Universal Vista Cruise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5INC

Reaction score
I needed practice posting pictures so thought I'd show my new "cruise control". It's a Vista Cruise Universal. Works great, easy install, fits over most any grip, flips on/off with thumb, tension adjustable. The only mod you need to do is to narrow the Vista handlebar clamp to fit between the brake res. clamp and the switch housing. I used a belt sander. Here's a link but you might find them cheaper elswhere.

https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Univer...ol-p-17004.html

Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find info here about this style being used on the FJ. Should also mention I have Symtex style grip heaters and there's plenty of room for the heater wire to rotate.

100_1160.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that mounted upside down? Looks like it should be rotated 180 degrees around the bar so that the lever is below the grip where it could be reached by your thumb.

Is that mounted upside down? Looks like it should be rotated 180 degrees around the bar so that the lever is below the grip where it could be reached by your thumb.
Nope. It's meant to mount on top. Easy reach for your thumb and the flip lever is serrated on top for grip.

Nope. It's meant to mount on top. Easy reach for your thumb and the flip lever is serrated on top for grip.
I understand UP's question...

Yep...that's the intended mounting position, but I found that with the lever DOWN, it was much easier to "push forward" with my thumb than to "pull down" with my thumb.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am not familiar with the friction type throttle controls. In the event that you need to slow down quickly, can you rotate the throttle without disengaging the thumb lock. I am planning to do more long distance trips with the FJR and having cruise control of some sort would be nice. My previous bike was a GL1800 Wing that had a "real" cruise control so I got a little spoiled. Don't need a "real" cruise control, but the ability to relax the right hand every now and then on the long, straight, sections of the highway would be nice.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am not familiar with the friction type throttle controls. In the event that you need to slow down quickly, can you rotate the throttle without disengaging the thumb lock. I am planning to do more long distance trips with the FJR and having cruise control of some sort would be nice. My previous bike was a GL1800 Wing that had a "real" cruise control so I got a little spoiled. Don't need a "real" cruise control, but the ability to relax the right hand every now and then on the long, straight, sections of the highway would be nice.
Vista Cruise, Throttlemeister, any of the friction lock designs, are very easy to "defeat" with a twist of the throttle. Nothing to fear.

Even if you've adjusted them tight enough to overcome "throttle walk" because of herculean throttle springs, a quick twist of the throttle works great.

Got a Vista Cruise on my FJR and a Throttlemeister on my ZRX, so I have experience with both.

Ride safe.

Almost hate to ask but after quite a while spent searching and not finding the answer....here goes. What diameter handlebars does the FJR have? Vista Cruise comes in 7/8" and 1 inch. Which do I buy?

(Thank goodness it is not Friday)

Almost hate to ask but after quite a while spent searching and not finding the answer....here goes. What diameter handlebars does the FJR have? Vista Cruise comes in 7/8" and 1 inch. Which do I buy?
They are 1" where the clamp style like mine goes on.

I installed a universal vista cruise about a year ago and was unhappy with it. It simply wouldn't hold the throttle long enough for me to stretch my hand a couple of times without losing at least 10 mph. I took it off.

Several months later I did a throttle spring unwind and confidently hoped my throttle lock would surely work well enough after that. Unfortunately it didn't. It would hold the throttle but only when tight enough to not allow the throttle to return reasonably quick even when unengaged.

I used an identical design for many years on my GL1000 which worked perfectly. On it the horizontal bar piece was made of metal. My thoughts are the new nylon/plastic bar flexes too much.

I'm thinking about either standard vista cruise or throttlemeister. Does one of these hold better than the other?

I installed a universal vista cruise about a year ago and was unhappy with it. It simply wouldn't hold the throttle long enough for me to stretch my hand a couple of times without losing at least 10 mph. I took it off.
Several months later I did a throttle spring unwind and confidently hoped my throttle lock would surely work well enough after that. Unfortunately it didn't. It would hold the throttle but only when tight enough to not allow the throttle to return reasonably quick even when unengaged.

I used an identical design for many years on my GL1000 which worked perfectly. On it the horizontal bar piece was made of metal. My thoughts are the new nylon/plastic bar flexes too much.

I'm thinking about either standard vista cruise or throttlemeister. Does one of these hold better than the other?
"heavy" throttlemeister on my feejer

have had both on different bikes and had no issues with either

on the Vista, there's an allen set screw and a bolt to adjust the tension the clamp has on the throttle

Mine works perfect. Will hold any throttle setting but still allow you to twist the throttle without releasing the lock. I've also had one on my Valkyrie for years. I'm guessing you've got the wrong rubber sleeve inside that grips the throttle grip. They come with 2 different thickness.

I have the trottlemeister on my '06. Haven't had any problems with it. I had the Vista cruise on my previous bikes and it drove me crazy. Would lock for awhile but then slowly would release. When I got the FJR I read about the throttlemeister, bought it, and love it!

Kind of confusing but the bars themselves are 7/8" and the plastic throttle tube where the Vista clamps is 1" (just measured them with digital calipers). This one Clicky fit mine and it's listed for 7/8" bars.

Ok. Now I am slightly more confused. The original post by C5INC showed shots of the Universal Vista cruise, but SCRider has a link for another type of Vista Cruise. Which one is recommended?

Thanks.

Ok. Now I am slightly more confused. The original post by C5INC showed shots of the Universal Vista cruise, but SCRider has a link for another type of Vista Cruise. Which one is recommended?
Thanks.
The one I posted and installed on my bike requires a modification to get it to work, at least on a Gen 2. Here are the instructions I used. I wasn't aware of the universal one when I bought mine but it looks like there may be some problems with the long shaft flexing. When adjusted properly, mine doesn't slip at all. Of course, I have the throttle spring unwound so that definitely helps but I didn't have a problem before I unwound it either. Great farkle for the money!