Track bike / liter bike Which to get and why

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't pretend to be an expert but I will add a few things i have noticed either riding tracks or watching others.

I ride a 1.1 mile track on my 600 and I could ride the entire track in 2nd gear. Occasionally if I really wanted to beat someone down the straights I could change to 3rd and quickly back to 2nd for the corner.

I have also known many in this area who can ride with the best of them on the track to get off the 1000 and go back to the 600 because they had better control of it.

A guy in this area who races with CCS and constantly wins rides a SV650 and has a few track records on it.

Others who ride/race with him have bigger faster bikes and I have read their comments that they know they don't need any more bike until they can do on their 600 what Travis can do on the SV650!

if you buy the yamaha I bet you only have to go to one dealer to get both of your bikes serviced ;) As long as you're happy with your Yamaha dealer and as close as all the bikes are, reward the dealer. If you aren't happy with them, I'd go for the Suzuki, but that's JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree/understand that for less experienced track riders a 600/750cc is a wiser choice. My question is if one bought the 07GSXR with the ABC power controls would that mean that you could not only progress without having to switch bikes but also help in that you could get the gradul feel/adjustment to the 1L power without sacrifycing learning the cornering afforded by the 600/750 size bikes?