Tranny (shifter) bokerforked (Found: star cam broke off the shift drum!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walt, my breakfast eating friend...you are 6 hours away (one way) from a perfectly perfect 2004 bottom end and transmission with only 46k on the clock. All it's gonna cost you is your time and gas money.

Do me a favor and come get this lump out of my garage. I'll even buy you a burger and beer for your trouble!

'Howie (sad in Winter Haven for your troubles)

ps: Fix the head and you'll have a perfectly good '04 mill for your '03....or swap 'em over. I believe a head swap would be MUCH simpler than a case split and tranny repair!

Walt, my breakfast eating friend...you are 6 hours away (one way) from a perfectly perfect 2004 bottom end and transmission with only 46k on the clock. All it's gonna cost you is your time and gas money.
Do me a favor and come get this lump out of my garage. I'll even buy you a burger and beer for your trouble!

ps: Fix the head and you'll have a perfectly good '04 mill for your '03....or swap 'em over. I believe a head swap would be MUCH simpler than a case split and tranny repair!
Now that's a deal!

"Such a deal!"

2160-16142.gif

You tempt me. Hmmmm. Gotta see when I could squeeze it in. I was just in Orlando last week. I couldn't-a brought the motor home then unless I installed it at the time, since I Feejed down there. I'll be in touch. Probably.

OK. Looking to examine the shift shaft, hoping maybe something's just wrong with the ratchet or star cam. Can't get the clutch basket out because I don't have the right size socket, so what is that, 30mm?? I have a 27 which is way too small, and a 32 which is too big, but not WAY too big.

And..... do I really have to remove the rear balancer as stated in the shop manual? Can I pull the basket out as long as nothing rotates to un-time the balancer?

If need be, I can pick up the LUMP at Howie's house and take it to Wfooshee's house.... Probably! :p

I'll accept the burger and the beer. I'll do anything for a beer. But, it better be ice cold! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I have a problem going to get it if I need to. I'd like to know first that I'll need it, though!

Somebody answer my questions! :p

What size is that nut on the clutch basket, so I don't have to make 3 trips to Sears, and does the rear balancer actually have to come out, which means getting the throttle bodies off, lots of extra work.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Looking to examine the shift shaft, hoping maybe something's just wrong with the ratchet or star cam. Can't get the clutch basket out because I don't have the right size socket, so what is that, 30mm?? I have a 27 which is way too small, and a 32 which is too big, but not WAY too big.
And..... do I really have to remove the rear balancer as stated in the shop manual? Can I pull the basket out as long as nothing rotates to un-time the balancer?
Pretty sure it's a 30mm IIRC. No, leave the rear balancer alone, but you'll have to put the motor on TDC #1 (& 4) before reinstalling the basket. The balancer is going to rotate a little when you pull the basket, but take note of the dot on the side of the balancer gear. It should be weighted to show while the engine is upright, and you can see how it's supposed to be reinstalled in the rear balancer section of the service manual. No need to remove it.

I think Ionbeam found two dots on his Gen I rear balancer, not to further complicate the procedure.

So ya wanna see something you've not seen before??????

Ya think I can epoxy that back on there????? :cautious:

I'd be curious about what happened in there to make THAT possible!!!!

I can turn the shift drum a little bit with some channel-lock pliers, but I'm not trying to actually find a gear. It might be nice to find neutral, but not really worried about it right now.

(If you're wondering where the washer is that goes behind the star wheel, I'd already had this apart. I put enough stuff back in to make this demo vid. It did NOT go down into the crankcase!)
51973942235_46131c87ec_c.jpg

Oh, yeah!!!! While at Sears I got a new air impact wrench. I stupidly left mine outside one night, and it runs..... poorly now. It won't remove lug nuts, even. So they had one normally 49.99, marked down a whole 3 bucks to 46.99. Well, I'd said if I found one on sale under 50 bucks I'd get it. I hardly ever use it, but when you need it, you NEED it! It rang up at the register at 24.99. DEAL!!!! 😎

Last edited:
So ya wanna see something you've not seen before??????

Ya think I can epoxy that back on there?????
lol.gif

I'd be curious about what happened in there to make THAT possible!!!!

I can turn the shift drum a little bit with some channel-lock pliers, but I'm not trying to actually find a gear. It might be nice to find neutral, but not really worried about it right now.

(If you're wondering where the washer is that goes behind the star wheel, I'd already had this apart. I put enough stuff back in to make this demo vid. It did NOT go down into the crankcase!
smile.png
)

Oh, yeah!!!! While at Sears I got a new air impact wrench. I stupidly left mine outside one night, and it runs..... poorly now. It won't remove lug nuts, even. So they had one normally 49.99, marked down a whole 3 bucks to 46.99. Well, I'd said if I found one on sale under 50 bucks I'd get it. I hardly ever use it, but when you need it, you NEED it! It rang up at the register at 24.99. DEAL!!!!
smile.png
I was totally not expecting that. I think I've seen it all now.

Hmmm. Anybody know anything about good quality epoxys? This is of course if you can put it back in exactly the same clock position as it came off. Or maybe you can drill and tap the center of the shift barrel while it's still in the motor, drill a countersunk slightly oversized hole in the piece that broke off with the tits, and install a flathead screw with some loctite to hold it together. Screw size would be based on what size the hole is in the center of the shift barrel. Of course this is also predicated on your ability to get the correct clock position of that broken part.

Just trying to think of ways for you to not have to pull the motor. Or you can go pick up Howie's "lump".

Good luck!

Yeah, that's what I want to do. Drill hard steel and have the bits fall down into the crankcase, and then hope I can rig the drill exactly coaxial with the shaft. :)

The epoxy question was not remotely serious. Besides, there has to be something that happened in there that made the star cam move without the shift drum.......

Ummmm..... You Sir, have waaaay bigger Cojones than I do to get into shit like that. Me?! I'd go ahead and buy a new FJR. But, that's just me! Good Luck and may the Force be with You! :)