UCC Ride Record Broken

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many miles was Dan's route?
Same route as Will Barclay 5,536 miles or 8,909 km (For you Scott
rolleyes.gif
)

I was able to meet up with Dan on the last fuel stop and ride with him for a bit. I could not believe what I witnessed.

The bike was in expected condition, but Dan was in great shape. I expected a punch drunk fatigued rider pressing on

past the point of safety. What I saw was a sharp, alert rider who was steady in his lane and making good riding decisions.

Congrats my friend !!! (Truly amazing)
punk.gif

I was able to meet up with Dan on the last fuel stop and ride with him for a bit. I could not believe what I witnessed.The bike was in expected condition, but Dan was in great shape. I expected a punch drunk fatigued rider pressing on

past the point of safety. What I saw was a sharp, alert rider who was steady in his lane and making good riding decisions.

punk.gif

Incredible!! When I did the NY-SF run a couple years ago without sleep (not planned btw) I was toast at the end. I couldn't imagine doubling that. WTG Dan!!!

I find this accomplishment amazing. I was impressed on Friday. After doing 1 BBG on Saturday I am now in awe of it. No way I could go that long with that little rest while maintaining that kind of pace. Simply amazing.

That's a lot of dirt to carry all the way from Northern Alaska!

I wonder if the wheels were unbalanced with all the mud?

OK… I am gonna take a chance and post his link. (I hope I'm not out of line.)
SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer
Glad ta see this Dan feller do'in such an incredible ride, in such an incredible time. Congratulations Dan!!!

Not sure how all this works, butt I just clicked on the link, think'in I was gonna see his ride, butt it shows him go'in home. Should prolly take the link down so the whole world don't know where he lives?

OK… I am gonna take a chance and post his link. (I hope I'm not out of line.)

SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer
Glad ta see this Dan feller do'in such an incredible ride, in such an incredible time. Congratulations Dan!!!Not sure how all this works, butt I just clicked on the link, think'in I was gonna see his ride, butt it shows him go'in home. Should prolly take the link down so the whole world don't know where he lives?
You have to click the down arrow beside Dan Simmonds and choose "Adjustments". The default is 1 day (the last 24 hours). Change it to whatever time interval you want (and Update Map) so you can see the entire trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a lot of dirt to carry all the way from Northern Alaska!I wonder if the wheels were unbalanced with all the mud?
Yes they were indeed horribly unbalanced. There was a bad vibration the entire way at certain speeds (which went away around 65-mph), but I dealt with it and simply didn't wish to burn the time to hit a car wash.

Dan Simmonds

BanjoBoy posted: Not sure how all this works, butt I just clicked on the link, think'in I was gonna see his ride, butt it shows him go'in home. Should prolly take the link down so the whole world don't know where he lives?
You might not actually know where he lives, brother. Yeah, I'll send him a PM about the following:

Spotwalla has "Secure Zones" that are defined by a specific lat/lon and radius. Any locator spots within that zone are not displayed. You can find the Secure Zones on your Device Manager page, in the pull-down menu for your tracking device. (Note that the radius is given in km.)

I set up mine using Google Maps. Find the location you want to protect, and right-click to get lat/lon. In a city like Atlanta, a 1-km radius encompasses two dozen streets and 1,000 homes, so that's good enough obfuscation for hiding my house. My rural friends get a 3-km radius Secure Zone.

Works like this: I start the Spotwalla app (SWConnect) in my garage, as the last step before riding away. The app logs a location and sends it in, but that spot is inside a Secure Zone and isn't displayed. The next location is issued after 5 minutes of riding, which can be 3-4 miles (5-6 km) from the house, outside the Secure Zone, and will be displayed. Typically, that spot will appear on I-75 or I-285, show me traveling at 60 mph or faster, and will be a long way from the house.

On my return trips, the "Finish" flag is displayed at the last location outside the Secure Zone, and may indeed be exactly 1 km (0.5 mile) from the house -- but again, that's plenty secure for metro Atlanta. Typically, however, it shows me finishing 5-7 miles away, since location info is only generated at five-minute intervals.

When I visit my kids and grandson, the track shows me heading into Charlotte and away, but never shows me anywhere near their home.

PS: Secure Zones are retroactive, so creating or expanding one will clean off any location spots that are inside the new boundary.

I was able to meet up with Dan on the last fuel stop and ride with him for a bit. I could not believe what I witnessed.The bike was in expected condition, but Dan was in great shape. I expected a punch drunk fatigued rider pressing on

punk.gif
Tony!!

Can't tell you how great it was seeing all three of you & talking....albeit briefly. The fact you personally cleaned my windshield and mirrors felt like I had a new bike afterwards. Thank you for doing all of that.

Man...so sorry I couldn't make the Port St. Lucie turnpike plaza which made you ride the whole way up to Ft Drum! I had to actually stop at the Ft. Drum plaza to stay below the 350 mile IBA fuel limit. Otherwise I would have absolutely lengthened the leg out to fuel closer to you so that we could ride together longer before you had to go to work.

And yes - I timed arrival into Key West in the early morning hours and it worked beautifully. There was virtually no traffic, but I still took my time and played it **very** cool south of Key Largo the rest of the way down.

Edmonton and Nashville were the only real trouble spots to speak of (traffic wise).

I did make a couple very silly mistakes - one was completely MISSING a planned fuel exit in Wisconsin - and turning around at the next exit 7 miles later to catch it.

Another was taking the Atlanta bypass. Added time, but I didn't want to risk traffic closer to the city.

Only one very minor speeding ticket in Beaver Creek, Yukon, of all places. And I do mean very minor. That was it the whole rest of the way down (I don't run a radar detector).

Dan Simmonds