Using an I-Pass on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nels Erickson

Reaction score
So I'm going to be taking a long trip shortly, and a friend of mine is lending me his I-Pass.

Any other riders out there that use it? If so, where do you have it mounted? As I'm only borrowing it, I'm looking for a good temp location. Will it work sitting in the little glove box? What about in a chest pocket on my jacket?

Thanks for any info!

It works in the top of my tankbag in the clear map area. For others that does not work. They have a mount that you can use to attach to your fairing.

Is your vehicle registered to his i-pass account or are you just gonna pay him back?

BTW, they sell 'em for almost nothing at Jewel.

It's an RF unit that allows you to go through toll booths quickly. Auto pays the toll, and apparently at a grandfathered in rate to boot.

What's an I pass?
R
It is an electronic transponder that is detected by tollway equipment and is used to pay road tolls electronically. We have toll roads near metro areas. If you have an I-Pass, you don't have to fish change out of your pocket...and in Chicago...an I-Pass pays 50% of the Cash toll...so quite a savings in $$ and convenience.

It works in the top of my tankbag in the clear map area. For others that does not work. They have a mount that you can use to attach to your fairing.
Is your vehicle registered to his i-pass account or are you just gonna pay him back?

BTW, they sell 'em for almost nothing at Jewel.
He's going to add my license plate to his registration. Apparently the website mentions that you can put it in your hard luggage and it's supposed to work. /shrug

I'm thinking about just putting it in my chest pocket on my jacket. That shouldn't block RF. Tho the map pocket is a good idea too.

As long as your plate is registered to the transponder, you don't even need to carry it.

The state calls it a v-toll for video toll registration. I have a pair of bikes and three cars registered to my transponder. I don't even worry about it any longer but I do log in to keep an eye on the state.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as your plate is registered to the transponder, you don't even need to carry it.
The state calls it a v-toll for video toll registration. I have a pair of bikes and three cars registered to my transponder. I don't even worry about it any longer but I do log in to keep an eye on the state.
You have to keep an eye on the man or he will stick it to you.

In New York we call it E-Z Pass, but sometimes it ain't so easy, you have to drop down to 2 mph for it to register, and have a gate go up! :blink:

We have "Pikepass" here, which sounds like the same thing.

Mine is mounted on the inside of my left bag, stuck to the top using small velcro strips.

It always registers, and it's never in the way of anything.

As YukonG mentioned in OK we have the Pikepass. The booths take a pic of all vehicles passing through. You are required to list all vehicles that will be using it or a citation can be issued. Also I do not believe most of them work except in the state in which they are issued. I know that our state has been negotiating with some other states for mutual use.

The I-pass is very handy if you have to travel through Illinois. Since I have to do it to drive south and east, I carry the pass in my jacket pocket and it works every time. I don't want those ugly velcro strips showing on the bike. Also makes it easier to transfer it to the car when I have to use the cage.

I have my sunpass velcro'd to the lowest part of the inside of the windshield

I have my sunpass velcro'd to the lowest part of the inside of the windshield
The Toll Authority people said just keep in my shirt or jacket pocket. Newer systems don't require the pass at all since they read the license plate. Our new passes are stickers that de-activate if you peel them off. The old ones were about the size of a PCM card.

Also I do not believe most of them work except in the state in which they are issued. I know that our state has been negotiating with some other states for mutual use.
Not true with E-ZPass or I-Pass. E-Z Pass has the largest number of participating organizations (mostly Northeast) and I-Pass has had repricocity since 2005. Since I have one of the former (it's weird living in Washington State and getting one from New York State) I know it works in Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, and Illinois. I also know it will work in Maryland, Virginia, Indiana, West Virginia, and Ohio if I go to a road with tolls there.

ezpass_map.jpg

I also know it does not work in Oklahoma's PikePass system. For that orphan state I had to use Green-Pass.

Any other riders out there that use it? If so, where do you have it mounted? As I'm only borrowing it, I'm looking for a good temp location. Will it work sitting in the little glove box? What about in a chest pocket on my jacket?
I've had poor luck inside the glove box. On top with Velcro usually works, but I've since used Dual Loc (super Velcro) and the inside of my windshield.

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

Let's not forget that a lot of these agencies monitor more than just your movement through toll gates. Out here in California the Fastrack watches your every move along the freeway system including your speed. Just because Big Brother makes it easy, doesn't mean he isn't watching.

Glad to see so many of us have turned over our freedom once again.