Trooper modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a convert.

In fact I liked the end result so much I decided to create a video and my experience with the trooper mod over on my site.

Check out my trooper mod video and how to at RiderGroups.com

Thanks guys for this thread, I have had my FJR for a few months now and have been looking for something like this since I got the bike. I am really diggin the new sound!

Kevin

www.RiderGroups.com

I'm a convert.

In fact I liked the end result so much I decided to create a video and my experience with the trooper mod over on my site.

Check out my trooper mod video and how to at RiderGroups.com

Thanks guys for this thread, I have had my FJR for a few months now and have been looking for something like this since I got the bike. I am really diggin the new sound!

Kevin

www.RiderGroups.com
I'll vouch for that. Well worth the look-see for anyone considering the mod.

Soooo-Iff I did the TM and didn't like it or wanted to ride without it....Would it be possible to find a piece of tubing the same dimension as the hole saw and slip a short length in to undo the TM?

Soooo-Iff I did the TM and didn't like it or wanted to ride without it....Would it be possible to find a piece of tubing the same dimension as the hole saw and slip a short length in to undo the TM?
You'd probably be better off just buying a new set of OEM mufflers here or off eBay. I think "undoing" it would be a major pain. Either that, or put on a set of Gerauld's tail-cones. They quiet it down some.

I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed though.

Damn my hide-thet thar would be about page 12..Well-Christ on a crutch-guess I'll do 'er after all. And meebee when the weather improves I'll ride on down 88 to Binghamton and pick up a pair of your cones..

Damn my hide-thet thar would be about page 12..Well-Christ on a crutch-guess I'll do 'er after all. And meebee when the weather improves I'll ride on down 88 to Binghamton and pick up a pair of your cones..
Start with just the hole saw and just cut through the weld and see how you like it. Going the full Monty and removing the pipe buy cutting with the dremel bit is not really required IMO. If you have any reservations, do not do it. It only adds noise, good sounding noise IMO (as in my case), but still noise, so if you like bone quiet, leave it alone. It boggles my mind why people would do this mod in the first place and then say they didn't like it. What were they hoping for? Rant over. :p

Start with just the hole saw and just cut through the weld and see how you like it. Going the full Monty and removing the pipe buy cutting with the dremel bit is not really required IMO. Rant over. :p
+1... I just did the stage one TM on my bike a week ago (CLICKY).

I did not cut off the pipes with a dremmel (yet). If me keep a smile for awhile, then me LIKELY to likey enough to leave it as is.

In the picture below, you can see inside the can where I cut the pipe loose from the rear "wall" of the inner muffler chamber with a 1-1/2 in hole saw. I set the focus so the actual area I cut is in clear focus, but the chrome end cap is not. The gap is a little less than an 1/8 inch all the way around. One interesting side note, the pipe is still pretty solid and nothing rattles or moves around. There is no popping on decel that I can detect, but it does have a nice raspy sound when decelerating.

IMG_0235.jpg

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
something that I can go back and forth at will
Yup - I believe so - it would look somthing like this:

flange.jpg

Keep in mind, you will need something to keep the tube in place...
I want her cake and to eat it too...Some quick measurments make me think the chrome"tailpiece" under your kitchen sink which goes from the sink to the trap would slip right in where the hole saw cut thru and undo the TM for a quiet ride..[like when she is outback]..As Gerauld pointed out a flange of some sort is needed and the tailpiece has one.

Those cones are the finishing touch that makes this mod extra special, you will not be disappointed.

I'm a convert.

Check out my trooper mod video and how to at RiderGroups.comwww.RiderGroups.com
Kevin, that's the best video demonstrating the difference I've seen, good work.

Start with just the hole saw and just cut through the weld and see how you like it. Going the full Monty and removing the pipe buy cutting with the dremel bit is not really required IMO. Rant over. :p
+1... I just did the stage one TM on my bike a week ago (CLICKY).

I did not cut off the pipes with a dremmel (yet). If me keep a smile for awhile, then me LIKELY to likey enough to leave it as is.

Gary

darksider #44
Then there's always the stage point-five to consider: get a long drill of a small enough diameter and drill holes starting at, say, 90* apart in the baffle plate. This way you can increase the sound level a little at a time until you find the level you like. I would think a little touch off with a hole saw just to make a flat surface to drill would be helpful.

If anyone feels the need to undo the TM pick up a 1 1/2" x 4" tailpiece. If you're not familiar with it, it is a chromed pipe with a flare on one end used to connect the kitchen sink drain to the trap. The tailpiece is a tight fit into the hole you drilled with the hole saw, if you can't push it in by hand a few taps with a rubber mallet will push it in. Shorten it if you want, push the flare against the end of the muffler,or leave it sticking out some, or buy a 10 incher if you want the zoomie look. In any case the sound will return to stock and you can pull it out for the TM sound..

Thanks to all that have posted on this! I did mine today. Not a big deal at all. Sounds good in the garage and I can't wait to get my wheels back on and run it down the road. The wheels are off for new tires...not the Trooper mod.

...The wheels are off for new tires...not the Trooper mod.
Glad you clarified that. Some of us might have wondered... :D
Quite right Mark... Howie takes his wheels off to air up the tires.
Just like you take off your pants just to get your teeth cleaned. You old guys are weird!
That's just because you don't go to the same Dentist that Bust, Wheatie, Howie and Chuy go to; ya Dork!

...The wheels are off for new tires...not the Trooper mod.
Glad you clarified that. Some of us might have wondered... :D
Quite right Mark... Howie takes his wheels off to air up the tires.
Just like you take off your pants just to get your teeth cleaned. You old guys are weird!
That's just because you don't go to the same Dentist that Bust, Wheatie, Howie and Chuy go to; ya Dork!

So right Don!! lil' AJ would cry like a girl and press charges if that ever happened to him. :lol: