Twisties in the Rain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inf0g33k

Reaction score
Just got my first full set of rain gear in my first season with the FJR. Thoroughly enjoying the Feej on dry roads, just set up my suspension (NOW we're talking...
clapping.gif
), made 'first contact' (sort of, it was my toe...) and starting to dial it in on the curves. After years of dry-only riding, I've been easing into full rain, took a few gully-washers head on, stayed dry and upright, and all has been well.

I recently took a jaunt up Six Gap early one morning and was rather enjoying the road on the way up the first leg, when it started to mist and spit, just barely even getting the road wet, and I started to notice a sheen in my lane. As I'm twisting up the road at an easy pace, I start thinking to myself, remember they always say 'the first few minutes or just a light spritz is the most dangerous cause of the oil rising up...', and I've dealt with this many times before with no affair. I'm also thinking, my tires are nice and warmed up, they've been sticking like glue for the last 20 miles, and remember they always say 'you've got a lot more wet traction than you realize...'. (Yes, wet as in WATER, not OIL....) But nevertheless, I continue twisting up because I'm thinking, I'm responsible, I'm just going for a morning cruise, I'm practically doing posted speed which feels easy like a Sunday morning, not even really getting much lean on, (this is all within maybe 5-8 seconds) and as I'm then starting to think, wow, that is a REALLY iridescent sheen, HOLY FACK!, on transition from left to right on an easy twist, the rear slides what felt like a foot (it was probably a couple inches, if that) out from underneath me, momentarily stopping my heart, catches, uprights, and as I continue on my no-longer-merry way, all I can hear is the beat of my own heart as the blood returns to my face. Now I'm pretty sure what I saw, and then slipped on, wasnt ordinary street oil, I think someone may have taken a spill or dropped an oil pan plug or something, but that one little moment seems to have severely set back my wet riding confidence. The fact is I have never even gotten close to the limit of dry traction, and I just dont know where the wet limit is, just that it is somewhere (seemingly) far below that. Riding wet in a straight line and on gentle bends is easy, but I'm struggling with how much wet lean is safe and reasonable, and not in any way looking to 'ride fast' or push anything while it's wet, I just don't want to feel like a complete pussy and hold up traffic because I now take corners in the rain more upright than Mary Poppins.

This morning I went and rode the same section of Six Gap, and wouldnt you know it, it started to mist and spit. I had just been carving around quite nicely on they way up on my warm and sticky tires, but as soon as the pavement started to darken from the rain again, I lost all confidence in my cornering, likely over-anticipating another sudden loss of traction. It occurred to me after I had to grab a little brake for a car pulling out in front of me, that I actually probably put more friction on the tire doing just that, than I do when taking easy to moderate corners. I probably have lots more traction available, but I'm just having a hard time fighting what feels like 'phantom traction loss', where I think I am going to lose it, but I'm probably miles from it.

How do you guys alter your riding habits for rain, and what highly-subjective, depends-on-the-specific-amount-of-water/oil/tire/braking/acceleration/leanangle/roadsurface/temperature/compound/etc advice could you offer for building confidence in cornering in the rain? Do you see drastic wet traction differences between tires? I in no way confuse myself with these guys, but was recently watching some old Superbike races, and some were in the rain, and I'm just amazed at the amount of grip these guys have. I get that they're on race-prepped surface with rain tires, etc, but I've got to believe I have room to ride, and I'd like to do it confidently and safely.

Enlighten me, o sage riders of the Feejer.
closedeyes.gif

I slid out (bike down) before on a tight ess-turn in saturated conditions a few years back, it wasn't on my FJR as I didn't own one yet but still scared the crap out of me. My leg was ripped up pretty good, I kinda did a slide like stealing home base with the bike perfectly skidding on the framwork, sliders and my left leg. So I'm gun shy on wet twisty's and even a little gun shy (still) on dry twisties (like when I really have to lay the bike over and I feel the foot peg pivot up). Let's just say it raises my attention level and the helpless feeling that I had that day. So for me; rain + twisties = girlie mode. (and no offense ladies, I know most of u can drive ur socks off!)

I slid out (bike down) before on a tight ess-turn in saturated conditions a few years back, it wasn't on my FJR as I didn't own one yet but still scared the crap out of me. My leg was ripped up pretty good, I kinda did a slide like stealing home base with the bike perfectly skidding on the framwork, sliders and my left leg. So I'm gun shy on wet twisty's and even a little gun shy (still) on dry twisties (like when I really have to lay the bike over and I feel the foot peg pivot up). Let's just say it raises my attention level and the helpless feeling that I had that day. So for me; rain + twisties = girlie mode. (and no offense ladies, I know most of u can drive ur socks off!)
Kudos for admitting that. :drinks:

Yeah...just try following Iris in the rain

Following would be no problem...keeping up would be another matter from what I hear. :D

Does this answer your question?

4415529489_32db0fcfc4_o.jpg

Good one.

My suggestion for those of you who are freaked out by the rain is to get the Lee Parks Total Control book. There is some excellent info in there about the proper mental attitude for all types of riding and dealing with fear, and having faith in yourself and your motorcycle.

GA Six Gap Map

I just chill the hell out in the twisties in the rain. I leave my more spirited riding for dry conditions. Just seems to be the common sense approach to take...at least for me.

One thing I don't like AT ALL are tar-snakes. The only think I hate more than tar-snakes...are wet tar-snakes. For instance on the six gap route hwy 60 from Suches down to Dahlonega it is nothing but tar-snakes. I stay away from wet road markings & wet tar-snakes as much as possible. Nothing worse than a steep downhill grade, on a blind mountain corner & a road covered in wet tar-snakes.

Plenty of dry days to ride aggressively...makes no sense to me to push it in slippery conditions on public roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this answer your question?

4415529489_32db0fcfc4_o.jpg

Good one.

My suggestion for those of you who are freaked out by the rain is to get the Lee Parks Total Control book. There is some excellent info in there about the proper mental attitude for all types of riding and dealing with fear, and having faith in yourself and your motorcycle.
And that Sir is a pic of one of Lee Parks instructors ;) The Birdman Rob.

obviously, as you have pointed out, there are a ton of factors in play here, tire condition, suspension settings, tire/road temp, etc etc....

while a sage i am not, but a fairly seasoned rider i am (25+ years i guess with tons of it in the rain...never minded the rain i guess) and with a set of PR2's, in the rain, i'm very happy. Certainly a wet road will never tolerate me riding at my 90% like i do in the dry, but subjectively 60%+ is no problem...

in the wet the bike will be less tolerant of weight distribution changes front to rear and side to side but if you are smooth in your weight transition etc, my experience is the bike will do it's part.

that said, STAY OFF the center line and edge markers... always.

" I now take corners in the rain more upright than Mary Poppins." That's funny.

I suggest you attend as many FJR events as possible. Eventually you should get the

opportunity to follow some seasoned FJR owners in the rain like I did. It helped my

dry road riding as well. I do think extra care should be taken on roads that have not seen

rain for awhile. Some suggest a 10% decrease in traction during rain. Think I might pad

that a bit but that's just me. Had the rear step out on me right as a rain started a few tires ago.

I want to blame that damn tire but in truth I probably grab just a little more throttle than I should of.

Now I have this image of being passed in the rain by Mary Poppins, Thanks a bunch. :angry:

Followed her in dry twisties up in the 'Dacks this past June. Iris is an awesome rider. Her small lightweight build is a huge advantage over us big/tall guys. Actually all of my small(er) friends (who are strong) have this same advantage in all of my powersporting especially snowmobiling. I guess probably most noticeably would be horse jockey's, picture me at 6-4 238lbs on "Zippy Chippy". Guess the horse would have to be renamed just "Chippy" :rolleyes:

Followed her in dry twisties up in the 'Dacks this past June. Iris is an awesome rider. Her small lightweight build is a huge advantage over us big/tall guys. Actually all of my small(er) friends (who are strong) have this same advantage in all of my powersporting especially snowmobiling. I guess probably most noticeably would be horse jockey's, picture me at 6-4 238lbs on "Zippy Chippy". Guess the horse would have to be renamed just "Chippy" :rolleyes:
So yer saying she's faster just because she's smaller, eh? ;)

I too followed Iris at DAKS. I especially remember Tracy Road. She is a good rider and keeps a good line in the twisties. Very impressive!

I've never been extremely confident in the rain. Its not because I don't trust my bike. Its because I don't trust the roads. That picture above is cool, but was done either in a closed course or where the pavement was known.

The hardest I have ridden in the wet was EOM 2009 when I was following JamesK, MrTwisty, FUBAR, and WellsJ all around eastern Tennessee in nearly constant rain. I knew of they could stick in the turns, so could I.

What I'm saying is, if I am on a track that's known to have clean pavement, going fast isn't that hard. Out on the road where God only knows how much oil or antifreeze is coming up is a different story.

I'd rather run a little slower than eat shit. YMMV.

I'm with you, Zilla!

All it takes is one 18 wheeler with a loose or missing fuel cap to spread a bit of diesel in the corner and absolutely RUIN your day.

A bit of common sense in the wet is a good survival instinct, plus at my age, I heal too slowly now! :eek:

Don

HRZ makes a great point. Even dry roads can give us nasty surprises. Imagine that oil patch on a freshly-moistened curve.

I've never been extremely confident in the rain. Its not because I don't trust my bike. Its because I don't trust the roads. That picture above is cool, but was done either in a closed course or where the pavement was known.

The hardest I have ridden in the wet was EOM 2009 when I was following JamesK, MrTwisty, FUBAR, and WellsJ all around eastern Tennessee in nearly constant rain. I knew of they could stick in the turns, so could I.

What I'm saying is, if I am on a track that's known to have clean pavement, going fast isn't that hard. Out on the road where God only knows how much oil or antifreeze is coming up is a different story.

I'd rather run a little slower than eat shit. YMMV.

I'm with you, Zilla!

All it takes is one 18 wheeler with a loose or missing fuel cap to spread a bit of diesel in the corner and absolutely RUIN your day.

A bit of common sense in the wet is a good survival instinct, plus at my age, I heal too slowly now! :eek:

Don

HRZ makes a great point. Even dry roads can give us nasty surprises. Imagine that oil patch on a freshly-moistened curve.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you guys are missing the point. Nobody here is advocating trying to scrape pegs or ride 90% on the street in the rain, the goal is to find a happy medium where you are not all tensed up and riding like you are on ice. Of course treat wet roads with respect and restraint, but don't be afraid of them.

And I would hope than even the biggest idiot on a motorcycle would know that *fresh* rainfall is most dangerous and requires elevated levels of caution.

We get a fair amount of exposure to rain here in the PNWet...I probably get to ride in damp / rain conditions more than dry.

Read the road and adjust accordingly. I generally don't find it necessary to adjust speeds in the wet, but then again, I don't run 90% in the dry either. Smooth is king so you don't upset the bike...YMMV

--G

Status
Not open for further replies.