Trailer tie down points

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some times you just have to trailer your bike. The other option is not going.
47098_430843634627_5725051_n.jpg

Soft ties to the front forks, condor wheel chocks and ties to the rear peg mounts.
Hey...that's a nice trailer Pops!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G
You never know who is going to use it to pickup the new to them '09' FJR.
grin.gif

Yes, if you are towing far or fast, remove the windscreen(s).

Found 3 windscreens getting loose towing thru' the corn....

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me ask a stupid question. Why is it that the wind screens are in danger of coming off with the bike in a trailer going down the road when that same bike will be subject to similar wind forces during routine riding? Just what is it that creates this problem when trailering? Is it the swirling currents coming from the towing vehicle? I mean really, what is it? When we ride these bikes, they are subject to all kinds of wind velocities and vibrations. I just don't understand the root cause of the issue. I do know that I have to tighten my screen's screws from time to time since you cant get those nylon screws too awfully tight in the first place. Could it be that the two guys that lost shields just had loose shield screws in the first place and it just happened to seperate from the bike while in a trailer going down the road?

Yes, it would be the buffeting. Generally, windshields are subjected to fairly laminar flow, but behind a towing vehicle they get uneven flow that can shake the dog out of them.

Next time you pass a big truck, watch how your windshield can move quite a long way when it hits the slipstreams. That's quite a different motion to the normal forces, even at high speeds.

The OEM fasteners are plastic, and they can't take that kind of stress for long.

Towed GB's bike in an open trailer behind my truck, from Albuquerque to Kingman, at 85+ MPH. His windscreen did not pop off.

I'm of the belief that the windscreens that come off while being trailered were at risk anyway. Checking the tightness of those screws should be a periodic maintenance item. They DO loosen over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely a tow vehicle dependant effect.

Towing behind our 4Runner, it was clear the windscreens would buffet terribly above 70 mph.

Side wind was a factor too.

Have not seen this type of buffeting while riding.

Is that two straps, or one strap looped through?

Two would be more secure. Separate strap on each side. Wheel chock looks nice and secure.

That is 2 straps. One on each side going up inside to hook to the forks above the triple tree. The outside strap is just looped on the handlebars to keep it from dragging the ground.

That is 2 straps. One on each side going up inside to hook to the forks above the triple tree. The outside strap is just looped on the handlebars to keep it from dragging the ground.
You must not like your paint. Tie it up below, as wind will start bouncing the strap off the fairing. Here is how I strap mine down on the Kendon.

DSCN3017_zps3d524e4f.jpg

Rearstrapdown_zps4ab8d574.jpg

Not in the picture, but I've added U bolts to the trailer frame in front, to keep those straps in place.

You must not like your paint. Tie it up below, as wind will start bouncing the strap off the fairing. Here is how I strap mine down on the Kendon.

Not in the picture, but I've added U bolts to the trailer frame in front, to keep those straps in place.
+1 ^. I noticed that too. Also one twist in each strap will help with wind flutter.

Just a note about those hooks.....I had a problem in the past with them coming loose on the road so I added these at the connection with the trailer. Take a few extra minutes but it is worth it to keep the strap from coming loose and beating your bike up (ask me how I know).

154f200f-424a-4515-905f-6c89388156c5100100QO.jpg

And don't load it this way.....

OMG....makes me cringe when I see it

I am wanting to do some long trips this summer. My wife rides also. She loves the scenic stuff but doesn't really enjoy 500+ mile days just getting somewhere. When you live in Florida you have to spend at least a day on the interstate or you never get anywhere before all the sudden your vacation time is over.

So we have a cargo trailer we are converting into a camper/bike hauler.

My question-

I have condor wheel chocks that are great. They hold the bike very secure. Now the way the D rings are installed I have to run the tie downs out wide. About a 45 degree angle. That's fine on the naked cruisers. On the FJR if you cinch a soft tie to the triple clamp you can not go out very wide to a tie off. The strap starts hitting the fairing.

Should I :

1. Install extra recessed D Rings closer to the wheel chocks? This would decrease the angle of the tie off.

2. Find a different place to tie off in the front? Is there an alternative tie off spot? I have heard mixed recommendations on canyon dancers.

I am trying to keep my trailer somewhat "universal" so I can put any combination of bikes in there.

If you strap to the rear wheel and there is ANY movement fore/aft the wheel will begin to saw thru the strap. I only use 3 tie downs,soft ties on the fork lowers and 1 on the reat rim pulling straight back, but now I run the rear strap thru a leather glove.

Latest posts