Trooper modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about that Trooper,I was so busy selling the mod to these guys I forgot about the inventor.

As with any modifications that have been tried over the years you are going to have skeptics and naysayers.. "It's going to blow up and kill you" "you're going to be sorry", "Yer balls are going to fall off".... It takes only a few risk takers in the group to do it and soon everybody's on board.

Folks as you can see here, everyone who's looking to improve the sound of these things is happy and didn't lighten the wallet enough to notice ;)

Thanks for stepping over the edge and being the first Trooper. It's a damned good fix :clapping:

Turns out I'm an idiot. I talked to Bust about it and he assured me it sounded good. I can't believe I actually listened to him, and Mizz Bust warned me not to, but oh well...

Honestly, it was a well spent $20. Haha...

Yer not an Idgit... A dipshit maybe, but not and idgit. An idgit would have cut off a finger doing this....

Bikergeek might lose a digit maybe even Bluesy, but you'd only nick yer balls an figure it out.

20 bucks? Sorry ya spent yer lunch money man.. Brown bag it this week.

Any way to blow those pic's up?
Use Control+ on your firefox browser, or blowup the picture with your IE browser. You can blow it up as big as you need.

I like this mod...LOW $$$. I just don't have the dremel tools or the hole saw.

...and hey if 'Zilla can do it, maybe I've got a shot a doing this mod without screwing it up.

I can send you everything you'd need to do it Mark.. But it'd probably cost more.

Oh wait, a good dremel is $50 anymore. I bet I could pack it all in a $6 USPS priority box, so maybe 12 bucks shipping both ways.

Seriously, If you want to do it I'll lend ya the stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem, not trying to b an ass. Actually I learned it from ones in the vfr forum. So I guess I have to pass invention rites to someone over there. I just found it worked on the fjr. You like? I have enjoyed it . Sounds great just where you want it...on take-off. Tha cruising is still not much more than stock. Can hear it coming out of the apex of curves when it on it.... perfect for the money!

Just saw that Garauld is considering doing a run of his tailcones depending on demand. I have a pair of them, and will be removing them to do the Trooper mod next week. The tailcones will cover up any "surgery mistakes", and just might give the Trooper mod a slightly different sound when re-installed. They gave the stock pipes a nice "burble", and hopefully will do the same after the baffle mod. Gary might have another big run on these tailcones :yahoo:

Just saw that Garauld is considering doing a run of his tailcones depending on demand. I have a pair of them, and will be removing them to do the Trooper mod next week. The tailcones will cover up any "surgery mistakes", and just might give the Trooper mod a slightly different sound when re-installed. They gave the stock pipes a nice "burble", and hopefully will do the same after the baffle mod. Gary might have another big run on these tailcones :yahoo:
Make sure you post up a sound bite when you get done with your pipe ectomy. :clapping:

I can send you everything you'd need to do it Mark.. But it'd probably cost more.

Oh wait, a good dremel is $50 anymore. I bet I could pack it all in a $6 USPS priority box, so maybe 12 bucks shipping both ways.

Seriously, If you want to do it I'll lend ya the stuff.

Hey I appreciate that Bust...if/when I do this mod, it might have to wait until after visiting the Kalifornicators.

See, right now my bike is not close to being rideable...(front brake calipers need new seals I think as well)

davidsboltmdisfrontbrakecalipers008.jpg

davidsboltmdisfrontbrakecalipers006.jpg

and I need to get it ready for Moonshine and the Minnesota rides, as shakedown rides for the Kali trip.

When I do get to it, I will check the local area riders to see if they have the stuff or atleast some of the stuff. If not, I may blast up to Michigan if I can bunk at your place and do it under your watchful eye...no that didn't come out right. :eek:

:D

Yikes! :eek: Tough neighborhood man! I can't believe they actually broke in your garage and stole your wheels!

Well at least you can get those brakes fixed while you waiting for replacements!

Hey I'm going to possibly be in your area the first part of April. I'll check with the guy I'm training to drive truck and see if we can swing over your way.

You can come over to my place, but I'm not sure you really want to tarnish your reputation. Plus if you can use a drill you can do this pretty easy..

I mean A.J. did it and that guy can't run a "Personal Massager" :blink:

Do you think this mod would affect gas mileage at all? For me, I like to put on the miles and one of the primary trip costs is gas. If I'm going to be losing gas mileage, I may hold off as this FJR (my second) gets less mileage than my first '04.

So, I think I am going to wait until people confirm that no gas mileage sufferage occurs before committing to this mod...good as it sounds at low rpm. So let me know yer results if you would be so kind...or give some ionbeam type analysis as to why it should not be a problem. :)

BTW, bust...I tried to send you a PM but either your inbox is full, or you've got me blocked. sheeplover.

:D

"Surgery mistakes" is exactly what I was afraid of happening. Once I got started, I realized that all the cutting is on the INSIDE of the pipe.

Anyone who somehow buggers up the outside of the pipe while doing this mod is dumber than Barry looks. That'd be a whole lot of dumb!!

It might be possible to have a mishap if you're doing it with the cans removed; if the hole saw grabs and you don't have it firmly secured, it's going to spin the can but as Trooper noted, a towel wrapped around it would help prevent any issues there. Although it seems just as easy to leave them on, either way will work
wink.gif

As far as gas mileage, no change on mine at all
smile.gif

The shavings also include the ground down disks that get caught the cans. I personally wouldn't want a handful in each can but suit yourself... I guess I just don't want to leave anything foreign in the cans. Don't think magnets will pickup that stuff. It's just so easy to take them off and shake all the sand and shavings out. Polly overkill, but I didn't want anything out of place..

"Surgery mistakes" is exactly what I was afraid of happening. Once I got started, I realized that all the cutting is on the INSIDE of the pipe.

Anyone who somehow buggers up the outside of the pipe while doing this mod is dumber than Barry looks. That'd be a whole lot of dumb!!

Yeah, like you have room to talk....

aj.jpg

Ass chimp

OK, did the Trooper mod this morning, and am VERY pleased! :yahoo: I was afraid that they would be too loud, but that is not the case at all. The procedure was an absolute no brainer. The only thing I might warn against, is to be careful with the hole saw in the pipe. After I got through the first pipe baffle, I kinda wiggled the drill around to make sure I had cut all the way through. Apparently, this also broke about half the teeth off the hole saw, but I still had enough to get through the second pipe baffle! :victory:

I did a video of before and after, and with and without the tailcones installed. Now we have at least a relative comparison of the before and after Trooper mod in the same conditions. I think the tailcones dampen a bit of "flutter" sound that I think is from the exhaust creating turbulance around the small exhaust holes. Hope this works!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9UC35MV_0

Nice job. Your final configuration is my favorite. :thumbsup:

I did not like the raspy sound of the Trooper mod before putting the tail cones in. Was that what you meant by "flutter"?

I doubt if anybody wants to do this, but I thought I would atleast ask:

Anybody want to post a video-audio file -camera on the bike-of an FJR running through the gears?

1) with stock config

2) with Trooper config

3) with Trooper -garauld cone config

Also, anybody gonna put some stock vs Trooper mileage numbers out there?

BTW, my son with the FJ loves the sound on Zilla's Trooper mod and thinks I should do it. :)

Yes, I would liken it to blades of a propeller chopping the air. The tailcones seem to soften it, and I really like the look too! I think Gary is gonna be busy soon :rolleyes:

Latest posts