough to hold it. Just wondered what others do with theirs!

0% in the Summer, 100% in the winter, I need the extra storage for a light jacket, even here in Az it gets chilly over night. I recently bought a Smuggler and now the top box is back in the garage again. Hope fully for good, the bike looks so sweet with the Smuggler and Sidebags.

I use mine alot for my laptop when I commute to work since it doesn't fit well in the side bags. I'd say it's on the bike more than 50% of the time. On longer trips I use it alot. if I'm out for a solo ride I take it off and put it on a shelf on the side wall of my garage. It fits quite well on a 12" deep shelf.

20% of the time it is on the my bike. I use the topbox for long trips or a back rest for the wife when she is on the bike.

If, it is not on the bike that means I am riding the bike. Which means the topbox gets to sit in the front seat of my truck. If I need to drive the truck I just snap it on the bike.

Latest posts