Trooper modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the Trooper Mod Sunday night. At first I just did the hole saw part and then tried it out. It was barely louder, not really noticeable. Then I got out the dremel and finished the job. Man what a difference! It sounds much better than stock! I rode it to work this morning, and I enjoyed being able to hear it when I passed someone or when I went through a tunnel.
I'm still only on Stage-1. I can hear the diff but it is not a big difference. More so on idle I guess, a few other FJR riders heard my STG-1 mod at the last ride I was at and they knew right away it wasn't stock (smart old geasers!) :lol:

Since my bike is still under factory warranty (bit gun-shy) ...but I'm a-lik'n that fact that your lik'n yours MrBreeze! :D

Now i'm guessing that most o uz guys saw the movie "The Jerk"? Smell what i'm stepping in here?

Trooper Mod.....Oppty Grab? Bwaahaaha! :huh:

Actualy sounds damn sound! May be part of my FJR winter overhaul. I followed all the posts looking for video ( GoPro )

style on the road at revs...I may post mine here if i do the mod prior to wintering!

Very, very cool old school style mod! Can't find one, make one!

I just did this mod on my 2005 today.

Here is my sound clip

It sounds a lot better in person. I recorded it with my cell phone.

No...Now start saving for some Two Brother's pipes. About the time you get tired of the Trooper pipes, you'll have the cash for the TB upgrade. Lol
+1 Did the Trooper mod with Gaurald cones on the 08 and loved it. Ponied up for the Two Brothers black Series CF slip-on's for the 14 and the sound is awesome. Not obnoxious at all at idle or cruising. Just a really deep sound. But when you open her up it really snarls! Expensive? Yes. But I plan on keeping this one for a while.

gonna stick with the Stage 1 trooper mod...to many towns around here have dmn sound checks now

try some Beowulf cans, they are relatively inexpensive, do not need repacking and sound really good. Can run with or without

the inserts. I run mine with the inserts as I sorta like the stealth mode BUT like the growl when you go WFO.

I’d never even heard of the “trooper mod” until I bought my ’05 a few months ago and unfortunately, my bike came already modified. Not a fan to say the least so the first thing I did was get a nice clean set of Gen2 mufflers from another member here (perfect fit). I leave early for work each morning and I don’t need to be making any more noise than necessary. Yes, the rumble is modest but its seems loud when a cold start has the engine immediately sitting at 2000 rpms and there’s nothing you can do about that except crash into first gear and quickly drive away. Anyway, I’ll cut them loose to anyone for the cost of shipping because otherwise I’m going to toss them in the recycle bin or cut one in half length-wise just to see the internals.

Regards,

Mr. BR

San Jose, CA