Trooper modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody do it yet? Takes bout an hour to love it!
I had my Dremel out today doing some work around the muffler on my KLR. I really thought about taking a cutting wheel to the insides of those pipes, but I'm eskeered. I do NOT want to take a hole cutter to the outside of my pipe. I'm way to prone to have the hole off center, or not look right. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of deburring it and trying to make it look not half-assed.

However, I really thought of cutting that pipe...BUT, can you post a sound byte? If I cut those badboys and don't like it, there's no going back.

I totally understand. The holesaw will stay centered around the pipe it won't look bad at all. Sorry, I dont know how to post sound bites so it is kinda a leap of faith. I really like it though. And I know that you might not like what I like so I understand...from the words of Ben stiller on starsky and hutch, just do it... do it...do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hole-saw fits perfectly in the pipe a little dress up with the cut-off wheel and...done no half-add job. Even if I did the sound bytes, you really can't hear how good it is when it is on websites anyhow. Don't be eskeerd. Uncle trooper wouldn't lie or steer you wrong...

Anybody do it yet? Takes bout an hour to love it!
I had my Dremel out today doing some work around the muffler on my KLR. I really thought about taking a cutting wheel to the insides of those pipes, but I'm eskeered. I do NOT want to take a hole cutter to the outside of my pipe. I'm way to prone to have the hole off center, or not look right. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of deburring it and trying to make it look not half-assed.

However, I really thought of cutting that pipe...BUT, can you post a sound byte? If I cut those badboys and don't like it, there's no going back.

Hold on dillo boy.. I have an extra left side muffler and the stockers can be bought cheap. ;)

I've got the holesaw work done and will start with the cut off wheel when I return from Home Depot with more wheels.

You going to be around today? I'll give you a call and let ya listen..

I'm like HRZ. I'd like to try this but don't want to ruin my exhaust if I don't like. Bustanut, if you or anyone else, can post an after sound clip, it would be greatly appreciated by many I'm sure.

Well I went ahead and did this without doing a baseline sound clip, so actual side by side comparison isn't going to happen.

I will say the sound is noticeably louder and "crisp". Rather like my buddys Gixer 1000 with Leo Vince carbon fiber muffs.

Not as mellow as staintunes :) Might be too loud for most that I know, but not excessively "Open pipe Hardly" sounding...

Going to try and do the spare left with the holesaw and leave in the pipe It's going to eventually rattle but hell they are cheap enough :lol:

Soon as somebody gets here I'll post up a sound clip.

Well I went ahead and did this without doing a baseline sound clip, so actual side by side comparison isn't going to happen.

I will say the sound is noticeably louder and "crisp". Rather like my buddys Gixer 1000 with Leo Vince carbon fiber muffs.

Not as mellow as staintunes :) Might be too loud for most that I know, but not excessively "Open pipe Hardly" sounding...

Going to try and do the spare left with the holesaw and leave in the pipe It's going to eventually rattle but hell they are cheap enough :lol:

Now you did it. You're going to have to ride in the back now with the rest of the loud Hardleys. :headbonk:

And I always considered you to level headed to do this kinda kid krap!

Flat headed is more like it! :lol: I haven't posted up a sound clip as I don't think it will really make a difference as there isn't a stock clip to compare it to. Zilla called the other night and he heard it, not sure what he's going to do at this point. I think I was drunk.... :dribble:

I took it out yesterday and road around for awhile. The few that noticed or had anything to say said it sounded nice. My buddy with the gixxer said it was about time I opened up that damned sewing machine.

At this point I think I'm just going to leave it on. Hard to tell if it made any difference performance wise? Unlikley.. But as soon as the weather gets nicer I'll be able to do a mileage check. I can't imagine that is going to change much either..

Anyway I'm saying if you want a bit more bark and don't want to spend any real money this might be the way to go.. A few weeks from now the invasion will take place and I'm sure those that show up will post comments ;)

Well you pushed me over the edge. A friend is going to put V&H on his bike so I'll see if he wants to sell them. If not, I'll stay stock until I here the mod live. The sound system on my pc sucketh.

So curiosity got the best of me; did the mod and I like the sound, and coupled with the airbox mod my hands almost pulling off the grips indicates a little more mid-range torque, totally unscientific of course, but if you lean more towards the sport side of sport touring, you'll probably like this exhaust mod.

Thanks again Trooper for posting up the procedure:)

Yes, please someone post a sound byte!! We all know how the stocker sounds!! If you want an on-line version,

posted this some time ago. It isn't very long, but gives you an idea of what it sounds like on your computer. We are still vacationing in sunny Florida, but will be getting back to the cold midwest on Monday, and I'll have a hard time not stopping at Ace on the way home to pick up that 1 1/2" hole saw :lol:
Oops, just found another on-line clip that is a little longer. The sound clip of the original exhaust starts at about 1:22 into the video.

Well, I'm sorry to say I don't have a sound byte yet, but it sounds frigging good. I finally bit the bullet this afternoon and spent $20 and cut my pipes up.

I was pretty worried about how it would look because I thought the hole saw was going to cut the outer back plate. Turns out I'm an idiot. I talked to Bust about it and he assured me it sounded good. I can't believe I actually listened to him, and Mizz Bust warned me not to, but oh well...

As soon as I put the hole saw inside the hole and realized it was going to cut the last baffle plate inside the muffler, my worries went out the window. I did not take the pipes off the bike. When I was done, I used my ShopVac and a telescoping magnet to pull out as much of the shavings as I could. Turns out there was about one small handfull in each pipe.

With the Dremel, I used the reinforced cutting disks as recommended by Bust. Problem is, they are too big to fit into the pipe. So...I ground them down a bit on a cinderblock and once they fit I went to cutting. I only took out about 1.5 inches of pipe, and once the cutter burned through the first bit of pipe, I just followed it in a circle around the pipe. It took 4 disks and they come in packs of 5, so that was perfect.

All said and done, Dremel reinforced cutting disks and a 1.5 inch hole saw from Home Depot cost me $20.00. Now she sounds really decent. About like a set of Muzzy's or HoleShots. At idle and up to about 30mph the difference is obvious, but at freeway speeds, I couldn't hear the pipes. I didn't feel any difference, so my butt dyno says there was no change...And I didn't honestly expect one. I just like the sound. Now I don't have to go out and buy an $800 set of TwoBrother's pipes just to make the bike sound better.

I'll see if I can post up a sound byte later. I'll take a video with my phone and download it. Honestly, it was a well spent $20. Haha...

I did mine the exact way you described hotrod, right down to the 4 reinforced discs, magnet and vacuum, works like a charm
wink.gif

Well I'm definitely talked into it. One question that I don't think I saw answeredin this thread: How deep are you guys drilling in and cutting? If I'm not mistaken you can buy those hole saw bits in different depths.

Ok...As to the last question, I just cut past the first baffle and then stopped. I don't think the hole saw I had had the depth to go to another baffle. Then I cut the inside pipe about 1/4 inch behind that cut baffle. I used the end of the Dremel as a depth guide and the pieces of pipe I pulled out were about an inch and one-half. I bet a little more or less won't make much different.

Anyway...I went out to the garage with my Droid phone and took a video. Of course, it always sounds different in real life, but you can tell it's not a stock FJR pipe. When I rev it past about 2 or 3k, the difference in sound is neglegible I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr6rQlBt-Pg