Triple clamp from Heli

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so having the heli clamp makes the bike more comfortable to ride. But does it take away from the sport side of the biket? I would think once you're sitting more upright and back, it would be harder to start getting aggressive with it.
The amount of setback that the risers give can be easily offset by bending your elbows a little more. You DO have to remember to do it, though. (Which I find it all too easy to do. I'll be starting into a curve and feel a little unstable, think "Oh, yeah..." and bend my elbow a little more. Brings that "corning on rails" feeling right back!)

I use the other brand of triple tree, which is also a quality product, priced similarly, and brings the bars back a little farther. 1 1/2" up and 1 1/2" back, IIRC.

Installed mine today. It is easy to see why it makes such a big difference after comparing the 2 side by side. I had 2 very short rides just to get a quick idea of how it feels and so far I like the difference. I am taking about a 4 1/2 hour ride tomorrow, that will be the true test.

Pros - High quality, very solid, perfect fit, definately don't have to reach as far forward.

Cons - Expensive.

I also found when I went to install it, the previous owner had either already installed one previous or put a new ignition on(probably the latter). I hope it was the previous owner because if a dealer did this kind of work I find it frightening and I would have had someones a#%. He butchered the ignition mounting on the factory piece so bad that he reinstalled it by JB welding the ignition back on. What a hack!

As I am waiting for parts to arrive for my recall, I am glad I found it now, rather then when they tried to install the new ignition assembly. They would not have been able to mount the ignition back on the bike and I would have had to order a new factory riser. As I am taking it to a dealer 2 hours away, with no other way home, that would have been a real problem. So the expense of the Heli bar was offset by the fact that I would have had to buy a new one anyway!

2006 FJR1300A

About 5 hours on the bike and no so sore shoulders, wrists or elbows. I like it alot. Heli gets my vote.

Last edited by a moderator: