Upcoming trip to Canuckistan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCMike

Reaction score
:D In 2 weeks I'll be headed out on a solo ride. So far my tentative route is as follows; From MN through Chicago, and Detroit, crossing into Canada, then proceeding to the Niagara Falls area. From Niagara to the Bruce peninsula on Huron, take ferry from Tobermory to South Baymouth, then continue around Lake Huron into the U.P of Mich, and then back to MN.

I've got my passport. Been warned that using a credit card is easier than carrying a big wad of that goofy Canadian $$$ around, even though I'll get charged a 3% fee on every transaction. I will get a little cash just in case though.

I've heard that gas is cheaper, and the speed limit is higher up there! :yahoo: Oh, wait...... they are on the metric system. :blink:

I've been to the travel Ontario site, but wouldn't mind some personal input from the friendly Canuckistonians, or those that have traveled that way before. Such as...North shore of Lake Erie-nice, or skip it for a faster route.......sites not to be missed, etc.......

Thanks for any, and all input.

Thanks for any, and all input.
Okay, I'll only speak of my neck of the woods, over Georgian Bay.

Your return trip after the Ferry to Manitoulin Island. Plan on stopping to see Bridal Veil Falls in Kagawong, it's about a half hour side trip off Hwy 6. Right on the side of the hwy, you CANNOT miss it. After you cross the swing bridge onto the mainland your in for a treat. Hwy 6 is miles of freshly repaved high speed sweepers with _STUNNING_ scenery. About 20 miles before Espanola you'll see a non-descript sign for 'Willisville'. Do it, ride up the side of a mountain for about a mile and be treated to a SPECTACULAR view of the La Cloche Mtns.

Espanola - as you enter the town from Willisville you'll come down a long hill. The cops are ALWAYS there. Do the speed limit. Same thing for Espanola. The speeds go from 80 down to 60 down to 50 then finally down to 40. Do them. Trust me on this. Keep an eye on your right as you cross the bridge over the Spanish River. Theirs a pulp and paper mill there (pee-yew!) but has a really great view of the spillway coming out of the mill.

Theirs a couple of options between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie. The first is the bottom 50km of Hwy 129. Spectacular scenery (the road follows the Mississaugi river) and a twisty road. Basically, ride up to the 'big' bridge' - you'll now it when you see it or to Aubrey Falls - a bit of a hike into the falls, about a kilometer, enjoy, come back down to the TCH.

Hwy 129

Next, The Deer Trail - hang a right at Elliot Lake after stopping for gas on Hwy 108 follow it North to Hwy 639, then head south down toward Iron Bridge 546 to the TCH. This diversion is one of my favourite rides! On the west side, it starts out as rolling farmland, turns to semi-mountainous twisties then it hooks up with the Little White River for miles. 'Mountains' on one side, river on the other, twisty road in between. The east side the road straightens out a bit but still quite nice. Food, gas etc in Elliot Lake (nice town!). This is a REMOTE set of hwy's. Some sand in some corners. Temper your hooning!

DeerTrail

St. Josephs Island is quite nice if your camping.

Your crossing at Sault Ste. Marie - the main streets are ALL torn up (at least they were in June), theirs also construction on the main bridge and its down to one lane.

Hope this helps you out some. If your coming through this way on a weekend. Call me and I'll ride out to meet you and grab some lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't go thru Chi-town or Detroit unless your sightseeing these cities for some reason :blink:

I would go over the top at the Mackinac Bridge and head into Ontario at Sarnia...much better IMO...if yer just trying to get there.

Or take the Badger across or the fast ferry across to Muskegon.

EDIT- Oh yeah...take the Ontario "500" series roads. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't go thru Chi-town or Detroit unless your sightseeing these cities for some reason :blink:
Meeting my parents at the NASCAR race in Brooklyn, MI. I'll time it so I miss the heaviest traffic in Chicago. Not doing anything in Detroit, so hopefully I can buz through there without getting robbed or shot.

Meeting my parents at the NASCAR race in Brooklyn, MI. I'll time it so I miss the heaviest traffic in Chicago. Not doing anything in Detroit, so hopefully I can buz through there without getting robbed or shot.
How is the border crossing at Detroit there huron52? Busy?

Im in Elliot Lake drop a line if you come to town.
Aw hell JT, I was in Elliot Lake last weekend for the drag races (that was last weekend wasn't it?.. damn CRS).

Next time I'm up that way I'll drop you a line ahead of time.

Thanks Bungie you are all right......even if you are Canadian. :bleh: :D
Shhhh... just because your close enough to be an honorary Frostback doesn't mean that.. I .. er.. uh, dammit! I think my brain's waterlogged!

Thanks Bungie you are all right......even if you are Canadian. :bleh: :D
Shhhh... just because your close enough to be an honorary Frostback doesn't mean that.. I .. er.. uh, dammit! I think my brain's waterlogged!
Yep, I'm so close to Canada I can smell the the back bacon cooking :dribble: , and we of course share the love of beer! So I'm thinking the only big issue on the ride is getting used to your metric system, and money. Haven't been up there since I went fishing just across the border about 20 years ago.

Heading out in the morning. :punk:

JT, I plan on coming through your area probably around Thursday, give or take a day, but will call when I know for sure.

Great trip. If I get time, I'll do a report.

JT, the weather turned bad when I was in your area, so I stuck to the main roads, and kept heading west. Stayed in Massey, and woke up to a rainy next couple of days.

Great trip. If I get time, I'll do a report.
JT, the weather turned bad when I was in your area, so I stuck to the main roads, and kept heading west. Stayed in Massey, and woke up to a rainy next couple of days.
Glad to see you back safe 'n sound and that you enjoyed the trip. Ya, the last few around here haven't been all that pleasant. Well, unless your a duck.