Trooper modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember if the burble and pop are too much for you adding the very attractive Garauld tailcones will smooth it out nicely.

...and they look great.

Question, Does the decel popping occur more on Gen II bikes or Gen I...i ask only due to the theory of an extra cat on Gen II's mufflers...but i come from the 2-stroke compression release era...popping?...we don hear no steenking popping....

Bobby
Urban legend. There is no second catalytic converter in the pipes of Gen IIs. Where do peeps come up with this stuff?

I'm surprised at how many don't like the mod. Personally, I am not a big fan of the sound in stock configuration.
I donno either. I just responded to another post about thy mystical 3rd and 4th cats in the GenII cans. I think people run out of stuff to bitch about, so they make stuff up. Besides, if it's on the internet, it has to be true.

As far as the sound, I know people have different preferences, but you can't hear this mod after about 20mph. On the road, it is basically invisible. Maybe during hard acceleration and low speed stuff, but other than that, how does one hear it? Especially with plugs in the ears??

Question, Does the decel popping occur more on Gen II bikes or Gen I...i ask only due to the theory of an extra cat on Gen II's mufflers...but i come from the 2-stroke compression release era...popping?...we don hear no steenking popping....

Bobby
Urban legend. There is no second catalytic converter in the pipes of Gen IIs. Where do peeps come up with this stuff?

I'm surprised at how many don't like the mod. Personally, I am not a big fan of the sound in stock configuration.
I donno either. I just responded to another post about thy mystical 3rd and 4th cats in the GenII cans. I think people run out of stuff to bitch about, so they make stuff up. Besides, if it's on the internet, it has to be true.

As far as the sound, I know people have different preferences, but you can't hear this mod after about 20mph. On the road, it is basically invisible. Maybe during hard acceleration and low speed stuff, but other than that, how does one hear it? Especially with plugs in the ears??

Old whiny kunts have selective hearing

Got the trooper mod today. Sounds great!

Took it on a short ride to "blow the chunks out". On the way up the hill towards home wife heard the new sound. She does not understand why I made the bike noisier... Oh well... It's a boy thing!
My wife is the opposite. She said that we need to put a new exhaust on the Feej so that it made more noise. God I love that woman.

Did stage 1 and she shifts smoother now ...prolly 'cause I can actually hear her now.
I don't want ear wax removers but just a little throaty-low note would be sweet, sounds like the easy to do stage-1 trooper mod may be what I want.

1> Any repercussion with my bike still being in factory warranty?

2> This mod has been now out over a year, any final mileage analysis?

3> The ones who did the mod... still on the band wagon?

I did it back then, and I've always liked it. No regrets at all. Can't speak to no. 1, but my mileage is as good as it's ever been.

It's not that it's that much louder, and even then most noticeable at idle, but just a different note, and I think just a bit nastier. In a good way. ;)

Some people don't like the boat motor sound at idle...and I get that, understand that.

But I like the pleasing sound I hear as the revs run up as, say I am passing a string of cars on a closed course, or passing a parade of John Deere tractors on a twisty road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I will do the hole cut (stage 1) tonight when I get home and test drive. I can always dremel cut like you guys did if I want more. I just don't want a bunch of backfiring as I downshift.

I did it back then, and I've always liked it. No regrets at all. Can't speak to no. 1, but my mileage is as good as it's ever been.

It's not that it's that much louder, and even then most noticeable at idle, but just a different note, and I think just a bit nastier. In a good way. ;)
Pretty sure the factory would frown and refuse any warranty work as I think it states somewhere in the manual this kind of playing with stuff ain't allowed.

Mileage isn't anything I pay attention to but the difference is negligible I bet, and, Yep still on the wagon... Well exhaust that is. I'm drunk too much to notice if I fell off the otherone. :blink:

Pretty sure the factory would frown and refuse any warranty work as I think it states somewhere in the manual this kind of playing with stuff ain't allowed.

Mileage isn't anything I pay attention to but the difference is negligible.
Thanks Busta, (thinking hmmm.. yes for once!) i really don't believe my dealers tech guys would even know if the bike is modded (to stage-1) come to think about it. Can't see it unless you get down with a flashlight and know what to look for. Stage-1 is pretty much stealth. Now if I dremel cut, different story. On tech hearing difference in sound, maybe but they also hear so many bikes and not a lot of Feejers so I can say this may pass as well.

Yep still on the wagon... Well exhaust that is. I'm drunk too much to notice if I fell off the otherone. :blink:
u definitely are one funny mofoheeky :)

So I did my stage 1 cuts last night. I really Like the more throaty sound!, could use a bit more!. My hole saw is deep enough actually to cut into the next baffle (I'm waffling on this baffling tho). Any thoughts of hole sawing into the #2 baffle walls??

So I did my stage 1 cuts last night. I really Like the more throaty sound!, could use a bit more!. My hole saw is deep enough actually to cut into the next baffle (I'm waffling on this baffling tho). Any thoughts of hole sawing into the #2 baffle walls??
I took mine to stage 2 (with gen 1 cans) and removed the cats. It has a nice rumble!

Bobby
Now THERE is something I wasn't familiar with....

I know about compression release on big thumpers, but on a 2-sroke? I missed that one. How do you do a compression release on a motor with no valves?
Still thinking about cutting in....and RH, we had BIG 2-strokes with dual plug heads( Yamaha YZ490 Kawi KH500 and Husqvarna 400 )...instead of the extra plug, one screwed in a compression release and ran a little lever to up next to the throttle...looked like a mini clutch cable....worked great and drove parents nuts during summer....the smell of bel-ray wafting up thru my Bell Moto1...misting up my Scott goggles...More Noise !!! Yeah !

Bobby
Now THERE is something I wasn't familiar with....

I know about compression release on big thumpers, but on a 2-sroke? I missed that one. How do you do a compression release on a motor with no valves?
Still thinking about cutting in....and RH, we had BIG 2-strokes with dual plug heads( Yamaha YZ490 Kawi KH500 and Husqvarna 400 )...instead of the extra plug, one screwed in a compression release and ran a little lever to up next to the throttle...looked like a mini clutch cable....worked great and drove parents nuts during summer....the smell of bel-ray wafting up thru my Bell Moto1...misting up my Scott goggles...More Noise !!! Yeah !
Thank you Bobby for straightening out RadioHowie, what RH knows about two strokes could be put into a fecking thimble; then Bustanut joker could use that same thimble as a cock guard.

Since you were running "hot" two strokes I'm aware you know track racers would also use the compression release for braking heading into tight corners at motocross or Enduros. Like you, I am still a huge fan of the "smokers"!

Did stage 1 and she shifts smoother now ...prolly 'cause I can actually hear her now.
I don't want ear wax removers but just a little throaty-low note would be sweet, sounds like the easy to do stage-1 trooper mod may be what I want.

Q1) most definitely will void (Fook that anyway) If you have serious enough warranty issues you can always buy another set on ebay.

Q2) Only when right wrist is fully engaged when passing pirates.

Q3) OOOOOOH YEAH!!!!!!

I pulled the original exhaust and put them carefully away if I decide to put them back on. It does sound like a 250 horse MERC when at Idle. I love the sound in the High RPM range also. Just enough but not to much. I did try and cut out as much as I could when doing the Mod. For now they are staying on.

Dave

I did the Trooper Mod Sunday night. At first I just did the hole saw part and then tried it out. It was barely louder, not really noticeable. Then I got out the dremel and finished the job. Man what a difference! It sounds much better than stock! I rode it to work this morning, and I enjoyed being able to hear it when I passed someone or when I went through a tunnel.