Turn signal cancellation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I've read a lot about the turn signal issue here but not many solutions. However DickF in a round about way, did give me some inspiration and I'm happy to report that I have now fixed the problem of leaving your turn signals on for 40 miles.

The solution is to add 2 x $5.00 buzzers from Radio Shack and wire one each into both the left and right, front turn signals. Bingo problem solved big time and it's a real neat and fairly uncomplicated job, total about 1.5 hours done the right way.

Here's how: Remove both top side panels on the front fairing. On the left side it's the small black plastic cover next to the storage compartment. On the right it's the cover over the battery, it's very simple to remove these, just use common sense and remove the appropriate screws and black plastic push connectors to remove them. Remember the black push connectors require you to push in the small pin in the middle of the connector, this then releases the plastic push connector from the fairing.

In my case I didn't want to drill any holes in the bike so I simply tie wrapped the small buzzers (the size of a quarter by 1/2 thick and 87dB) in both areas. On the left, up against the outside of the storage compartment next to the radiator cap, on the right, tucked in behind the 2 x fuse blocks. Then I ran the ground wires from the two buzzers, to the frame by removing one of the small bolts from the black metal brackets that hold the faring assembly and various parts to the main aluminum frame. Crimped end connectors do a nice job here. If you take a close look you'll find a few locations to run these grounds but make sure you're not running the ground wire to a plastic part.

I then spliced an additional length of wire to the red buzzer (hot) wires so that it reaches down to the turn signal bulb assembly, one for each side. Now remove both left and right black plastic side panels underneath the bike by the front wheel, (you need to lay on your back to do this) remove the appropriate screws and plastic push connectors from these panels and remove them. This is also fairly straight forward and logical. Now you have access to the front turn signal bulbs. With a trouble light determine which of the 3 wires is the flashing wire (dual filament bulb is used here, turn signal and daytime running lights plus ground) Now simply slice the hot buzzer wire into the turn signal wire and wallah, beep beep beep when the turn signals are activated. It's a little loud but not bad at rest, but nicely audible at 80mph. If you don't want a noise as an alarm, you can splice in 2 x LED lights instead but you need to determine where you want to mount them and it will mean drilling 2 x holes into the cowling/fairing somewhere which I didn't want to do.

Since I could not find any information as to where the flasher unit is located or how to get to it, for an extra $5.00 buzzer, I just did'nt bother and used the above approach with success.

Now tie wrap everything neatly in place and replace the plastic covers and you have an excellent solution to the annoying problem of leaving on your turn signals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Conversely, take a look on gl1800riders.com at the threads complaining about the Wing's self-canceling turn signals and looking for ways to disable them! :lol: :D

I have an 07 FJR and have put several thousand miles on it. I have been spoiled by the signal cancellation on Yamaha cruisers and wish the FJR had one! Does anyone know of how to construct or purchase one for the FJR? I would love to have it work like the ones on my cruisers (stay on at stop and cancel after 15 secs. of riding.

I have one on the FJR, make turn, shift to second, pinch button, It's called a conditioned reflex. :rolleyes:

Considering I drove to work today with my signal flashing most of the way, one of these days I have to implement my idea of putting a cancel switch on the foot shifter, so it kills the turn signal when I upshift. And considering I failed college electronics, that'll probably be right after I get my million dollars and a pony.

Ok, having the signals cancel automatically would be annoying. What if you're sitting at a light, and you have to reengage the signal a few times?

A loud beeping whenever the signal's on would also be annoying.

How about start the beeping only after you've left your signal on for over 30 seconds? There's something I would consider. Anybody got a circuit for that?

I take it back. Why would I want it to start beeping at me when it could just shut it off for me? I'll stick with the "conditioned reflex".

Now, telling me what gear I'm in, there's something useful. Sorry, wrong thread.

Ok, having the signals cancel automatically would be annoying. What if you're sitting at a light, and you have to reengage the signal a few times?
A loud beeping whenever the signal's on would also be annoying.

How about start the beeping only after you've left your signal on for over 30 seconds? There's something I would consider. Anybody got a circuit for that?
there's a home made circuit I had on my Vulcan Cruiser that included diodes (one way valves) and connected to the neutral switch and the clutch switch. That way, the beeper was off when in neutral or the clutch lever in -> only beeped when moving forward. No annoy when stopped at an intersection for all to hear. An electrically wise (guy) fellow forum member over there drew it up and indicated to me what parts to purchase from a electronics store house. Had a multiple terminal "special" relay with two diodes to the turn signals hot wires and connections mentioned above.

Considering I drove to work today with my signal flashing most of the way, one of these days I have to implement my idea of putting a cancel switch on the foot shifter, so it kills the turn signal when I upshift. And considering I failed college electronics, that'll probably be right after I get my million dollars and a pony.
I thought of doing that, but the problem is the turn signal switch is mechanical. I don't think there is a way to cancel with a signal impulse. That button has to be pushed to reset the switch. But, the upshift would be the perfect que for automatic signal cancellation. The timers are pretty imperfect. Thirty seconds isn't long enough for stop light and too long for a lane change.

I came up with an alternate solution that works for me. The problem is the little green lights aren't bright enough to be noticed. So, I ordered a couple of ALM-B-x6 Accent Light Modules from SuperBright LEDs.com. So far, I've mounted them on my FZ1 inside cowling up high by the windscreen. They are wired parallel to the signals. There is no way to ignore them when you are flashing. I plan to order a pair for the FJR.

alm-x6_b.jpg

I got the idea from my riding buddy's 1150RT. His turn signal indicators are bright and at eye level.

It makes a very neat installation and is simple to do — and it works like a charm.

I thought of doing that, but the problem is the turn signal switch is mechanical. I don't think there is a way to cancel with a signal impulse. That button has to be pushed to reset the switch.
Hey, my '82 GS1100GL had a solenoid that physically smacked the button back out for the auto-cancel. That was a nasty hack, and of course it failed after a while. (just like the rest of the bike, but hey...)

I'd open the switch up and remove the left-right mechanical latches, and add a 3rd push-to-cancel contact. That would be cleaner. The circuit would have logic to keep blinking until it got a cancel signal from foot or button. I've done it on junkyard switch pods... I should probably start practicing on my SV-650 first. It'd be sweet to have the circuit small enough to fit in the pod.

One big problem is the "clutchless shifter" switches are like $80 or so. And yes, that's just for the switch.

I have tried to train myself since I got the bike, but I developed a bad habbit with my cruisers and self cancel that I cannot shake. I seem to cancel maybe half the time which is an unacceptable safety issue for me. I do NOT find self canceling signals annoying. On my criuiser it stays on at a light and will not shut off till you are moving well past the turn. I just do not understand why Yamaha doesn't make it standard on all their bikes?

I just do not understand why Yamaha doesn't make it standard on all their bikes?
Because some people, including myself, don't want them. We prefer the control and accept the responsibility of paying attention while we're riding. Put an autocancel device on a bike of a person that isn't paying attention and it's harder to spot them and give them a wider berth. ;)

And yes...this particular subject has been hashed many, many times before.

I just do not understand why Yamaha doesn't make it standard on all their bikes?
Because some people, including myself, don't want them. We prefer the control and accept the responsibility of paying attention while we're riding. Put an autocancel device on a bike of a person that isn't paying attention and it's harder to spot them and give them a wider berth. ;)

And yes...this particular subject has been hashed many, many times before.
I pay attention to the traffic situation while riding and find looking at the control cluster to be a distraciton from what the rider should be paying attention to!

I pay attention to the traffic situation while riding and find looking at the control cluster to be a distraciton from what the rider should be paying attention to!
Except for the little detail that you're broadcasting to other people you're turning...when you're not. <_<

But, that's OK. You don't want to unlearn your habit then you should invest in an after-market option....and be happy that other owners don't have to pay extra for what they think is an unnecessary option. :)

My work truck doesn't have self-canceling turn signals so it's become a habit with me to turn them off early, sometimes when initiating a turn, always double check when straightening from said turn. It was easy enough to transfer that habit to the FJR. Being a failure prone human being I do make mistakes now and again.

My XS110 had self-cancel signals that would shut off early because I tend to signal before entering a turn lane and they'd shut off before I came to a stop. By CG-1000 Connie didn't have auto-cancel nor does my KLR and I seem to be able to function in traffic.

There is no easy solution that will make every individual happy and serene. God knows enough engineers and politicians have tried (and still are).

If you can't train yourself to turn your signals off, buy a Kisan unit (or something similar) and modify your motorcycle to fit your particular needs/habits. That's part of the fun and, in the end, much more satisfying than blaming the manufacturer for not planning for each person's needs and wishes.

As Matt pointed out, this subject has been discussed every year (and sometimes many times) since the 2003 units were delivered. Besides, pulling up next to another rider and pointing out that their signal is left on is part of the FJR Group Ride "fun"! As is keying the radio and mentioning, "Someone has left their signal on and is leaking blinker juice all over the roadway." ;)

Even easier and cheaper is to not use your turn signals at all, like me. I'm a little upset that I have extra lights and wiring that I shouldn't have had to pay for.

I'll stick with the "conditioned reflex".
+1 on that. It's like a new pair of underware............ "at first it feels restrictive, then it becomes a part of you" [SIZE=8pt]Garth Elgar[/SIZE]

Now, telling me what gear I'm in, there's something useful.
That can be conditioned also. Just start paying attention to your RPM's in relation to your speed and gear. Eventually, you'll be able to tell just by how the bike "sounds" in relation to your perceived speed. Try it..........it works for me. First gear's a freebee........only 4 more to learn.

Life can be so irritating when others don't live up to one's standards of perfection — if you let it. Life has taught me that it isn't necessary for others to be stupid for me to feel smart.

I'm having a difficult time remembering to cancel my signals. I started riding 3 years ago after a lay-off of about 30 years. Back then, bikes didn't have signals, or electric starters, either. I think signals are a great improvement to bike safety. The jury is still out on starters.

My difficulty in remembering to cancel doesn't have anything to do with my lack of regard for my own safety. That's my main concern when riding. To be honest, when I get to a complicated and busy intersection, I never forget to signal, but after that, I get real distracted by watching for every possible scenario where someone is going to fail to yield, not see me or deliberately try to kill me. Even though I rode a lot in my younger days, I'm having to relearn lots of little things and the process takes time.

A good golf swing has many elements. If you have to consciously think of more than one at a time, your swing is screwed. The same thing applies to riding. Operating the bike needs to be automatic and only repetition and experience will make that happen. Until it becomes automatic for me to cancel, it is a diversion from my attention to traffic and the road, which in my judgement, is paramount.

After inquiring about signal cancelers and being ridiculed by many of the self-righteous dicks you find on the web, and not finding anything on the market that I thought would work, I solved the problem my way. I ordered some nice small tasteful LED amber marker lights from Superbright LED.com and mounted them near my mirror eyeline on the inside trim of my FZ1. They work for me and if you didn't know they weren't stock, you'd never guess it by the installation. I've been riding with them for about 2 weeks and haven't forgotten to cancel for more than 10 seconds since I installed them. I ordered a second pair to install on my FJR.

I've also taken to heart the suggestions to make a habit of tapping the cancel button while riding. It is a good idea. In a few more months, that should be ingrained as a good habit. In a few months, I may not need the reminder, but they'll still be useful as a good addition as signals visible to other traffic. In the mean time, I want avoid getting squashed if that's possible.

I was surprised the FJR didn't come with self canceling signals. My 85 Vmax had them and they worked great. I also agree that the inicators on the Gen 2 dash are way to small.