UpperCan400 Moto Rally - and NOT the CFR (for me)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice report Steve! Looks like you had a blast. Glad that you got to swing by your father's gravesite to cap off a great ride.

I hated the fact I couldn't make it this year and your report just made it that much worse. :p I had been holding out hope until last weekend that I still might be able to make it, but my mother has not been doing well, at all, so we had a lot of family coming in to town to visit and with it being Father's Day weekend, it was just too much to overcome. Had it been last weekend or the weekend coming up I would have captured the "Furthest Rider" award, again. Ended up, I met up with MFletch and his son yesterday for a little 300+ M (not K) ride through Central Alabama in the 100 degree heat. :dribble: We had a blast showing the kid how the old guys roll... B)

However, your report has me pondering a Fourth of July trip to Southern Ontario in a couple of weeks with the wife (unfortunately via cage due to time constraints) .... If the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise, you can count me in for next year Mattster. BTW - I finally made my donation to Kevin via PayPal @ [email protected] and I encourage each and everyone who can afford to give, even if just a little bit, to find it in their heart to help out, whether you ride in the rally or not.

Take care and we'll see you guys next year!

FJRBandit

However, your report has me pondering a Fourth of July trip to Southern Ontario in a couple of weeks with the wife (unfortunately via cage due to time constraints) .... If the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise, you can count me in for next year Mattster. BTW - I finally made my donation to Kevin via PayPal @ [email protected] and I encourage each and everyone who can afford to give, even if just a little bit, to find it in their heart to help out, whether you ride in the rally or not.
I was fortunate to have a few minutes talking to Kevin and his family at the bbq after the event. What he has overcome, and the challenges he still faces are mind boggling to somebody whose never had to deal with them. His wife and son (who spent most of the bbq stealing other ppl's watermelon slices and ripping off facts about dinosaurs that would make a paleontologist do a double take.) are no less remarkable. Watching his son, who looked to be about 3, help his dad out without being asked or even looked at. It's just something he does because it's his dad.

Matt mentioned that he wasn't sure if they're would even be an UpperCan 400 next year, but I'm thinking they're will be. His efforts on behalf of Kevin and his family run close to his heart. But I can't imagine how much work their is in preparing and event like that.

Lets hope it's on for next year and we can both tilt a few afterwards.

Wow...nice report!!!

Things to note down and remember...never split rooms with Steve. He likes chili and doesn't give a damn about anyone else.

Sorry to hear of the Moosehead's having a confrontation with asphalt on the way back from NC. Hope all is well.

Sorry to hear of the Moosehead's having a confrontation with asphalt on the way back from NC. Hope all is well.
He buggered up his left hand pretty bad. Had some surgery on it last week. Now he just walks around looking goofy (uhm.. goofier) from the Oxy.. He's hoping to get back out riding in about 6 weeks after physio.

Lucky for me he was still able to open beers.

He buggered up his left hand pretty bad. Had some surgery on it last week. Now he just walks around looking goofy (uhm.. goofier) from the Oxy.. He's hoping to get back out riding in about 6 weeks after physio.

You heartless bastard... :lol:

Get well soon Mike!!

Thanks for posting up your report Bungie! I'm glad you had a great time. If you ask me....Mike is the perfect guy to go hitch-hiking with :rolleyes: (arm in a cast with his thumb pointing up)

I promise I'll post up a more detailed rally report by the weekend with the results and routes of each rider/team.

Good call with the Wiarton bonus though. That one, and the one further north (@ Pj's above the 45th parallel) was a sucker bonus. You basically had to run straight up the middle to bag Flesherton-Wiarton-Pj's..... you could get a couple more that were directly along the way, but the time constraint was too great with that distance. One team did it, and that's all they got and ended up in, or near (have to look), last place. The other sucker was the water towers. I figured since it was the lowest point value period (every other actual location was higher) no one would bother. The only way I would have attempted a few was if it was en-route to another location, and it took less than 1 minute to get off the bike and snap a quick photo......otherwise too much time was wasted when there were much more points available.

You're right about next year......probably will run it again.....but as it stands now, it's the furthest thing from my mind. I woke up the next day saying no-way.....but that's what I said the year before :) .

It was great to meet you and If I do run it again, I hope to see you there!