Trooper modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And....the "Goon Squad" wrecks yet ANOTHER thread! :p
Umm, don't ya mean Moon Squad??

Like you have room to talk pickledik..

Howie2.png

Well I did 700 miles in the last two days and I do not like the sound. I am putting (my extra set) stock pipes back on...

It was a good idea but not my cup of tea...

Well I did 700 miles in the last two days and I do not like the sound. I am putting (my extra set) stock pipes back on...

What do you have planned for the modded cans?

I have spent most of this evening reading this thread, and I'm a bit shy to cut mine just yet

Chuck I had the same thought but Bockelrider has an 05 and it looks like you may have one of the 08's. I think the cans won't fit. Rob

I guess I could have looked at the profile info LOL

I'm really torn on this one...this mornings ride could have used a throaty rumble.

I guess I'll get the hole saw in case I have a sudden urge.

Chuck I had the same thought but Bockelrider has an 05 and it looks like you may have one of the 08's. I think the cans won't fit. Rob
Gen I and Gen II cans are interchangeable.
Yup....The cans are the same. The '05s will fit the '08.

Now look what you made me do. I had to agree with Howie. That's the lat thing Bust did before his balls fell off. Shit!!

Now look what you made me do. I had to agree with Howie. That's the lat thing Bust did before his balls fell off. Shit!!

Sorry about that, It must have been quite painful lol

Great info, that adds a few options.

I posted over in the Georgia section asking if anyone close to me had done this, maybe a kind soul will allow me to hear their bike roar ;)

They are interchangeable but from what I have read they are different. Gen II have an extra catalytic converter in the muffler. Then again not everything you read on the interweb is always true. I am not cutting mine in half to find out. That being said I did this mod several weeks ago. So far I am liking it. I bought a set of Gen I exhaust some time last year. So I swapped out my stock exhaust and did the mod on the Gen I cans. So not only does it sound better but I have the superior Gen I exhaust to boot. It only take 15 to 20 Min's depending on how many cold beers are left in the fridge. When I do long trips the stockers will most likely go back on for the interim.

Harley's Fear me now ! :ph34r:

Dave

Not too worry thimble dik.. I found one of yer balls.

100_1165.jpg

However having only one is gonna make you off balance an walk in circles.

Here's something interesting. After doing the trooper mod (stage one only) on my stock cans, I decided to go ahead and buy a set of Staintunes from Skooter G. When I first took the Stage one Trooper modded stockers off and replaced them with the Staintunes, I noticed that the sound was VERY similar. This was with the baffles in. Taking the baffles out, however, netted quite a difference. They've really got some snarl now. Anyway, here's the deal: I have never noted any popping on decel. Not with the stockers, nor with the Staintunes... even with the baffles out.

What's up with that?

Gary

darksider #44

Old people..especially those Bluehairs in Floordida, don't know when they fart, just blame the smell on the dog. :eek:

I suspect you may have the same problem Gary.

Last edited by a moderator:

I did the mod on mine a while back. Sounded like a harley popping on decel, unfortunately. I did remove the air injection and installed the blockoff plates prior to the mod.

I was lucky enough to have some pipe laying around with the just the right inside diameter, and cut two 6 inch pieces to put back in the holes to seal it back up. The new pipes fit snug around the inner pipe inside the muffler. Spot welded the inner pipe to the new pipe, and I'm back to stock again.

I did like the sound on accel though. Just didn't like the decel pop. :(

Oh, and Bustanut Joker, I haven't forgot I still owe you a beer (for the 12v marine socket), if you ever travel down this way. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I did the mod on mine a while back. Sounded like a harley popping on decel, unfortunately. I did remove the air injection and installed the blockoff plates prior to the mod.

I was lucky enough to have some pipe laying around with the just the right inside diameter, and cut two 6 inch pieces to put back in the holes to seal it back up. The new pipes fit snug around the inner pipe inside the muffler. Spot welded the inner pipe to the new pipe, and I'm back to stock again.

Kids!!! Don't U realize popping on decel makes yer shit faster??Just like chrome tappet covers, Mag Wheels, and a hood scoop?

Technology is making idiots outa the lot of ya's

Kids!!! Don't U realize popping on decel makes yer shit faster??Just like chrome tappet covers, Mag Wheels, and a hood scoop?

Technology is making idiots outa the lot of ya's
Hmmmm.... I did have a car with chrome covers and mag wheels , but no scoop. And it was fast.

Maybe I should cut the pipes back out!!

Question, Does the decel popping occur more on Gen II bikes or Gen I...i ask only due to the theory of an extra cat on Gen II's mufflers...but i come from the 2-stroke compression release era...popping?...we don hear no steenking popping....

Bobby

Question, Does the decel popping occur more on Gen II bikes or Gen I...i ask only due to the theory of an extra cat on Gen II's mufflers...but i come from the 2-stroke compression release era...popping?...we don hear no steenking popping....

Bobby
Now THERE is something I wasn't familiar with....

I know about compression release on big thumpers, but on a 2-sroke? I missed that one. How do you do a compression release on a motor with no valves?

Bobby
Urban legend. There is no second catalytic converter in the pipes of Gen IIs. Where do peeps come up with this stuff?

I'm surprised at how many don't like the mod. Personally, I am not a big fan of the sound in stock configuration.