TPS Signs and symtoms?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james1300

Reaction score
I have an '03 model with 34K on it.

Sometimes at 4K rpm, it starts to miss and lurch.(This is with the throttle at a constant setting)

Then, if I start using the throttle, opening and closing it (while riding thru twistys, the problem goes away).

But, It comes back, later, when Im again at Highway speeds and a constant throttle.

Is this the symptom of a bad TPS? How can I check this?

Thanks Jim

Sounds loke a TPS, You can test it from the diagnostic mode on the bike (doesn't always catch a bad one). Do you have a service manual?

Do a search and there are a couple recent threads on TPS's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a TPS, You can test it from the diagnostic mode on the bike (doesn't always catch a bad one). Do you have a service manual?Do a search and there are a couple recent threads on TPS's.
I just went through this - I put up with lurching and surging for about 8 months - finally I replaced the TPS and the problem is 100% solved. Yes, it is most likely the TPS, and for the tools and the part, a total of 120 or less, the bike will be perfect again.

The DIAG mode did NOT show a problem unless the bike was really hot and really surging... next time it starts, which I bet will be in about 10-12000 miles, I am just replacing the thing.

Sounds like a TPS, You can test it from the diagnostic mode on the bike (doesn't always catch a bad one). Do you have a service manual?

Do a search and there are a couple recent threads on TPS's.
I just went through this - I put up with lurching and surging for about 8 months - finally I replaced the TPS and the problem is 100% solved. Yes, it is most likely the TPS, and for the tools and the part, a total of 120 or less, the bike will be perfect again.

The DIAG mode did NOT show a problem unless the bike was really hot and really surging... next time it starts, which I bet will be in about 10-12000 miles, I am just replacing the thing.

Thanks for the help!

Ill let you knoiw what happens

forum does not allow any searches that include a 3 letter word.

I wonder if the seach engine could be changed to allow multiple word seaches that include 3 letter words.

I wonder if the seach engine could be changed to allow multiple word seaches that include 3 letter words.

I had the same problem recently, but if you put the word in quotes "TPS" it should work.

John

No.

I would suggest +throttle +position +sensor as an alternative search term.

This is what I got following Throttle+position+sensor search!

james1300 Posted on: Aug 19 2006, 10:24 PM :yahoo:

FJR Pilot

Group: Members

Member No.: 190

I have an '03 model with 34K on it.

Sometimes at 4K rpm, it starts to miss and lurch.(This is with the throttle at a constant setting)

Then, if I start using the throttle, opening and closing it (while riding thru twistys, the problem goes away).

But, It comes back, later, when Im again at Highway speeds and a constant throttle.

Is this the symptom of a bad TPS? How can I check this?

Thanks Jim

So, It too didnt work very well!

You should have come up with a page of TPS info if the search was set up correctly. Threre are a few items that you need to have selected for the search such as ALL FORUMS and SEARCH CHILD which will get all the sub folders.

SearchEngine.jpg

Click the underlined text to see what the search could have resulted in: Spoon Fed ;) :lol: Several of the TPS threads will contain links to additional information so check them out even if the original topic doesn't match your symptoms.

'Spoon Fed' or not, 'The search, as described didnt work'.

Thank you for the link and help.

The 'sarcasim', you can check.

'Spoon Fed' or not, 'The search, as described didnt work'....Thank you for the link and help....The 'sarcasim', you can check.
I understood that your search didn't work as it should have. Hope I helped you figure out why. Your welcome. And, I did say ;) just kidding, don't take it seriously and followed that with :lol: it's a joke too.
So, does it look like your TPS is a Total Piece of Shit?

Ion....thanks for giving me back my FJR -- my old '03 tps was a T.P.S. :( Now, thanks to the excellent help from this forum, it runs beautifully again. :)

Check out the FZ6 forum on the TPS problem in www.sportbikes.net--- about 33 pages of talk describing problem and recall.

B)

When the gods of fjrdom ban sarcasm....I'm out of here.

I wish they would just ban that avatar of yours :D

When the gods of fjrdom ban sarcasm....I'm out of here.

I wish they would just ban that avatar of yours :D

Contacted Sunnyside Yamaha, its been a week.

Seth, the service writer told me Yamaha hadent returned his calls.

He said hes supposed to hear from them by the end of buisness.

He calls me at 4:00pm, tells me Yamaha will cover TPS only if its a confirmed problem.

So, Im supposed to ride the bike until the surging is happening, then get it to them.

Keeping in mind, the on board trouble diagnostics arnt showing anything, what else can I do but ride

it?

I checked my Diagnostics read out. Its reading 16-100.Not 15-100. Is this a problem?
16 - 100 vs 15 - 100 is definitely not the problem.

I had similar rough riding problems under light load at 65 MPH, and an occasional stalling coming off of idle when hot. I would recommend that you perform the TPS diagnostic immediately the next time the symptom is observed. Based on my experience, I suspect, that as you open the throttle very slowly, you will come across erratic readings that jump around near the throttle position where you observed the roughness. Turn the throttle very slowly in this region. The fault in the TPS can be over a 1 degree angle or less.

If I were you, I would definitely replace the TPS. They are only ~ $125 - $135 retail (probably ~ $90 from Gary McCoy @ University Motors). The TPS is located on the right side (throttle side) of the throttle bodies on TB #4. The one Phillips screw is a little tough to access. I suggest using a 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver to remove it ($4 at Harbor Freight). Ionbeam had an excellent post on this topic that helped me resolve my TPS problem and it shows a break away view where the TPS is located.

Ionbeam's post with the instructions, and a figure with where the TPS is located (just to the outside of throttle body #4), is at https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...pic=3283&hl The figure is about 60% down toward sthe bottom of the thread. Good Luck!

Regards,

QuikSilver