Upgrade 2006 FJR - Is there Something Better?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I just finished a ride from SoCal to Dallas and back. I have not ridden much in the last 3-5 years. During this trip, we had every type of experience. Rainy 52 degree weather over Colorado mountain passes to 100 degrees in Dallas and Las Vegas. Boring freeways to some of the most beautiful and desolate two lane twisty back roads.

Before I left. I reacquainted myself with what was new in the sport touring world. While at the dealer I noticed a new 2018 FJR. Cool flat blue color. But is is really any better than my 2006 already set up with a custom seat, Penske rear shock and revised front forks withTraxxion AK-20 inserts? A new 2018 at 15k+ vs my already set up 2006 worth 5k? I will keep my 2006, the 2018 just isn't that much different.

Then I stumbled across the new Kawasaki H2 SX SE and was quite enthusiastic. But driving the Kawi on this trip? There would be NO WAY this bike would work. The FJR's electric windshield and decent wind coverage is critical when its raining and 52 degrees. This becomes very apparent when you are freezing your ass off.

Then after droning on the freeways, I noticed that the new 2018 Goldwing actually looks slimmed down and quite svelte. How nice would that be to have a Goldwing for the freeways. But then I read the reviews and fundamentally it suffers from being a boring sewing machine. All the great twisty roads in Colorado and Utah, eliminated the desire to own the new "Couch" on wheels.

But a BMW K1600GT?? Hmmmmm... Still a little sporty, yet more fwy capable? A used one at $15,000. Is this thing just too beastly to be fun on the back roads? Would I be pissed off by higher maintenance costs? I have been bleed dry by some BMW cars in the past. My last 2005 BMW 545i with only 80k on the odo needing a new $8,000 tranny for a car only worth $6,000 just after payment for a $2,500 starter may have cured me of BMW ownership. But never have I ever had a Japanese bike costs me anything other than routine maintenance.

Are there really any other bikes that can do it all like the FJR, with literally no long term maintenance costs/ surprises?

My bike is 12 years old, shouldn't there be something newer more exciting? Or has all of the manufactures efforts gone into the adventure tourer class? How dumb is this class anyway. Like I am really going to take a fully loaded BMW R1200GS off road with bags and my wife. Why the hell would I need dirt bike capability in a sport tourer? I can understand the sport tourer class: Combine a Goldwing with a GSX-R and you get an FJR. But the adventure tourer class. Combine a Goldwing with a Motocross bike? Makes no sense to me. Maybe if I lived in Africa.

I think the true solution might be to have multiple bikes. Maybe keep the FJR and get a used GSX-R1000 for me. Or get a K1600GT for two up interstates and keep the FJR. Either way, it seems like my $5,000 FJR is a keeper. I just threw $300 of fresh rubber on it, so I guess it is ready for another adventure.

So what other bikes have you considered when it comes to upgrading your FJR? Or to add to your stable?
You have stumbled onto one of the the most liberating notions on the planet - you don't need one motorcycle to do everything!!

Once you get to Number 2 (and I don't mean the biological #2) you realize that the it gets much easier to get to #3, #4, and so on.....

My stable is currently:

2008 FJR - all I need for comfort and range for touring

2006 ZX6R - track bike

2011 KTM Endura 690R - for off roading and camping fun

2014 Ninja 1000 - my commuter bike - this is what gets the big miles per year, and perfectly fit for the job

What am I considering?

1) another track bike - what happens if I crash mine? Probably a GSXR750, but maybe something more exotic? Aprilia RSV4 Factory? I was seriously thinking of bidding on one of the Ducati Race of Champions bike that was on Ebay - the Troy Corser version finally went for $180k, while the Dovi and Lorenzo models each went for about $90k.

2) upgrade the FJR - either a 2016ES, or maybe a S1000XR.

3) sell and replace the KTM with a Honda CRF450L - damn thing makes a ton of power but the clutch dumped on me this summer and cost me a trip on the Dakota Adventure Loop :( I think I need something more reliable...

You have stumbled onto one of the the most liberating notions on the planet - you don't need one motorcycle to do everything!!
Once you get to Number 2 (and I don't mean the biological #2) you realize that the it gets much easier to get to #3, #4, and so on.....

My stable is currently:

2008 FJR - all I need for comfort and range for touring

2006 ZX6R - track bike

2011 KTM Endura 690R - for off roading and camping fun

2014 Ninja 1000 - my commuter bike - this is what gets the big miles per year, and perfectly fit for the job

What am I considering?

1) another track bike - what happens if I crash mine? Probably a GSXR750, but maybe something more exotic? Aprilia RSV4 Factory? I was seriously thinking of bidding on one of the Ducati Race of Champions bike that was on Ebay - the Troy Corser version finally went for $180k, while the Dovi and Lorenzo models each went for about $90k.

2) upgrade the FJR - either a 2016ES, or maybe a S1000XR.

3) sell and replace the KTM with a Honda CRF450L - damn thing makes a ton of power but the clutch dumped on me this summer and cost me a trip on the Dakota Adventure Loop
sad.png
I think I need something more reliable...
"This is what gets the big miles per year" - This right here is a very important thought. What would I get and use. After all of the looking for one bike to replace the 2006 FJR, my only conclusion would be to buy a NEW 2016 FJR at $12,000. Saw quite a few new 2016's posted on Cycletrader.com. But a new 2016 FJR will not really enhance my motorcycling experience.

It is funny that your Ninja 1000 gets the miles, as this look very similar in ergos of a Kawi H2 SX SE. But this is 23k and would break the bank. But a Ninja 1000 might be 90% of the fun for 1/3rd the price, they look like about $7,000 for a almost new used one. It might be the perfect, commuter, sport bike, sport tourer for solo. Now you got me thinking. Time to read some reviews. Thanks for the perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Bandit 1200 is my commuter (I picked it up for $1700). Although I rack up more miles on the FJR because work is a 7 mile daily round trip. But the Bandit is 150 lbs lighter and has a bigger grin factor. My next bike will prolly be a 4 - 600cc super motard, that weighs 150 lbs less than the Bandit. I think I'll be happy with 3 bikes.

"This is what gets the big miles per year" - This right here is a very important thought. What would I get and use. After all of the looking for one bike to replace the 2006 FJR, my only conclusion would be to buy a NEW 2016 FJR at $12,000. Saw quite a few new 2016's posted on Cycletrader.com. But a new 2016 FJR will not really enhance my motorcycling experience.
It is funny that your Ninja 1000 gets the miles, as this look very similar in ergos of a Kawi H2 SX SE. But this is 23k and would break the bank. But a Ninja 1000 might be 90% of the fun for 1/3rd the price, they look like about $7,000 for a almost new used one. It might be the perfect, commuter, sport bike, sport tourer for solo. Now you got me thinking. Time to read some reviews. Thanks for the perspective.
If you're interested, here's my overall summary of the Ninja 1000:

1) Great engine for commuting - gets about 38-40mpg, and built for a very flat torque curve from low rpms, so it scoots away from traffic lights with ease.

a) I've geared it longer so it cruises at lower RPM on the freeway. Buzziness of the inline 4 can be an issue at higher revs so keeping them low is important to me. The motor has tons of torque so even geared higher there is no issue jumping away from traffic at lights.

b Stock, the throttle control was pretty abrupt off idle. I had the ECU flashed by Ivan and now its great. i think he backs off on the ignition timing when chopping the throttle so it doesn't feel rough around idle. Highly recommended.

c) Its not really meant for revving like a true supersport. It starts wheezing by about 9000 RPM (redline at 10,500 I think) so there's no point, at that rpm you're just making more noise and not much more power. But I don't ride it like that so i don't really miss it.

d) Finally - is it an supercharged H2? Absolutely not. You're not gonna get the adrenaline rush like you probably get with an H2 as it spins up, but as you said, about 1/3 the price is kind of enticing.

2) Folding mirrors - very important in CA where I lane split all day long. The bike feels quite narrow when I fold them in so that's a positive

3) Seat and ergos - quite satisfactory for the approx 1 hour commute I have. From experience, I can ride for about 3-4 hours and be OK, but after that the position feels too cramped.

4) Lighting is poor, at least on my 2014. Kawi used the old "one headlight for low beam, both for high" concept which I hate. I think they've changed that to the Yamaha way with both lights on for both high and low beams. They also went to LED lighting in '16 which apparently is MUCH better. I've also added LED lights on the tail and sides so I'm more visible during the dark commuting hours of winter.

5) The stock clutch on the earlier bikes had some oil supply issues. There were home-brewed approaches to drill holes in the clutch basket which is what I did to mine (actually our friend Brodie did the work - he's quite handy to have around
punk.gif
). In '16 they added the slipper/assist clutch that you've seen on the forum here, and the word is that its a great improvement - lighter pull at the lever, and downshifting into corners is a breeze without concern about rear wheel hop.

6) Protection from elements - the manual windscreen actually works pretty well. I keep it down as much as possible - its the most quiet and keeps the buffeting from your head. When its cold it does a pretty good job of getting your chest out of the cold air but it does deflect the air closer to my helmet so it gets louder. Of course you can tuck in behind it and you're in a nice pocket of still, quiet air.

7) Brakes - stock are pretty good, but I've put a Brembo RCS m/c on mine as well as Vesrah racing pads and now they're great!

8) commuting range - 5 gallon tank x 40ish MPG, and I have to stop to fill up about every 3.5 days, which I consider to be pretty good.

9) Forum expertise - there are a few really knowledgeable guys out there who have done a lot to help people out, especially regarding a few of the issues that I've mentioned. Not as broad as on this or other FJR forums, but pretty solid. The basic design has been out since 2011 I think so there's a lot of information already out there.

Conclusion - I didn't really love the bike the first couple of years I had it, but with just a few upgrades (ECU, some lights, and brakes) I now really enjoy the ride. Are there other bikes that could do the same job? - sure. An FZ-09 might be a good alternative, and even the Versys 1000LT might be even better according to reviews I've read, especially if you tend more to the longer range riding than I do. But with the improvements they made in the '16 model year, I think its a pretty solid all rounder....

PM me if you have any questions

Russ, Thanks for the detailed review. It is really helpful. I am not even sure if I am going to buy a second bike as I to think about a purchase very long and hard, but when I am ready I have done my homework and ready to pull the trigger.

Right now I would have to say the Ninja 1000 is in ahead of a Suzuki GSX-S1000F or even a Suzuki GSX-R1000. I really like the idea of the integrated hard bags.

I have not owned a lot of bikes over the years, but probably my favorite was my 1985 GSX-R750. What was great about the bike was how you the bike felt like it became a part of you. You sat in the bike, wind coverage was pretty good, the engine was extremely smooth, no buzz, and the power delivery was very linear. It reved, but it was a longer stroke motor, so power was present everywhere. The ergos on GSX-R's have always seemed to be more comfortable than other race bikes. It was just a truly lovely bike to ride. I later owned a 1997 YZF1000 and this bike always felt like I was sitting on it, riding it, not a part of the bike.

The Kawasaki Ninja 1000, IMO is a good looking bike. Not a fan of the green, I do like the blue, not black, and am neutral on other options. The egos look really good. very comfortable, yet sporty, and you sit in the bike. The potential buzz of the motor is a concern. My biggest issue with buzz is does it make you hands go numb after several hours?? At it's best, if a 4 cylinder is silky smooth it just makes the experience seem luxurious, at it's worst, your hands go numb. Is there enough power up top that you want to rev out the motor? There is no doubt that torque is more important than HP, but if power drops off enough it can be disappointing.

Personal: So I am a racer / athlete at heart, but I am also 56 years old. I briefly raced in 1985 at Willow Springs and while I only raced for one year, I kept pace with the best, and was battling for the top 3 positions in the open class. Plus I still compete in Tennis at a very high level. So while I am old, I am not feeble. So I would appreciate the GSX-R1000. The other side of the argument is that bikes have come so far that even the sport tourer class now has more HP than the sport class had from 20 years ago. The Kawi's 140hp is no slouch. It is also likely that I would not use the extra performance of a GSX-R over the Ninja 1000, but would use the extra features of the Ninja 1000.

If I am leaning towards the Kawi Ninja 1000, would the newer 2017+ be worth the extra money vs a 2014?. It sounds like $100 in lights, $250 in an ECU flash and brakes. Then you were up to speed? Did you replace the calipers? That could be expensive, no? Thanks again!

UPDATE: I have pulled the trigger on a new left over 2017 Suzuki GSXR 1000. I will keep the FJR because it can obviously do things sport bikes can't. There was no sense in upgrading to a newer FJR because the cost differential doesn't justify the fact that a 2006 FJR is essentially 80-90% of a 2020 FJR, especially with the choice upgrades I have already done.

So tomorrow morning I start a new adventure and pick up my new GSXR 1000 in Fremont/San Jose and drive it back to Long Beach via some of the countries best back roads. My favorite street bike that I have owned was a 1986 GSXR 750. My 89 GSXR 750 with a built 1100 motor a close second. While both my 98 YZF 1000 and 2006 FJR have been competent bikes, they haven't captured my soul. Hopefully this new GSXR has the magic. Of course it will be in blue as all GSXR's should be.

2017-Suzuki-GSX-R1000-13-e1475650011421.jpg

Nice. Your logic about keeping your FJR is spot on.

oh and BTW, my brother in laws 2017 and 2007 Shelby GT 350’s.

E2-C6-C1-E0-2-D6-E-4-B4-E-BD4-D-9-BC7211-D485-C.jpg

Have driven both. I like the looks of the ‘07 better, but the ‘17 is the one to drive. ;)