Upgrading from a Gen II to a Gen III FJR... worth it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my Gen II just fine; if I were to swap to a Gen III it would have to be a 1400. If Yamaha does this within the next few years a lot of Gen III folks are going to be pissed!
I come at it the other way. I'd rather see it stay a 1300 and lose 100 pounds. In fact, I'd give 'em $20 a pound in retail price increase for every one lost. Mind you, I appreciate the Gen III has lost a touch of weight, but imo, the FJR is still on the heavy side.

WWWobble
I agree that keeping the weight down would be a key factor, but I don't think that it is impossible to raise the cc size to 1400 while keeping the weight down with all the new engine technology that is out there. I'm 6'2" and weigh 240 so the last thing I would ever complain about regarding the FJR is weight; it definitely could benefit from a stiffer shock and springs. However, I can whip this bike around from a standstill position like no other bike I ever owned before. I could have bought the new C14 or the ST1300, but the FJR is lighter, looks better, and it still looks sporty cool with the bags off which is how I ride most of the time unless I need them. I'm just tired of hearing how the C14 and BMW 1600 are faster when I know Yamaha can do something about that. With the new improvements added to the Gen III Yamaha is almost there so why not give us an updated powerplant too?

If you could trade what you have straight up for one, sure. However, the truth is, if you do trade in, you lose a minimum of 1k on what you COULD get for your bike and you'll pay about 500 in taxes on the new bike. If ya don't trade, the governor will want his 1k in taxes and ya get to struggle with getting a decent price out of your 07. However, it should sell quickly considering the time of year right now and the miles. Even so, it will cost you about 7k more than what you're driving. Is it REALLY worth that much money to get essentially the same thing? I know, there ARE differences, but 7k worth?
Just my opinion,

Gary

darksider #44
You pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

Your post describes what the logical half of my brain says, but there's always the other side that tells me otherwise.

I just get into these stages sometimes and start lusting for the latest and greatest model.

I'll probably just keep the bike. It's paid for, insurance and gas is cheap. It's a great bike and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. If anything, I'll probably just add a touring trunk for more storage for me and the gf. That should scratch the itch for something new for now. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying a new bike ;)

I think I'll wait a few years and see what comes out in the market. I've also been interested in some touring bikes (I've always had a spot in my heart for these), particularly the Victory Cross Country Tour. Perhaps in a couple of years or so, I can add the Victory to the stable and still keep my current FJR.

Thanks for everyone's input, it is greatly appreciated.

Janky,

Consider this: you can indeed buy the '13. Obviously you can afford it. However, 5 years from now, both bikes will probably be worth within 2k of each other. When you can buy a a VERY similar bike and own it for half of what it cost somebody else to buy it new, you win. The most expensive part of owning an FJR is not the gas mileage, and not the insurance, and not the payments. It's the depreciation. Which, by the way, will be next to nothing on the bike you own. It's a much wiser decision. The world is full of people with money to burn. And good for them, honestly, they earned it and now it's their joy to spend it. But for me, since I gotta sweat bullets for every dime I make, I'll be content with what I have, and very happy to own it. Besides, I've got the next best thing to a heated seat: I ride a Gen 1...

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Another idea.......keep your current FJR and buy another type of bike, off road adventure or a lighter Canyon Carver?
This is part of the logic I used in the initial selection process. Buy a great "do-everything" bike with a proven record of reliability and timeless styling with the idea of keeping it for a very long time. Then, slowly add to the stable with a dual sport, a sport bike, maybe even a full dress Harley
uhoh.gif
. It takes a several motorcycles just like it takes several boats to do everything that needs doing.

Have cruise control and heated grips installed, get your bike repainted if you want to, and use the rest of the money you're ready to spend to buy enough gas to double the mileage on the odometer of your '07.
That makes a ton o' sense!

I have the same '07 as the OP, have farkled it a bit more, and it's not going anywhere. I didn't see enough of a change with the Gen III to make me drool, (not even a little), and I'm actually waiting to see if Honda will ever update the ST.

So I've decided to keep my current FJR. It's a great all around bike and runs great.

I've started to looking at the Victory Cross Country Tour to add to the stable instead
rolleyes.gif

2012-Victory-Cross-Country-Tour.jpg

Totally different style of bike, but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for full dress tourers
punk.gif

dude, it would be a shame to trade in a FJR with so few miles on it. Why don't you give me that 07, I'll give you my '05 with a more respectable 92K miles on it and you'll fell better trading that in. You're welcome.

I think the idea of keeping the current FJR and adding to the stable is the better choice. And you are smart thinking Victory. Very well done in their genre.

I always thought that a guy should have 5 bikes to cover everything. The FJR of course. That would be the do-all street bike that IS sexy and reliable. Add to that a luxury tourer, a dirt bike, maybe a dual purpose and a supermoto, or maybe a fun around towner, well OK, this list could get longer....

The FJR does it for me. Matters not, what the year. Although the 2006 is special. And the 2007 has that deep, sexy color and is the only red one (my second favorite color), but then the 2004, then that cool charcoal, smokey silver of the AE, and then.......

I like my Gen II just fine; if I were to swap to a Gen III it would have to be a 1400. If Yamaha does this within the next few years a lot of Gen III folks are going to be pissed!
I appreciate the Gen III has lost a touch of weight, but imo, the FJR is still on the heavy side.
When you say the FJR is heavy what are you comparing it to?
What it could be. I'm with the nutjobs (possibly one of the leaders) that wants an FJR1000 at 500 pounds. Or, put differently, an FZ-1 with shaft drive and full fairing.

You buy motorcycles with your heart not your head. If you want one get it. I know people who own multiple bikes that are basically shrines - they seldom get ridden but their owners enjoy the heck out of having them. Whatever makes you happy.

I've also considered moving from my 07 to the new model. However I've come to the conclusion that the cost and farkle time would be best spent on a dual sport bike and just keep the perfectly configured 07. This is the first bike I've kept this long of time and still get excited when I hear it startup. Not many bikes can do that for me
punk.gif

Time and financing terms will tell the story for me. I lust over the 13 but the 10 is just so perfect for me. However if I don't take a bath I may have that 13 yet.

Logic and lust are fighting like hell right now. The only thing is we go around once rode most other brand bikes and love the FJR, The 13 has more of what I want and I feel it is all a 1200 RT BMW is and more.

We will se which one of me wins.

Time and financing terms will tell the story for me. I lust over the 13 but the 10 is just so perfect for me. However if I don't take a bath I may have that 13 yet.
Logic and lust are fighting like hell right now. The only thing is we go around once rode most other brand bikes and love the FJR, The 13 has more of what I want and I feel it is all a 1200 RT BMW is and more.

Man, that's the story of my life for the last couple of years. I've had motorcycle fever, but I've stayed logical. I knew I was retiring this year and should save my money. I have a perfectly good Goldwing that worked well on long tours and was still fun to ride on twisty roads. I have a perfectly good ZRX1100 that's an absolute hoot if I want to ride more like a hooligan on those same roads. I test rode a Concours and it felt good, but some of the electronic gadgetry just seemed unnecessary, and what if that danged keyfob thingie managed to get broke or lost on a trip? And lack of cruise control was a deal breaker.

The 2012 FJR had everything I wanted as well, except cruise control. Then Yamaha put cruise control on the 2013 model, and every bit of logic and will power I had went down the tubes ;)

Man, that's the story of my life for the last couple of years. I've had motorcycle fever, but I've stayed logical. I knew I was retiring this year and should save my money. I have a perfectly good Goldwing that worked well on long tours and was still fun to ride on twisty roads. I have a perfectly good ZRX1100 that's an absolute hoot if I want to ride more like a hooligan on those same roads. I test rode a Concours and it felt good, but some of the electronic gadgetry just seemed unnecessary, and what if that danged keyfob thingie managed to get broke or lost on a trip? And lack of cruise control was a deal breaker.

The 2012 FJR had everything I wanted as well, except cruise control. Then Yamaha put cruise control on the 2013 model, and every bit of logic and will power I had went down the tubes
wink.png
Yes I am retired and on a fixed income also with savings I don't want to touch. But why the hell did I work my ass off for? If not to have what I want? Reality says be happy with what you have and stay safe financially. However Want says you need that 2013 FJR with the bells and cruise that wont set past 80 :) It is really all I want and I know a grand will get me one but then you have riding modes and new fairings, and well just new and improved.

Those damn Devils sitting on my shoulders and then both of me auguring back at them, and it is all so confusing.

Those damn Devils sitting on my shoulders and then both of me auguring back at them, and it is all so confusing.
Life's short enough LAF, make yourself happy and enjoy what's left. Get the '13. The perpetual smile that you'll have on your face is Priceless! :)