Trunk, backrest, or bare?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you run for storage/passenger support?

• Nothing

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Trunk/top case

Votes: 59 60.2%
  • Passenger backrest

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Regularly switch back and forth

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters
Dan- your fabrication is most excellent... I have run a Givi E55 with OEM running lights on an SR357 almost continuously since acquiring my 2014. This week, I'm trying a CWI passenger backrest and no topcase. You can definitely feel the difference in the bike, not necessarily better, but different. I miss the storage of the E55. I wish someone made a commercially available product to mount a topcase/backrest right behind the rider like Dan's, and wish someone made a better passenger backrest option for the Givi E55. If your pillion wears a jacket of any type, they won't need a backrest with that case. But mine reports a t-shirt isn't nearly enough cushion and most find the only prefab option, the givi backrest, sticks out too far.
Thanks for the compliments! I have seriously considered developing a much simpler version of my rear deck + rack (I am a Mechanical Engineer by profession). I have it sketched out (on the CAD system) but have a bit of "writers block" right now, stuck on a few details. The goals would be ultra simple (3-4 parts) inexpensive, super strong, easy to mount/dismount, versatile (can use various hard case adaptors), include mounting points for helmet locks and a bungie-friendly rack.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't love the look of the factory trunk or the aero implications at (very) high speed, but I end up taking it a lot. Having one key to open all three cases (and ignition) is too convenient, and having a quick option that's secure and waterproof for a helmet, gear, etc. is nice. If it's going to be a hot dry trip I leave it home.

Trunk as a backrest and extra storage ONLY when SWMBO is aboard. I do not like the look of trunks and find that I have plenty enough space for myself in the two side bags. When we go off for multiple weeks at a time I only get one side bag and (less than) half of the trunk for my stuff, so I'm used to minimalistic space. ;)

OEM trunk on long trips or rainy weather. Sometimes I leave the trunk in the hotel room. Great additional dry storage even though I'm not crazy about the look. Very practical. I wish I could figure out a way to tastefully add lighting to the Yamaha truck. Running, brake, and turn signals preferably.

No Big ass ugly box on the back for me. Woman don't like it, latch on a tail bag and tank bag if needed but generally ride without.

When solo (majority of time) she stays light and skinny. 2 up,, sometimes add side cases or when going further than usual day trip.

Smuggler is always on there. Sometimes I leave the panniers off. I have an older tank bag, but doubt It'll ever see much use, and one of Garauld's 'sport' racks plus stiffy kit for my camera case.

Don't like the appearance of any of the trunks, so if I need to pack Even Moar Stuff I'll hook up the trailer

Shad 33 top case with backrest and shad yamaha mount. Mostly two up riding & commuting. Didn't like the look of the larger cases or the cost. For $135 total the "smaller "case works better for me and my passenger. Passenger feels the smaller case doesn't lock her arms in place and she only leans back to use the back rest on occasion. The case looks more aerodynamic to me and I feel no effects on handling also less worried about rack weight issues. Perfect capacity for my XL helmet & extras , however I use it mostly to carry my lunch and work stuff then at work I put my Magnetic tank bag in it for security.My left side side case holds two rain suits pretty much all the time ( New England pop-up storms ) so when we are out and about the top case carries stuff we need for the day leaving one side case empty in case we need it. My BMW RT came with a 33L top case which was always perfect for us ( It's shape did not fit my helmet however- the Shad is better and like that it can be left unlocked) . So plenty of storage, comfort & function FOR MY LIKES.

Tried the passenger backrest from sargent, passenger did not like as it pushed her forward towards the rider. Abrupt stops had us bagging helmets. The backrest hangs over the seat area by design so it lessens the passengers room. Again my passenger doesn't like to lean or be locked in by the backrest thus the preference of the top case. Can't say if all backrest work as the sargent does, pirates lair looks further back but isn't easy to remove like the sargent.

I do like to take all the cases off when riding solo and going for a spirited run thus the "Sport" in sport touring. I even like to leave the side cases home and keep the top case for it's commuting convenience.

I also feel a ST bike should have a top case- "Touring ". ST's are a versatile bike and great to tailor to your needs.

Daily commute or short weekend trips, no top case. Longer trips such as vacation or LD rallying, side cases + OEM top box. I generally pack the top box pretty light, just a small lunchbox with some bottles of water and snacks, rain gear, spare gloves, and rally flag rig with related paperwork. Wife rides her own but I sometimes carry overflow. On a week or longer trip I even add on a Motofizz tail bag.

I like my E55. Wouldn't go smaller. I have a CWI backrest that my wife reports is quite comfortable, but no more so than the bare E55.

Shad 33 top case with backrest and shad yamaha mount. Mostly two up riding & commuting. Didn't like the look of the larger cases or the cost. For $135 total the "smaller "case works better for me and my passenger. Passenger feels the smaller case doesn't lock her arms in place and she only leans back to use the back rest on occasion. The case looks more aerodynamic to me and I feel no effects on handling also less worried about rack weight issues. Perfect capacity for my XL helmet & extras , however I use it mostly to carry my lunch and work stuff then at work I put my Magnetic tank bag in it for security.My left side side case holds two rain suits pretty much all the time ( New England pop-up storms ) so when we are out and about the top case carries stuff we need for the day leaving one side case empty in case we need it. My BMW RT came with a 33L top case which was always perfect for us ( It's shape did not fit my helmet however- the Shad is better and like that it can be left unlocked) . So plenty of storage, comfort & function FOR MY LIKES.
Tried the passenger backrest from sargent, passenger did not like as it pushed her forward towards the rider. Abrupt stops had us bagging helmets. The backrest hangs over the seat area by design so it lessens the passengers room. Again my passenger doesn't like to lean or be locked in by the backrest thus the preference of the top case. Can't say if all backrest work as the sargent does, pirates lair looks further back but isn't easy to remove like the sargent.

I do like to take all the cases off when riding solo and going for a spirited run thus the "Sport" in sport touring. I even like to leave the side cases home and keep the top case for it's commuting convenience.

I also feel a ST bike should have a top case- "Touring ". ST's are a versatile bike and great to tailor to your needs.

On a lot of LD rallies you have to take a picture of your flag with some type of historical marker, statue, or monument of some type. A lot of the riders I've been around use a pants hanger, you know the kind of plastic hanger with 2 clips on them, and some type of a "selfie stick" to allow them to hold their flag in one hand out in front of them getting the desired target in the background while operating a camera with their free hand.

Actual weight of this is under a pound but I've grafted a spare trunk key with a radio knob that stays in my trunk lock, secured to the handle with a reusable zip tie. This allows me to pull up at a bonus location and let the bike run, aiming my lights at my target if it's dark out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Bobduster225 and hey, we have the same ride. I Just installed the SHAD 33 and like the smaller, but still useful size. I also like the idea of 4 configurations depending upon the ride. 0 bags, just the side cases, just the top case (Convenient) and all three cases combined.

The matte black on both the case and the shad steel fitment looks good against the seat and matte black on the front panels of the 14 FJR.

Passenger backrest for years. Gives me something to tie our travel bag to when go on trips. It also gives the pretty passenger something to help her feel secure. I actually have the PCA backrest and rack combo, as the FJR's OEM space back there is wanting.

If I'm riding solo, no trunk. Riding with my wife, trunk on the back. Side bags are on all the time.