Valve adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up mine at the shop after valve check, throttle body sync and fork oil change.

I have 74,000 km (about 45,000 miles)and this is the first time any of those has been done. All valves with in spec. I spoke to the mechanic and he said the throttle body syc was fine too with no adjustment necesssary. I was a bit flabergasted that everything was ok. Does this sound normal? I don't beat on her but it does get to redline occasionally.

The fork oil change presented quite a problem as they had troubles getting the seals out. He said something about over filling and then using a press to pop them out. That's appearantly how Yamaha says to do it.

One of the fork shims got buggered up and they had to order new ones. They used Yamaha M1(?) fork oil which seems to be a bit unusual and had to be ordered too. The clip on one of the fork guards got broken and they will replace it for free later as it's back ordered.

The good news is the bike runs fine after I got it back. Luckly the weather has been rainy lately as they had it a week and a half doing it.
Bring your bike over to my place and I'll check your TBS to see what your dealer calls close enough.
TILAM came over a couple weekends ago and I checked his TBS. I raised his idle from 950 to 1000 and then checked the TBS. One cylinder was out by almost 2 cm mercury. Not much. After that we went for a ride but he didn't notice any difference.

Gen2 with 28,500 on the ODO. Pulled it apart and found all valves in spec with only one ex valve on #3 close to tight. I may look a bit harder at the CCT thread and possibly replace this while I am in there. The two most difficult parts of the tear-down was the Inlet pipe for coolant and getting the cover out itself. I did not remove the throttle cables, just loosened them. We will see how it goes back together when I get some gaskets and other consumables in hand.

Yeah, I've heard the coolant inlet pipe is a PITA. Also heard that getting the cover back on without pinching the gasket can also be a major PITA. Go slowly and check your work.

Good luck!

We should start a list of consumable that are recommended/required so peeps know ahead of time. I know the dealer that does mine buys a whole bunch of shit! Some stuff I can't figure out from the list on the invoice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coolant pipe is not hard just takes a lot of wiggling and maybe something to brace the thermostat as you push the coolant pipe back into it.

And yes, the PITA is getting the valve cover back on without the gasket falling off. It makes it a ton easier if you just take off the throttle cables so you don't have to tilt the valve cover (and thereby knock the gasket off). But then you have to deal with the throttle cables again.... using some Moly grease helps the gasket stay on the valve cover. I re-used the gasket it looked great after 37k miles. Replaced the two small coolant pipe gaskets - hey were a bit squared off, re-used the large one cause the dealer didn't have one in stock - just put moly grease on it and it will get a good seal against the t-stat.

I'm going to replace my CCT sometime soon - my chain is kinda noisey. Just need to find the tools to get in there and loosen those 8mm bolts, it's a tight spot.

I'm going to replace my CCT sometime soon - my chain is kinda noisey.
BOOM!!

bent_valves1164143717.jpg

haha - yup just some good PM to prevent that. I'm sure it'd probably be fine till 100k but you never know - and they're cheap if I remember correctly. I highly doubt my chain needs replacement even with 40k moderately hard miles, so just going to do the CCT at this point.

haha - yup just some good PM to prevent that. I'm sure it'd probably be fine till 100k but you never know - and they're cheap if I remember correctly. I highly doubt my chain needs replacement even with 40k moderately hard miles, so just going to do the CCT at this point.
Dremel slots for a flat blade screwdriver in the mounting bolts & cap bolt, makes the CCT replacement lots easier. Long tweezers are handy too cause the cap bolt (and probly mounting bolts) won't fit in the frame slot and have to be held from above. A little duct tape to 'pre-pinch' the tweezers on the bolt is handy.

I didn't have one but think a good magnetic tip, flat blade screwdriver would be a good tool also.

I highly doubt that anyone really needs to replace their timing chain over the entire life of the engine. The timing chain lives an easy life, sealed away inside the engine, very low load on it and constantlty bathed in oil. The guides would wear out long before the chain does. People sometimes do replace the chain, just because they are in there, but I doubt it has ever been actually needed.

Dremel slots for a flat blade screwdriver in the mounting bolts & cap bolt, makes the CCT replacement lots easier. Long tweezers are handy too cause the cap bolt (and probly mounting bolts) won't fit in the frame slot and have to be held from above.
FWIW, I didn't have much of a problem getting the bolts to start and tightened without the ground in slots (this was from before that tip was made). The key, for me, was using a pair of long nosed hemostats to position and hold the bolts. Like these 12" ones on Amazon.

317hpEinWWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These are an indispensable tool in many occasions. If you don't have any you should try to find some.

I highly doubt that anyone really needs to replace their timing chain over the entire life of the engine. The timing chain lives an easy life, sealed away inside the engine, very low load on it and constantlty bathed in oil. The guides would wear out long before the chain does. People sometimes do replace the chain, just because they are in there, but I doubt it has ever been actually needed.

Dremel slots for a flat blade screwdriver in the mounting bolts & cap bolt, makes the CCT replacement lots easier. Long tweezers are handy too cause the cap bolt (and probly mounting bolts) won't fit in the frame slot and have to be held from above.
FWIW, I didn't have much of a problem getting the bolts to start and tightened without the ground in slots (this was from before that tip was made). The key, for me, was using a pair of long nosed hemostats to position and hold the bolts. Like these 12" ones on Amazon.

317hpEinWWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These are an indispensable tool in many occasions. If you don't have any you should try to find some.
Are they flexible enough to grab a bolt and still lock? Looks like a real handy tool!

IF you must replace the timing chain due to wear? -- then you must replace the sprockets, too.

As the chain's pitch lengthens due to wear -- the sprockets' teeth wear to accommodate the different chain pitch.

If you install a new chain on worn sprockets -- the chain's pitch soon lengthens to accommodate the pitch of the sprockets' worn teeth.

Trouble is: the FJR's crankshaft sprocket isn't replaceable...! :(

We should start a list of consumable that are recommended/required so peeps know ahead of time. I know the dealer that does mine buys a whole bunch of shit! Some stuff I can't figure out from the list on the invoice.
^^^^^ This....

Guide for the Valve adjustments... https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/valveadj.html

Are the shims yamaha specific ? I have a shop and a good tech that will help me though it, but as stated a list of consumables to have on hand prior to work and the right shims would be a big help.

^^^^^ This....

Guide for the Valve adjustments... https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/valveadj.html

Are the shims yamaha specific ? I have a shop and a good tech that will help me though it, but as stated a list of consumables to have on hand prior to work and the right shims would be a big help.
It's difficult to have the right shims beforehand as you don't know what size is required prior to measureing.

Not sure if this is available here but some Yamaha forums have a 'library' of shims that get passed around to members who are doing their valve lash. Take what you need and put your old ones back in the library.

Just got mine done including a new battery, plugs, air cleaner, oil change and fork oil changed by a guy that has 40 years experence and runs a parts shop on the side with his son. $585 with tax. Needed no adjustment, really suprising as hard as i ride @ times. :D

GEN 2 Consumables less any shims, what I ordered. Prices are from Ron Ayres

Part Number Description Qty Price Ext. Price Used for

5JW-15456-11-00 GASKET, OIL PUMP COV 1 $6.75 $6.75 The cover on the side that give access to chain

5JW-11193-00-00 GASKET, HEAD COVER 1 1 $15.14 $15.14 Valve cover gasket

93210-18417-00 O-RING 2 $1.28 $2.57 O rings for the coolant pipe

90201-12790-00 WASHER,PLATE 1 $1.26 $1.26 for the sensor on the end of the coolant pipe

Also other stuff

Coolant 1gal

Locktight

Three bond

If you have this stuff on hand and do not need to change shims you will be able to reassemble right away. If you need shims you have more procurement and it will be specific to your needs. YMMV

5JW-15456-11-00 GASKET, OIL PUMP COV 1 $6.75 $6.75 The cover on the side that give access to chain

90201-12790-00 WASHER,PLATE 1 $1.26 $1.26 for the sensor on the end of the coolant pipe

Also other stuff

Coolant 1gal

Locktight

Three bond

If you have this stuff on hand and do not need to change shims you will be able to reassemble right away. If you need shims you have more procurement and it will be specific to your needs. YMMV
boy--this detail is great...but it'd be great to have for GenIII. I'm trying to find these parts so I can do this on my '14 ES next week, and, man! the parts places make it so hard to find stuff. If I knew the part number...it just mystifies me why I can't search for "2014 FJR 1300ES coolant o-ring" and have a narrowed choice.

To that end, these part numbers don't seem to apply to my bike. Any pointers to a topic where the GenIII part numbers are shown? TIA.

EDIT: Near as I can tell, the o-rings needed are the thermostat pipe 1 o-rings...right?

Letting more air in would make it idle faster. Although just one vacuum cap off would likely just cause a stumbling idle with not that big of an effect on overall idle speed.
The cold high idle system just lets more air in bypassing the throttle valves. More air equates to a lower vacuum at the MAP sensor which is interpreted as opening the throttle valves a bit.

I wonder if the coolant temp sensor is working properly? Good readout on the screen?

Most likely a cam chain slippage when installing the tensioner.

It's amazing how things can get bollixed so completely when letting a tech crawl all over your bike. How could he release it to the customer with the idle so ragged?

"Do no harm" is not well understood at too many shops.
On my 03, the first time I checked the throttle synch, one of the cover nipples was not there. It was not idling badly, I think there is not enough of a leak even without the rubber cover to make an FJR idle high.

Also other stuff

Coolant 1gal

Locktight

Three bond

boy--this detail is great...but it'd be great to have for GenIII. I'm trying to find these parts so I can do this on my '14 ES next week, and, man! the parts places make it so hard to find stuff. If I knew the part number...it just mystifies me why I can't search for "2014 FJR 1300ES coolant o-ring" and have a narrowed choice.
To that end, these part numbers don't seem to apply to my bike. Any pointers to a topic where the GenIII part numbers are shown? TIA.

EDIT: Near as I can tell, the o-rings needed are the thermostat pipe 1 o-rings...right?
Look at the parts fiche at any of the on-line vendors. You will find the coolant pipe (Described as "Pipe 1") in the Water Pump fiche.https://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2013/FJR1300A - FJR13ADG/WATER PUMP/parts.html

The O-rings for this are

https://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-93210-18417-00.html

Pretty clear from the diagram. Or you could use the recommended plumbing O-rings as described in one (or more) of the FJY "How-to" postings.

Also other stuff

Coolant 1gal

Locktight

Three bond

Look at the parts fiche at any of the on-line vendors. You will find the coolant pipe (Described as "Pipe 1") in the Water Pump fiche.https://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2013/FJR1300A - FJR13ADG/WATER PUMP/parts.html

The O-rings for this are

https://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-93210-18417-00.html

Pretty clear from the diagram. Or you could use the recommended plumbing O-rings as described in one (or more) of the FJY "How-to" postings.
Awesome--fortunately, I did buy the right ones ;) It's part # 93210-18417-00 for the o-rings. Gracias!

Ive done many valve clearance checks in the past, five on my own FJR and about the same number for friends, and Ive discussed the process with many others who have done it too. I can tell you with near absolute certainty that you will never need the valve cover gasket set. It is a very thick and hardy rubber gasket that will survive plenty of mishandling, and even misinstallation, with no damage. The only way I see the gasket (and the spark plug hole donuts) needing to be replaced is after many, many, many years of use, if the rubber hardens and cracks. So far Ive never seen that.

On the first removal I like to seal it to the cover with gasket compound, and not seal it to the block at the bottom interface. That makes removals and installation a piece of cake. Ive never had one leak. The proof is in th3 pudding.

The sensor on the end of the coolant pipe doesnt need to be removed. Disconnect the electrical connector and leave it screwed into the coolant pipe.

You will definitely need to replace the two o-rings on that coolant pipe. Dont be tempted to try to reuse th3 old ones. They will leak. And they are dirt cheap at any big box or plumbing supply joint.

Having the timing chain cover gasket on hand is a good idea as it is a coated paper type of gasket. Youll probably get a little adhesion tearing if you have to pull that cover, which youll only have to do if you are actually adjusting the clearance, or replacing the tensioner at the same time.

The only way I see the gasket (and the spark plug hole donuts) needing to be replaced is after many, many, many years of use, if the rubber hardens and cracks. So far Ive never seen that.
I agree with everything you have said, Fred. Just a note on the valve cover gasket - at the last check (175,000 miles or so), I noticed that the spark plug hole rubber donuts are starting to harden up a bit. They still seal OK but I will have a much closer look at the next check. I suspect that even if you somehow managed to damage the gasket (most likely by pinching it when re-installing the cover) you could probably fix it up (at least temporarily) with O2 sensor-safe RTV silicone. No real pressure in there.