Upgrade 2010 clutch to 2016 slipper, results easy pull lever

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently changed my 06 slave for an 05 and was told all non AE slaves were interchangeable. Easy to swap, but I had to rebuild my 15 yr old MityVac (new o-rings) in order to bleed it properly. Somewhat easier lever pull and easier to feather clutch from a start. My 06 slave was a little like a light switch on/off.

I put a 2016 slave on my 2006 with no issues. They are all the same. It did result in a lighter pull (with longer travel).

Last edited by a moderator:
OK folks. I have finished the slipper clutch/lighter lever pull modification on my Gen2 2010. The bike has 23k miles on it and I had no clutch problems to begin with. The primary driven gear was a little bit "dirty" (black smudges), and a careful wipe-down cleaned it up. Reassembled with the new parts, and it went well. Full of anticipation, I took the bike out for its test ride. The shifter and the clutch lever response were nice and tight; felt like an improvement in precision. I do not experience a miraculous decrease in clutch lever pull force. I have to tell myself that this is a great improvement, but I must confess that I am not blown away by the change. I did this clutch mod for the lever force reduction. As for the slipper design, anybody who knows how to downshift does not need a slipper clutch, IMHO. As a former road racer I don't lock up the rear wheel downshifting anyway. Would like to hear from those who also have done this mod - what do you think now? For the $350 I spent on this, I would give the mod a B+, not an A. Happy to have fresh new parts at 23k miles, but not real sure I would recommend this. What do you think?

One problem with people starting a new thread (such as this one) when there is one already existing on the same topic is that you lose all the old information that people already posted about that topic. In the first thread about this mod, I detailed my opinion on the mod after having done it on my 2014, and part of my report was the amount lbs of of lever force required to disengage the clutch as measured using a spring gauge. That may have been helpful to you if you had read it before spending the money on parts to know what you could expect in decreased effort.

Edit - my prior post here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/167003-13-a-s-clutch-retrofit/page-5?do=findComment&comment=1321855

Is it decreased? Yes, without a question. How much? Read my post and calculate for yourself.

If you want to decrease it even further you could put even softer clutch springs in there, since the assist ramps will ensure the clutch wont slip even with wimpy springs, but youll have to source your own springs and take your own chances.

Honestly, Ive never ridden any bike that had a clutch any easier to pull, but they may be out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen the video from Two Wheel Obsession showing the upgrading of the FJR clutch to the 2016 slipper clutch, with greatly reduced pull force on the lever.https://youtu.be/-OTj00a2dYI

Have any of you done this mod? This how-to video is well organized and direct. I have the 2010 Gen2, and am considering doing this mod. Approx $300 in parts (as of July 3, 2018).

Have any of you done this, or have direct experience with this?

Thanks -
Report: I have 500 miles on this slipper clutch conversion. Not 100% sure I would do this again. The force reduction on the clutch lever was welcome. But it's not that great of a reduction on a 2010. And as far as the slipper design, experienced Riders know how to downshift, and are not likely to lock up the rear wheel releasing the clutch. IMHO.

When visiting dealerships I'm always on the lookout for bikes with a soft clutch pull. I've had to trade off too many great bikes because of the hand/clutch issue and my shrinking legs. My 2010 FJR was a problem with both issues. My current ride is a 2018 H-D Heritage which has a 10lb clutch pull. Seems to be close if not the same as the new FJRs. I've put after market levers on her which have a wider grip that spreads the load. I also have a Yamaha Bolt which a friend was nice enough to weld up a new clutch actuation lever for me. This brought the pull force down from 8 to 6.5 pounds. (Also used the fish scale method :) )

It seems that the lust for an FJR never leaves even when I owns some other great bikes. I've been eyeing a 2018, but the price will have to be right. Toyed with the idea of a GW with DCT but can't bring myself to do it after reading on the forums. It's all truth there, right? As for bikes with a light clutch pull the Kawa Z900's are much lighter than the 6.5 that I have on my Bolt.