U-turns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenporider

Reaction score
I've owned this bike for four years now and managed to not have to do any tight u-turns, you know, when you have to side sadde it. Just the thought of it on this big, heavy beast made me avoid it at all costs right up until yesterday. I must have had an extra helping of Wheaties because I could have easily avoided it but decided it was time to just do it. I have to say I was pleasantly suprised at how easy it was. In fact, I headed to a parking lot and did a few figure 8's and have to say it performed better than any bike I've ridden. As a special reward she gave me better than 50 MPG for the first time!

The only time my FJR has been on its side was when I was showing my son U-turns as he practiced the "box" for his driving test. he had 24 ft allowed.

20 ft wide I did.

At 18 ft ......shit

:glare:

I wonder if a normally clutched FJR is more adept at the "box" U-Turns than the FJR AE?

I'd like to know cuz I totally fail trying to keep both feet up on the pegs trying to pull a U-Turn between pump islands on my AE.

The very first thing I do when I get a new bike is to find a nice open parking lot and really practice the slow stuff- u turns, figure eights, weaving around parking lot markings etc. The day I picked up the FJR I of course did the same thing, and was very pleasantly suprised at how easy it was for the first ride. It's definitely a lot of bike, and I sure wouldn't want to have to try to pick it back up, but it's not a difficult bike to twist around on. Practice of the slow speed maneuvers is probably the most important thing you could do when you first get a new bike.

This is something that I practice doing every couple of weeks. It is amazing the amount of confidence that I gain just by doing some circles and 8's in a parking lot. Now I will concede that my Nighthawk is a couple of hundred pounds lighter than an FJR but I make up for that when I put my fat ass on it. :)

Practice Practice Practice.

its not the weight of the bike, until its to late. I find the fjr easier to ride then the fz1 at slow speeds, the fz1 is twitchy compared to the fjr. confidence and practice, the bike can do it all you have to do is stay on. Its not moving fast why so much trouble staying on?

watch where you are going not where you are, you are already there.

clutching is better in really tight corners, but dragging the back break is easier, settles the chassis too, keeps everything down and tight. that can back fire though. especially if you need to change your brake fluid. knock on head... ride or fix? RIDE!!!

I wonder if a normally clutched FJR is more adept at the "box" U-Turns than the FJR AE?

I'd like to know cuz I totally fail trying to keep both feet up on the pegs trying to pull a U-Turn between pump islands on my AE.
I have zero problems with full lock turns on my AE. Slow enough to disengage the clutch, then throttle up against the rear brake and around you go.

practice practice practice...
Yes, over and over and over

Probably one of the few good things I learned in the MSF course was how to work brake and clutch during U turns. Glad it was on their bikes, heh.

FJR tight-turn/U-turn = RPMs up and feather the clutch for speed control. :ph34r:

AE owners are just screwed. :blink:

JMHO

www.ridelikeapro.com

Great stuff on the dvd, however a bit corny at times, bit still really good stuff.

Something I have always wondered however...at least for me, my left hand U-turns are almost always better and tighter than my right handers. I don't know if others experience the same thing or not. If so, any theories on the physics of why this is?

Doesn't matter what type of bike you are riding, from full dress touring to a pocket bike. As long as you(Most important thing) look where you want to go (and not at the front tire), leave the front brake alone and drag against the rear if necessary,and keep some power to the rear end, it will walk it's self through a u-turn.

It's all technique..

Doesn't matter what type of bike you are riding, from full dress touring to a pocket bike. As long as you(Most important thing) look where you want to go (and not at the front tire), leave the front brake alone and drag against the rear if necessary,and keep some power to the rear end, it will walk it's self through a u-turn.

It's all technique..
That's pretty much how I was taught -

1. Keep a constant throttle say around 1500 RPM

2. Slip the clutch at a constant position.

3. Control your speed using the rear brake only.

4. Do all of the above in a straight line until you get the hang of varying the speed using the rear brake only.

5. Then (and only then) try your turns.

Don